any advice on stroller? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am having a baby this winter and I remember how hard it was pushing my son around in a regular stroller in the snow, there is no way I want to go through that again I spent more time trying to carry the stroller cause it always got stuck. 

This thing looks really cool but I wanted to know if anyone has tried this before I buy one. http://sanki.ca/sanki/

thanks!
#2 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Personally I prefer to carry my infants in a carrier especially in winter. That way they are keeping warm right next to me. My ds was born last December and I found the ergo with a infant insert or a ring sling to be very comfortable.

I don't have experience with the stroller you linked, but I do wonder how effective it would be if you found yourself in more melting snow. Where I am we get a fair amount of snow but it can often get warm in the afternoons and start melting out the sidewalks. I'd hate to be stuck with then another stroller I couldn't push, kwim.

#3 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 01:29 PM

I'm all about BWing too.  So much easier :)

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#4 of 11 Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't have any advice about a stroller because I also carry my DD on my back, but I did find these links - one is a review of the stroller you posted.  Maybe it will be helpful?

http://moms4mom.com/questions/1511/what-stroller-would-you-suggest-for-snow
http://www.bassgiraffe.com/2010/12/snow-stroller-review.html

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#5 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

Never heard of them - kind of cool though.

Have you considered getting a jogging stroller?  The big wheels would be easier to push through snow, and then you could use it year round.

#6 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 AM

I don't know where you live, so that might make a difference in what you are looking for.  I used to live in Norway (very snowy!) and people used these sled/strollers ALL THE TIME.  I never had one, but always thought they would be handy to have if I ever had the space to store one.  Older people would also use cart-style ones to walk home with groceries and such.  Great to have if you live in a snowy place and maybe are without a car.  I live on a farm and love, love, love my BOB stroller.  I have the fixed front wheel, ATV type and it's great.  I can get over lots of terrain with it and the kiddo gets a smooth ride.  It goes places that a conventional stroller could never go.  It would be difficult to put a newborn in it, but we did put my son it in at around 6 weeks or so, but we had to really support him all around with rolled up blankets and such.  Babywearing is great, I have an Ergo and a sling that I use often, but it's not always practical, depending on what you are doing.   

Happy wife of Treading.gif  mom to L lady.gif and Mjog.gif

#7 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 02:03 PM

If you get a huge amount of snow, that looks like it could work.  Babywearing is great unless the ground is so slippy that it is hard to walk.  A jogging stroller with large wheels is probably the best wheeled stroller.

#8 of 11 Old 01-08-2011, 08:29 PM

I have an arsenal of strollers. I love them! I have all kinds, but my absolute favorite is my 6-year-old Jeep Liberty. We're in central Illinois and we can get really heavy snow here sometimes. I've taken her out in some crazy snow drifts and it's never been stuck or hung up. It's like a plow. My friend has the new one and it has better suspension, but it's heavier and the baskets aren't as nice. I didn't look at your links yet, but before you invest in something really expensive, I would suggest checking out the Jeep. I used to drive a truck and kept the stroller in the back with no topper. It was bounced around, snowed on, rained on, and 6 years later is pretty beat-up looking but functions just fine.

I also agree with finding a carrier that you love. I have more carriers than I do strollers. I'd be lost without them, especially my mei tais!

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#9 of 11 Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 PM

I checked out the snow strollers--very cool! Burley bike trailers have optional conversion kits for x-country skiing. If you'll have 2 kids in the stroller, I definitely recommend a Burley! I have also had a few double strollers and none of them beat the Burley. It handles so well, has a huge storage space, and is roomy and comfortable for my kids. You can get an infant seat for it too. We have had the 2 kids plus a litter of 5 puppies in ours and they all fell asleep on the ride! We use ours as a bike trailer every day in 3 seasons and I use it all year as a stroller, even now that my oldest is 6. DH jokes that it folds to twice its size, so if storage is a problem it might not work.

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#10 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 12:39 PM

i use a jogging stroller. DS2 has always been TOO big for a carrier. plus he falls asleep for hours in the stroller. i just put a weather shield overtop if it's windy and bundle him up in his snowsuit and away we go :) i'm hoping to be able to carry baby 3 in a carrier though or i don't think we'll ever get to leave the house next winter!

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#11 of 11 Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebalmmama View Post

Personally I prefer to carry my infants in a carrier especially in winter. That way they are keeping warm right next to me. My ds was born last December and I found the ergo with a infant insert or a ring sling to be very comfortable.

I don't have experience with the stroller you linked, but I do wonder how effective it would be if you found yourself in more melting snow. Where I am we get a fair amount of snow but it can often get warm in the afternoons and start melting out the sidewalks. I'd hate to be stuck with then another stroller I couldn't push, kwim.

I had a sled stroller (similar to the sled strollers in the link, except it was for pulling, not pushing) when my first son was a baby.  It worked great when there was a snowstorm, but when the sidewalks were starting to melt, or after the streets were plowed, it was nearly impossible to use.  I wouldn't go that route again.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page