I have a hard time going to bed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am naturally a night owl, so I know that is a part of it, but I am starting to wonder if I just crave the alone time. Does anyone else have this issue? I try to go to bed at 11 pm, but I usually end up staying awake until 1 or 2 am. I only go to bed then because that is when DS wakes up and I bring him to bed with me. I am very tired in the morning and am seriously dragging until lunchtime. Anyone overcome this and start to get more rest?

joy.giflurk.gif

#2 of 13 Old 12-20-2010, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

no advice just peeping up so you know your not alone. im the same and both of my dc(8,4) are nihgt owls also so they sleep in a bit later then most because we HS.

#3 of 13 Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 AM

I do that. Every night. Tell myself I'll go to bed at 10 pm, and end up still up at 1 am.

If dh is home, I do go to bed earlier, 'cause I value the time with him more than I value alone time.  But now that he is away (home soon, yay!), I cannot make myself go to bed earlier.  Those quiet hours in the middle of the night seem too good to waste on sleep.  I get a lot of sewing and writing done during that time.

#4 of 13 Old 12-21-2010, 11:35 AM

Yep, this is me too, even though I know I'll be exhausted the next morning. I get into knitting, or reading, or surfing, and suddenly it's 11:30 or midnight.

I don't have any suggestions on how to make it better. I've done it for years, and yeah it's partly because the house is QUIET and I'm an introvert and love peace. Sometimes, that's more valuable to my soul than sleep is to my body!

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#5 of 13 Old 12-21-2010, 05:33 PM

Yep, me too. I never was a night owl, but nighttime is the only time I have to myself. Sometimes I feel like I have a little one touching me or talking to me 24/7 so I really need *some* time to myself, even if it means I'm going to have to drink a pot of coffee in the morning.

#6 of 13 Old 12-21-2010, 05:36 PM

I am a night owl. I try to get in bed by 2 but can stay up as late as 4. For me though the kids are in school so after they are gone in the morning I lay down and sleep until time to pick them up from school. It works well for me and I do end up getting enough sleep in the long run.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdita_in_Ontario View Post

Yep, this is me too, even though I know I'll be exhausted the next morning. I get into knitting, or reading, or surfing, and suddenly it's 11:30 or midnight.

I don't have any suggestions on how to make it better. I've done it for years, and yeah it's partly because the house is QUIET and I'm an introvert and love peace. Sometimes, that's more valuable to my soul than sleep is to my body!

This is me exactly.  The problem with that though is that I have to be up early in the morning to get the kids off to school.  Sometimes I wish we homeschooled just so we could run on our schedule instead of the rest of the world's. LOL  My kids are all night owls as well and I usually have a hard time getting them to bed at a decent hour.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#8 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Same here as well.. doing it right now! I've always been this way, but with an infant starting to walk and giving me very little free time all day, I really need this time for myself. I just end up going to bed super-early every so often. Which I'm sure isn't a healthy sleep habit... I think for me the problem is partly from being disorganized. But I can't finish that thought now as DD is waking! Good night!

#9 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am here too, even though I know it would be far better for me to sleep....

I have been told though, that if you lay on your right side, breathe methodically for 20 breaths, then lay on your left side, same breaths, then on your back, same breaths, you'll fall asleep.  I do this sometimes and it works great.

#10 of 13 Old 12-23-2010, 12:43 AM

yup still a night owl *checks time* Sheepish.gif i do feel better and so much more rested if i actually go to bed before 11pm. maybe a new years resolution?

mama to one '07 and one '09
#11 of 13 Old 12-31-2010, 07:39 PM

Another night owl here.  I'm usually in bed by midnight, but I keep trying/wishing I could make myself go to bed by 10:30.  I'm tired all the time.  But those quiet hours are just so delicious.  Wish I could make myself get up earlier, before the kids, to exercise, get ready for the day, etc. when I'm rested and alert.  Maybe someday!

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#12 of 13 Old 01-01-2011, 06:34 AM

I do..not usually past midnight, but DS sleeps for the most part from 8-8, so I know if I go to bed at 12 I'll get 8 hours..Of course those nights are usually the ones he wakes up for one reason or another! lol. no tips..maybe just read before bed rather than crafting, computer or tv. reading usually makes me sleepy even when I'm not.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#13 of 13 Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Yep, me, too. I can't figure out how to avoid it. I just enjoy the quiet and the freedom to do what I want to do without the kids clambering all over me. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page