Single stay at home mama with just one baby and no routine or schedule. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd kinda like to have a nice little routine or schedule going, but I'm not sure how to get it started. He's a sleeper my boy and lets me sleep late, until about 10am or so most days. Is it ok for me to sleep that late or should I get up earlier? I don't have anything to do or anyone else to take care of so I figure it's ok to sleep until he tells me he needs me to get out of bed. What does everyone else do?

#2 of 4 Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 AM

Enjoy it while you can! E slept late at that age.. now at 4.5mos she's up with the sun!!

The easiest way to start a routine is just to do it. If you get up at 10, starting thinking about a nap around 11:30 or 12.. then, when you get up, think about another nap 1.5 to 2 hrs later... Pretty much you just go on the 1.5 to 2 hour cycle until bedtime. If he's getting up at 10 you want to make sure bedtime is no later than 10 so that he gets the chance to sleep (with feeding) for 12 hours. At his age that's pretty much it for the sleep/wake routine. 

Another way to add in routine is to have a bath every evening after it gets dark out, or have tummy time every morning when you first get up...  just seeing what you like to do and making a point to do it around the same time every day. Voila! Routine!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#3 of 4 Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

He eats and naps whenever during the day and goes to bed when I  do around 11pm or so. Oh and most of his naps are in my lap while he nurses. I'm trying to get a new cleaning routine going right now so maybe I'll add bath time at 7pm and then start to give him a bed time of 8pm or so. That's the bed time I'd like him to have later on anyway. 

#4 of 4 Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM

For both of my babies, routine just kind of happened around 4 or 5 months old.  Before then, they're just sleeping and eating on demand, but somewhere around there, their brains start falling into more predictable patterns.  If I were you, I'd just watch him, keep tabs on when he's tending to sleep and eat, and then form your schedule around what you observe.  

I'm also a BIG fan of early bedtimes, and that seems to help with the scheduling, I think.  Both my little girls, around 4 months or so, started going to bed at 6:30-7, and that sort of formed my day: Up in the morning, feeding, 3 naps with feedings afterwards, dinner, bath, feeding before bed, and bed.  Worth thinking about, but of course everyone's got their own way!

I'm Scott, acd.gif  fuzmalesling.gif  treehugger.gif  part-time classical musician and stay-at-home dad, with two beautiful girls, born March 2008 and May 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page