What is your plan for when all your children are in school? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are seriously contemplating homeschooling, so it's likely I'll stay at home. :)  If we don't, I will probably return to work very part time.  I have a graduate degree and could easily be an adjunct instructor at a local college or work very part time as a contractor.  With DH being military (and potentially being gone a lot), it's very important to us to have one parent at home for the kids' stability.  When DH retires from the military, we've talked about him staying at home (he'd be an awesome homeschool teacher too!) and me returning to work full time.  I've kept lots of contacts with my old job and I imagine I could go back easily (I've been asked several times already).

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#32 of 38 Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAmom View Post

When all of my children are finally in school, I'm going to leisurely drink morning coffee..... I'm going to go to the bathroom without anyone fighting the minute my derriere hits the seat..... I'm going to exercise regularly because I will actually be able to take a shower afterward.  If I'm still looking anywhere on the internet, I will be able to post something without being interrupted and having my train of thought blown.

I will be able to find ME again.  I will read a book that actually might have content, that isn't a board book or has to do with dinosaurs.  I'll start to listen to music again, after a period of sitting and enjoying complete silence.  I'll get outside and go into the garden and get my hands dirty for hours..... pull weeds, prune, even just sit and look around.  I may even be able to finally go through and organize my house.  Get rid of enough junk in the garage to pull out my painting stuff and paint again.  

Of course, right now, that is my plan, which feels more like a fantasy.  It won't happen for 3 more years.......  

EXACTLY!! My dd started Kindergarten this year and ya know what? Sometimes I just sit and do NOTHING and it feels great! After 5 years of sacrificing so much...I actually threw myself a girls only party at a bar this summer just before school started to celebrate my new found freedom. Some of my working Mom friends have said, "So what are you doing now that Kay is in School?" to which I answer, "Not a damn thing! Remembering who I am I guess!"

I will say that I finally started losing weight naturally. It's coming off at about 1-2 lbs a week just because I have the time to think about myself and breathe and sit in silence. I'm not dieting AT ALL.

I am starting to miss working and having my own money. Actually applied for a few jobs this week. Part time of course...

Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...:
#33 of 38 Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have a first grader and a sixth grader.  I got a dog last year.  So I have to walk and play with the dog during the day.  It can actually crimp my style. :D  Sunday I'm gone for half the day with church, choir, then later handbell choir.  Monday is my community choir.  I have LLL meetings once a month, Deacon's meeting once a month, I am on the board of directors for my choir, I'm the secretary for the Deacons, I'm the treasurer for my LLL group.  Then there are the LLL phone calls, which can take time.  I also volunteer at the school.  I work in the library and help with various fundraisers and the art, although I haven't done much with art this year, just a few projects, but there will be more stuff coming up in April.  But the library is once or twice a week, and I also volunteer in the classroom for about an hour a week.  And there are duties being a deacon, like visiting people in the hospital and stuff.  My 11 year old is in a choir and I have to help her practice her music, practice my music.  I also practice my violin and viola when I can.  I was considering playing in a community orchestra, but my husband was all, "You're never home as it is."  I'm working on the yearbook for the school which so far means I just have been taking photos, but that will pick up soon. I am have to volunteer at least 10 hours with my daughter's choir, and I agreed to do the publicity and help with the publicity with my choir.  And I also agreed to take on the grant writing for my choir, which isn't a big task.  A lot of the volunteer tasks I do aren't huge, the grant writing was the most time consuming lately, however, just because it took a specific time frame and I had to get it done and get stuff mailed in and all that.

Then there is e-mail, facebook and Mothering and making meals, doing dishes, doing laundry, exercising, watching tv.  It's easy to use up the time. :D

#34 of 38 Old 03-03-2011, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

OK, really deep breath . . . I started looking at a paralegal cert program here in town.  My "when children are in school," by the way, is our upcoming empty nest when DS2 leaves for college in the fall.  I've been a SAHM for over 21 years now, so my head is spinning.  I sound like that Dear Abby letter:  "But if I go for my certification I'll be FIFTY in two years!"

Gulp.

journeymom likes this.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#35 of 38 Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Maria, GO FOR IT!  50 is young! Learning something new, working and being busy in worthwhile work-  it keeps your brain healthy. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#36 of 38 Old 03-06-2011, 12:57 PM

I homeschool my oldest, and may continue to do so.  My younger kids are a few years out yet from the issue of school.  There *may* be another at some point, but we're wrestling with that for a bit now.  If we go ahead with that- it will be sooner rather than later.

I have been to school, and I have a BA and MA.  I do freelance a bit still. It has been important to me that I keep some contacts and doors open.   I will be home full time until the youngest child is 5 or 6 anyway- according to plan. (We all know how plans work.) I am hoping to take the next year or so to decide 'what I want to be when I grow up' and rebuild my resume in that direction so I will be marketable in that field.  Right now, I am employable, but not in a field I would really enjoy and thrive in... it would simply be a job to pay the bills.  I refuse to put myself in a position where I could not leave and support myself and the kids on my own. I love and trust DH, but to feel secure, I need to have options.            

At this point however, DH and I do not envision my ever returning to work FT unless it becomes financially necessary.  I would like to be available to the kids if they are in school, and would probably opt to work part time.                                           

#37 of 38 Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 PM

I have 4 kids in school (10th, 7th, 6th and 3rd grades), and a 21 month old at home.  I'm at home for a LONG time!

But to be honest, as the "big kids" have gotten older, and headed into the teen years/high school, I've been glad that I'm still at home.  It seems like they almost need you more then.  When kids are little, they need you more for their physical needs, but teens need you for emotional needs.  I'm very blessed to be able to stay at home and our house has become the neighborhood hang out for the kids in the area.  It's nice to always know where the kids are - because they're HERE!

My husband's job takes him away for extended periods of time quite often, so it would be difficult (not impossible, of course!) for me to work.  I'm a nurse by education, and 12 hour days are long.

However, when the baby started preschool, we'll have a freshman in college.  Maybe I'll go drive a school bus so I'll still have time to garden and sew!

#38 of 38 Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLittleMonkeys View Post

But to be honest, as the "big kids" have gotten older, and headed into the teen years/high school, I've been glad that I'm still at home.  It seems like they almost need you more then.  When kids are little, they need you more for their physical needs, but teens need you for emotional needs.  I'm very blessed to be able to stay at home and our house has become the neighborhood hang out for the kids in the area.  It's nice to always know where the kids are - because they're HERE!

This is very much my goal. I want to give them space and freedom, and I certainly don't plan to hover, but being able to provide a safe and comfortable place to be is something I really strive for. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page