aargh. It is easier to just stay home! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD just turned 3 and DS just turned 1.  It is a HUGE pain to get out of the house.  DD never wants to go anywhere.  There is always a tantrum when we are getting ready to go to the Y, playground, etc.  To the point where she is kicking her shoes off, yanking her pants off, hiding, etc.  If I DO get her out the door, she has a fit when I try to get her in the carseat. 

When we get to our destination, lets say the playground, she has fun but then won't leave.  It is hard with a 1 year old.  I can't very well put him in the car while I chase DD so I can carry her to the car.  It is just a flipping nightmare.  We tried playgroups and stuff but same situation.. if we get there, she doesn't want to leave.

I am always shocked to see women with 3 kids (well-behaved) at the grocery store. I could NEVER do that.  DS is pretty easy.  Maybe DD is just being 3? 

Help!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#2 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 04:55 PM

sounds to me like your 3 year old is just being 3. I have two 3 year old nephews that are both a handful about half the time, but then again I haven't had my own 3 year old yet, so I'm not sure from experience. I have a feeling I'll probably be posting a post just like this in another year when I have a 3 year old! lol

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#3 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 AM

Oh, some are easier than others. DD was easy this way. Barely any complaints (at 3. 4 and 5 have proved to be more challenging!).

Based on his current temperament, I suspect I'm in for a rougher time with DS. They all have their own personalities, and I think they probably all go through a really challenging period or two at some age or other.

Usual suggestions - count-downs (10 minutes till we leave, or 3 more pushes on the swing, etc), stating expectations, distraction or being funny, etc. Sometimes they even work!! :)

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#4 of 5 Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I will try these suggestions.  I have also been sorta building up our destination to DD... "we are going to see Grammie, and you can play with tha cash register!!!!"  etc.  Sometimes it works, sometimes she is screaming too loud to hear me.  AARGH.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#5 of 5 Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 AM

I have four and it's all temperament.  They're all different.  Those kids you see at the grocery store were born that way, lol.

4 kids under 10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page