What is your plan for when all your children are in school? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you're not planning to homeschool, of course winky.gif.  My youngest will be starting kindergarten in August (Illinois, so full day) and I'm kind of paralyzed thinking about my future.  That will be 7 hours with no children to play with, care for, feed, etc.  Do I go back to work?  Can I even get a job since I haven't been in my field since 2002?  Do I volunteer?  Do I go to the gym every day and get super buff ROTFLMAO.gif?!  What is your plan?  And if you've already passed the point where all your children are in school, what did you do, how did you make the decision, and do you wish you'd done anything differently?  The most important thing to me is being at home when they get out of school, so that rules out a "career" type job...  Ack!  I'm just feeling lost.

TwinMom likes this.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#2 of 38 Old 01-06-2011, 11:10 AM

My youngest started school this year.  While I certainly have more free-time than I had in prior years, you may be shocked to learn how much time having a child in school uses up.  For our family, that includes the driving to and from school, packing lunches and cleaning the lunch boxes, volunteering in the classroom, attending class parties and events, making sure the kids have everything they need for school (clean uniforms, supplies, random weird stuff the teacher requests), half days of school, and sick days.  Plus once I leave to pick up the kids, my afternoon until late that night is completely taken up with homework, after school activities, checking their backpacks and signing their planners, preparing dinner, dishes, reading and bedtime routines, washing thermoses, etc.  It's kind of crazy how much time I spend with nothing tangible to show for it (the whole "Groundhog's Day" going on).

I do work part-time and volunteer, both at school and in the community.  

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#3 of 38 Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 PM

My line of work involves me being a freelancer, so it's a little different for me, I guess.  I've been doing a VERY small amount of freelancing while staying at home with my girls (a few hours a week), in an attempt to keep enough of my career going that when they get to be school-age (still pretty far away for me) I can move back towards something like full-time... maybe 25-30 hours a week or so. That's the plan right now... we'll see how it goes once my 7-month-old gets to kindergarten.  (Wait, she's going to be a kindergartener?  I'm not sure I'm ready for that!)

I'm Scott, acd.gif  fuzmalesling.gif  treehugger.gif  part-time classical musician and stay-at-home dad, with two beautiful girls, born March 2008 and May 2010.
#4 of 38 Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 AM

I have an only child who started first grade last fall, and right now I SAH.  It's important for me to be able to take him to and from school, so full time work is out for me too.  I was signed up for a teacher cert. program, but backed out because of the time commitment.  Honestly, that was a great decision.  I volunteer at my local food coop about 5 hours per week(split between 2 mornings), One morning a week I volunteer in my son's classroom, and I also help out in the library one afternoon a week.  I scour the thrift shops in my "spare" time to find really great quality clothes and items for the family, which makes it possible for me to stay home.  I also cook most of the meals, and try to have something ready every night. I organize and clean the house, because I like it clean...and we have a lot of pets.  My sister just moved here, and I spent the months since September getting her house ready for her (painting, repairs, etc.).  She is partially disabled, so now some of my time will be spent helping her out...shoveling the walk, doing minor work on the home, helping with groceries, etc.  My afternoons/evenings are basically just like a pp mentioned.  My son has homework, piano, taekwondo, etc...so we always have something to do.

In a few years when he is older and such, I will probably work at least part time.  Right now it is working great for our family for me to stay at home.  My DH loves that we have healthy meals everyday, and so do I.  We have a special diet (I eat paleo, and we all have food allergies), so it's especially important that we eat well.  I just love having the time to improve our quality of life...sounds kind of weird, but it is working great for us. 

#5 of 38 Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 AM

I only have one child (and am really hoping to keep it that way) who is 13 months old.  I am going back to school starting this summer for a nursing degree, and plan to have it completed by the time ds begins kindergarten, at which point I will be ready to begin my new career.  I love working and am very exited!

journeymom likes this.
#6 of 38 Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 PM

I have one, presently he's in preschool 5 mornings per week, and I do use that time to go to the gym (LU-HUV IT!!!)  I left my job in October and as much as I love the gym, I do miss the day-to-day chatter and camaraderie of the office and I miss the better-defined "time off."  When I was working just weekends I had a better sense of "whoa, I'm so lucky to have this life, that I get M-F free" but now that I have Sun thru Sat free, I feel like I'm not cherishing it enough, I so easily started to take it for granted.  In the end I could see it going either way, either I get involved with the school and activities, or I get a low-stress PT job.

#7 of 38 Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 AM

I definitely plan on going to work part-time.  I would be ok with my kids going to after-school care a couple times a week.  I can't wait to get back to working!!  When my oldest turned 3 I finally finished my degree and haven't worked in that field yet, so I'm excited to start down the career path.  I really miss adult conversation and using my brain to do things that are not kid-related.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#8 of 38 Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM

My youngest will start school in a year and a half (not that I'm counting)Sheepish.gif. I am really hoping to go back to school and get my degree.

#9 of 38 Old 01-18-2011, 04:39 PM

All of my kids are in school now (though, my youngest is about to turn 4, and is in a 5-day a week half-day Montessori program).  Next year he'll go all day, which will make my job as a full-time student even easier.  So, that's what I'm doing; going back to school to finish a degree... with plans to continue on to grad school.  I imagine I'll have a good career in about 5 years - when I'm 36 years old.  After being a SAHM with four kids for a decade, it's nice to do something for me.  :)

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 38 Old 01-18-2011, 04:45 PM

I'm just getting back into going back to school for myself this semester and once my littlest go into kindergarten (they are almost 4 now) I will have maybe a year or so left of full time school, then I'll hopefully begin my new career once I graduate.  I honestly didn't have much of a career before I started staying home (did accounts payable for an O&G company) and have tried to find work since then but after more than a few years out of the field I believe I'm considered to be slightly washed up LOL.  The main reason I will be going back to work is that we're sort of stretching it for me to be a SAHM but if we didn't financially need it, I'd probably stay home while they were in school.

I do the gym thing with the kiddos now, they love the kid care and I like the quiet exercise time.  I could definitely see how you could fill up your days as a schooler SAHM because I watch my neighbor trot off to the school each morning to volunteer for this or that (she has 2 in elementary and 1 in JH).   She stays very busy and enjoys having a part in all of the activities.

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

#11 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 AM

Once all the kids are in school, I'll get a PT low stress job and go back to school, probably part time online. It will be important to me to be home when the kids get home and to be available to them during the day should they need me. The plan is that once I finish my degree (in goodness only knows what...) the kids will all be old enough to not need me immediately after school so I can start a career path. Course, since #3 isn't even born yet, this is all pretty hypothetical and subject to change!!

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#12 of 38 Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 PM

I want to go back to work. I really miss working, and I get worried that so much time out of the job market will make it hard for me to go back.  I started a Master's program, which I'm doing very part time right now, and I hope that will help.  I want to have 2-3 more children and stay at home with them at least until preschool, so I will be at home for a while longer.  But I am so looking forward to getting back to work!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#13 of 38 Old 01-20-2011, 08:53 AM

When all of my children are finally in school, I'm going to leisurely drink morning coffee..... I'm going to go to the bathroom without anyone fighting the minute my derriere hits the seat..... I'm going to exercise regularly because I will actually be able to take a shower afterward.  If I'm still looking anywhere on the internet, I will be able to post something without being interrupted and having my train of thought blown.

I will be able to find ME again.  I will read a book that actually might have content, that isn't a board book or has to do with dinosaurs.  I'll start to listen to music again, after a period of sitting and enjoying complete silence.  I'll get outside and go into the garden and get my hands dirty for hours..... pull weeds, prune, even just sit and look around.  I may even be able to finally go through and organize my house.  Get rid of enough junk in the garage to pull out my painting stuff and paint again.  

Of course, right now, that is my plan, which feels more like a fantasy.  It won't happen for 3 more years.......  

#14 of 38 Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAmom View Post

When all of my children are finally in school, I'm going to leisurely drink morning coffee..... I'm going to go to the bathroom without anyone fighting the minute my derriere hits the seat..... I'm going to exercise regularly because I will actually be able to take a shower afterward.  If I'm still looking anywhere on the internet, I will be able to post something without being interrupted and having my train of thought blown.

I will be able to find ME again.  I will read a book that actually might have content, that isn't a board book or has to do with dinosaurs.  I'll start to listen to music again, after a period of sitting and enjoying complete silence.  I'll get outside and go into the garden and get my hands dirty for hours..... pull weeds, prune, even just sit and look around.  I may even be able to finally go through and organize my house.  Get rid of enough junk in the garage to pull out my painting stuff and paint again.  

Of course, right now, that is my plan, which feels more like a fantasy.  It won't happen for 3 more years.......  

WELL SAID!!!clap.gif

It's not fantasy mama! It will happen! (although, feels like just a memory since my kids have been home all week with the flu!)

#15 of 38 Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM

Yes FAmom!!!!!! Me too!!

My youngest started pre-school this year, 3 days a week for 3 hours a day. I was panicking at first, thinking what am I going to do the 3 hours?!?!? OMG, I love it! Now I'm counting down the time until he's in full-time school. 

Now, I'm not saying that is how it will be forever, but I do definitely plan on spending time with myself for a couple of years. If I get bored, then I'll re-assess. 

#16 of 38 Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 AM

Nice to see this thread, as I am trying to figure it out too. Youngest is in school < 3 hrs three days a week now, and will be in for 3.5 hours 5 days a week next year. I used to think I would jump right back into the work force, but am finding the time I do have with DS more precious since he's been away at school for 6.5 hours per day and feeling the time slip by faster than I used to. And the last couple years have been super fun. So now, just when we were planning on getting my income back I am stalling. I definitely want a career/ professional identity back, but am less in a hurry about it then I thought I'd be now that I have the SAHM thing down.

Options I am tossing around now:

grad school/ retrain for new career

preschool teacher (puts me working less hours than my kids are in school so I can still regroup/ exercise/ volunteer and have summers off)

get knocked up and start all over so I don't have to figure it out for 6 more years

attempt to break into freelance writing

reopen home daycare very part time

pull the kids out of public school and try homeschooling

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#17 of 38 Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuko View Post

get knocked up and start all over so I don't have to figure it out for 6 more years

This is what I've been trying to do!  biglaugh.gif

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#18 of 38 Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Well, we homeschool, but I'm finally getting to the point of not having a *baby* around.  I have *kids* now.  I am finding that I now have some time to explore things I'd like to do, and actually have time while my kids are doing their schoolwork, playing together, playing with friends, etc.  I ordered my first cheese making supplies to try my hand at that.  We raise bees and I'd like to start actually using the beeswax!  Oh, the possibilities are endless!!  My garden should rock this year, and I should be able to concentrate on finally getting a website up about our rabbits (I've been asked and asked and asked where my webpage is.....).

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#19 of 38 Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 AM

I have three kids:  one in 3rd grade, two in 2nd.  I too went through the zOMG MUST HAVE BABY I ONLY KNOW HOW TO DO THAT!!! freakout when the boys went into 1st grade.  (Perhaps I felt that even more intensely because all those year of 3 kids in less than 2 years lead to a very intense young parenting experience)  A very very VERY wise friend of mine urged me to sit on that for a year.  I'm so glad I did so--if I'd been pregnant while adjusting to my kids being away all day at the same time, I would have been a mess, and would have really stressed my partner AND my kids out, not to mention making a pretty major decision while in a full fledge fear reaction.  Dunno about you, but I have never made the best decision when I was totally reactive and in panic mode.

However.  As a BTDT, you will not believe this but I can't stress to you enough about how little free time you have even if you SAH with kids in school (I do, and don't at this point have any desire or need to go back to paid employment under someone else), esp. if you get involved with their education (something I highly recommend).  I find i have to zealously guard my time in order to have SOME time at home and for ME--otherwise literally I would be going/doing for someone else every minute of the day.  In many respects I feel I am far busier now than I ever was when I had 3 kids under the age of 2 in my home, or three preschoolers.

As far a personal long range plan--I love pottery and clay sculpture and plan on persuing that more (in fact, am doing so currently).  If I sell some works here and there, great.  It's kind of odd, I always thought of myself as a writer (and I enjoy that too) but now I see myself more of a clay artist.  Very slowly I am setting up a home studio as time permits me to work on it (I have access to a lot of open studio time elsewhere).  But I also *like* being a homemaker.  I am more of a homemaker now than I ever was as a mother of very young children, which is how it should be IMO.  When your children are very young you should really concentrate on them.  Now I have time to actually do stuff around the house without A) my horde instantly destroying it, I get to enjoy it for a few hours, and B) feeling guilty about the time it takes away from my partner and kids and C) feeling cranky and powerless as I never accomplished anything because of the previous two things.

Of course, I was content with my life before kids.  I accomplished everything I wanted to academically, so the thought of going back to school is just yuck to me.  I would want to take a bunch of remedial stuff (I graduated with my degree in 96, I don't remember anything from calculus or physics or stuff like that) why?  The thought of grad school gives me the willies.  I am smart, but Academia just ain't my thing.  I hate cubicle employment.  I really enjoyed corrections and working with homeless folks, but I can have more fun (and only marginally less pay, ha ha) as a volunteer working with my folks.  Once i am done with some school (my kids school) obligations I may persue some wildlife rehabilitation work (first as a volunteer, maybe professionally later, if it's not too much of a bother).

I can see how this lifestyle might not appeal to everyone, but I've always been kind of a weird person so...it works for me.  :)

#20 of 38 Old 01-23-2011, 10:42 AM

Hey Tigerchild, Thanks for the post. It is a good perspective for me to consider!

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#21 of 38 Old 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Loved your post Tigerchild!

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#22 of 38 Old 01-26-2011, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My kids are in 10th grade and 6th grade.  I've been a sahm for almost 14 years. It's been wonderful!  I had some college, did not finish, do not have a degree.  Still had a very good job prior to being a full-time sahm.

I agree, those first few years when both kids were in school were surprisingly busy.  I'm so glad I could help out in their classes a bit.

I'm now looking for a job.  Here is what I wish I'd done.  I wish that a few years ago, maybe when the youngest was in second grade, I had chosen some sort of vocation (xray tech? pharmacy tech? dental tech? medical office admin? small business admin? baking classes? ) and enrolled in school.  I'm only a few units away from an AA in US History, wish I could put that AA on my resume.

I wish I had picked a cause that I like, and had volunteered in an official capacity, so that I could put that on my resume.  My impression is that employers are willing enough to accept that moms sometimes have long blank spots in their employment history on their resumes, IF they can show that they've been a reliable 'worker' of some sort in an official capacity. 

I love that I've been able to take life really slow.  I love that I haven't had a hurried schedule.  I think it's been incredibly valuable, and I have not one regret about 'just' doing the sahm mom of school kids thing: sweat pants, surfing the web, staying up late, napping when I can -- I just wish I hadn't done just that for quite so long!  (Yes, I'm dealing with depression.)  I've had this same leisurely pace for 14 years now. Like I said, when ds was in second grade would have been a great time to start taking one class at a time and take a part-time volunteer position.  It would have still afforded me a lot of time with my kids. 

So there ya go!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#23 of 38 Old 01-26-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who replied!  Tigerlily, your post really resounded with me.  I have NO desire to return to school (I have a BA and an MA, that's enough, thanks) and NO desire to return to "cubicle life" (was a research associate for years before kids).  I have been thinking a lot more about this and the idea of volunteering regularly at school appeals to me.  And as goofy as it sounds, maybe getting my group fitness certification and teaching indoor cycling classes at the Y!  I also love gardening and sewing, but rarely have time for either pursuit so I can see both of those fitting into my schedule next fall.  Part of me wants to contribute more financially, but the idea of a "job" gives me hives!  As as for having another baby ~ NO WAY!!!  I'm almost 43 and that is not happening!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#24 of 38 Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM

I have 2 children - a 4th grader and a 6th grader.  I have always been a SAHM (since I found out I was pregnant with my oldest).  I don't remember making a decision - I was a SAHM when they were home, I'm a SAHM now (I spend the day cleaning a house they live in, washing and drying clothes they wear, shopping for their groceries, volunteering at their schools, cooking their meals, etc.).  I do not regret it for one single, solitary moment.  The time will come when my children are grown and gone.  When that time comes, I will thank God I was blessed with the oppurtunity to spend as much time as I had with them.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#25 of 38 Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 AM

I would love to continue to stay at home since it seems like SAHPs to school age children still have ALOT to do! I may find something very part time to do, but I'd love to be home for my children when they get home from school, help them with homework, etc. Especially since my husband works so much, If I got a full time job, I don't think DH and I would get to see our kids that much. Plus, there's sick days, vacations, etc that I feel like one parent should be available for. That's just me though :) We only plan on having 2 kids though..I'm not sure what I'd do if we had more.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#26 of 38 Old 01-31-2011, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Posting from waaay down the road here:  I have a high school senior and a college sophomore, have been at home since before the oldest was born, and don't have any plans yet about what I want to be when I grow up.  As other posters have said, there's a lot of driving around -- expanded here because neither of mine drive yet -- and I had the chance to be very active in both their schools.  Both boys have food allergies, and that's been very time consuming.  Just learning about them was so overwhelming; they were diagnosed before Al Gore invented the internet. :)  Being at home was also a blessing when DS1 withdrew from high school classes over the holiday break of his senior year and took a year off before starting college.  He's at a school he loves on the other side of the country now, and DS2 has top choice schools thousands of miles away, too.  So in a few short months, I will be seriously empty nesting.  DH and I are looking forward to the two of them being settled where they're happy.  I think a lot of my energy has gone to being a sounding board for my sons' frustrations with the K-12 system where we live, and the difficulty finding opportunities in fields that interested them.  Satisfied kids will give me way more headspace.  I'm looking forward to that.

Also, my 80 y.o. mother lives in town, so I'm either visiting or phoning her daily and run errands for her as well.  Not very time-consuming in and of itself, and plenty of adults with full-time WOH schedules take care of aging parents.  It's been my good luck to have more flexibility and less stress in being able to do this, and I've been able to give it more time than I'd otherwise have been able.

I do have a B.S. in MIS (COBOL, anyone?) that I never really "used" in a conventional sense, though things professors have taught me about programming help a lot when trying to analyze a situation kindly.  No desire to continue in that specific field, though.  I serve on a municipal committee now, and want to look at sustained work for a cause near and dear to me . . . raising the minimum wage, maybe, or DV center volunteering.  Have thought about going back to school, but we're paying two tuitions, so that would take a careful look.  I think, first off, I'll catch my breath, walk my dog, keep enjoying my family, and take it from there.

ChiaraRose and Katie T like this.

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#27 of 38 Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 PM

Maria, I wanna be like you when I grow up.  ;)

#28 of 38 Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 AM

I still work 2 days a month at my "old job" so I could keep my seniority. I have been there over 10 yrs and didn't want to start over if I chose to come back. But I don't think I will ever come back full time. I want to do home health care independently around my town and the surrounding areas. Patient care is a passion of mine and I miss it terribly. (I work in a hospital).

I will be able to set my own hours to a extent and will work around the children's schedule. I would also like to dabble in selling my knit and sewn goods online but don't for see a good income from this. I plan to start looking for 1 person to care for when my youngest starts school (she will go for 3 hours 4 days a week).

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#29 of 38 Old 02-27-2011, 12:44 AM

I'll probably start working out more and get a part-time job. Maybe take a yoga class or photography workshop.

#30 of 38 Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 AM

I will most likely work part time. Maybe 2-3 8 hour days per week. I won't go back to doing 12hrs. I may return to school for my MS in Nursing, but we'll have to play that by ear. Plus, I have to muster the energy to finish those last three classes of my BS :)

a PP mentioned that kids in school takes up time, and that is certainly true. Right now I have two in school FT, and one who goes to an all day preschool twice weekly. It takes up time, in addition to limiting time for other activities...ie...if a kid is in school fom 8 til 2 or 3 everyday, that means any extra stuff has to be done after three. Right now, my one DD has her swim lessons etc during the day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page