What do you look like when your DH walks in the door and how do you greet him? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 160 Old 03-13-2011, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzaviers_mama View Post

I still rock my yoga pants, tank tops and fuzzy socks every single day.  

This is EXACTLY what I wear! Comfy, easy to nurse... I would hate to spend all day in jeans or a skirt. I put them on if I'm going somewhere but as soon as I get home, I'm back in my yoga pants!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#152 of 160 Old 03-17-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Williams View Post

I once heard my DH say, "It doesn't matter how you look with clothes ON!" He was talking to his friend and was joking about how he doesn't care if I get dolled up. At all, ever.

He could care less. I wear jammies exclusively when I am at home. We have 4 kiddos, 7 and under, homeschool, and are homebodies.

I shower every other day. When I run out for errands, I do my hair and makeup and wear cute clothes. I am like two different women, LOLOL!

I am with Amanda!  Two different women most days!  My hubs doesn't care at all what I look like -- and he rarely even notices really.  I could be all glammed up or in my sweats and once I change into my pajamas if I ask him what I was wearing that day he normally can't even remember.  I do put myself together on the weekends when we're running errands, but that's about it.  (p.s... as I'm typing this, I'm in jeans, my husband's undershirt and my robe!  One step up from pajamas, but just barely! :) )

#153 of 160 Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreengirl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzaviers_mama View Post

I still rock my yoga pants, tank tops and fuzzy socks every single day.  

This is EXACTLY what I wear! Comfy, easy to nurse... I would hate to spend all day in jeans or a skirt. I put them on if I'm going somewhere but as soon as I get home, I'm back in my yoga pants!

Yep, I'm nursing my 3yo, and my 18mo.... usually in some odd position.  When I'm not doing that, I'm crawling around on the floor with them, up and down doing laundry, bent over scrubbing a bathtub, getting jelly smeared across my leg, finger painting, etc.... I might as well be comfortable.  

I do "dress up" when I go out though.  By 'dress up', I mean put on my cute jeans, boots, a decent top, and try to make sure I don't have any food or boogers stuck to me anywhere.  thumb.gif

goinggreengirl likes this.

Xzavier - 9 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif    Julien - 5  modifiedartist.gif   Jayce - 3  moon.gif    Jaxon - 18mos  jog.gif

Hoping for a babygirl.gif in November!

#154 of 160 Old 03-22-2011, 11:29 PM

My goal has been to get out of my pjs. So I try to put on jeans and a shirt or even yoga pants as long as I don't wear those to bed. I don't usually get any makeup on and my hair is always in a ponytail but I'm not wearing pajamas. I kind of live in nursing tanks (haven't worn a real bra since my second trimester). I have noticed that after dinner, I usually put my pajama pants back on winky.gif. I don't know if it really matters to my husband but it matters to me. My mood is better and I am more motivated to get things done (and I suppose that has an effect on DH more than anything).

surf.gif West Coast Momma to Seb since 10/10, venturing into SAHMing, bfinfant.gif,slingboy.gif. I make good blueberry muffins ROTFLMAO.gif
#155 of 160 Old 03-22-2011, 11:30 PM

My goal has been to get out of my pjs. So I try to put on jeans and a shirt or even yoga pants as long as I don't wear those to bed. I don't usually get any makeup on and my hair is always in a ponytail but I'm not wearing pajamas. I kind of live in nursing tanks (haven't worn a real bra since my second trimester). I have noticed that after dinner, I usually put my pajama pants back on winky.gif. I don't know if it really matters to my husband but it matters to me. My mood is better and I am more motivated to get things done (and I suppose that has an effect on DH more than anything).

surf.gif West Coast Momma to Seb since 10/10, venturing into SAHMing, bfinfant.gif,slingboy.gif. I make good blueberry muffins ROTFLMAO.gif
#156 of 160 Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 PM

I've just started the thread, so I'll answer the initial questions, before I read all the rest of it - from the few posts I've read, I think there are going to be a lot of different opinions here:

What I'm wearing:

Very occasionally, I'm still in a nightgown or PJs, but that's not very common. Most of the time, I'm in jeans or cords (occasionally sweats), and a t-shirt. It could be an Iron Maiden t-shirt, or my favourite (and beginning to fall apart *sniff*) gargoyle shirt, or it could be a slightly dressier looking one, but it's almost always a t-shirt. I haven't put on make-up more than 3-4 times in the last 5-6 years. I don't do my hair - ever. Even for more formal events, the most I'll do is shove it into some combs, but I usually just leave it down. So, I'm not usually looking really ratty (unless I've recently been puked on, or had ds2 or dd2 grab me with mucky fingers), but I'm not "done up", by any means.

The last post i read before I decided to go ahead and post said something about how someone would feel if she came home and her dh was all ratty looking. I was the WOHP for the first couple of years dh and I were together and I didn't care what he looked like when I got home. It's just not on my radar. I also don't care if he wears t-shirts with holes in them and things like that. Clothes and appearance have never been a high priority part of my life.

Greeting:

Varies wildly. If I've had one of my more insane days with ds2 and dd2, then it tends to be a simple, and probably slightly terse, "hi". On other days, it's usually a happy "hi - you're home!". If he got home unexpectedly early, then it's usually full-on delight, as it's always a wonderful surprise to have more time with him than I expected. It also depends what I'm doing. I"m usually running behind and trying to get dinner on the table (which is more important to him than to me, anyway), in which case, I don't leave what I'm doing for a hug and kiss, but try to signal that I'm more than good with it if he wants to come into the kitchen and give me one (we have a galley-style kitchen, and I can see the front door - about 12-15 feet away - when I'm at the counter.

I try to make sure he knows how happy I am to see him, but I don't always succeed.

Bottom line is that I'm homeschooling, have a toddler, and my 5 year old almost definitely has special needs (we're just starting the assessment process), which result in repeated, and frustrating, crises every day. I'm not an efficient cook or cleaner, and we have too much stuff. By the time dh gets home, I'm usually way too overloaded and stressed out to be as happy and upbeat as I'd like, and being fake about it just doesn't work for me. I won't put the effort into my appearance, because it doesn't matter to me at all, and matters to dh very little (ie. he'd be bummed if I didn't make some effort for a special date or whatever, but it's just not a big deal, in general). We have many, many things that are far higher priorities than looking good, but not so many that are higher priorities than being kind to each other.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#157 of 160 Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 PM

So, random thoughts, now that I've read the whole thread:

1) I'm surprised by how many people here equate putting on make-up with "basic self-grooming". Even in the days when I wouldn't leave the house without the stuff, I didn't think of it as a basic grooming thing - I was just a bit neurotic. (Mind you, in those days, my make-up wasn't even remotely of the "well groomed" variety, anyway.) I like the look of eye make-up on myself, but dh doesn't care much, and I don't like the way it feels, so I only subject myself to it on very rare occasions. I don't like the feel of face makeup, except a little bit of powder blush, and I don't think the blush makes much difference in my looks, in any case. Lipstick...I don't really get lipstick. It doesn't stay on for crap. It looks worse than no make-up if it gets smeared or wears partly off. I just don't like it very much.

2) Daily showers. I don't know how anybody can stand to shower in the morning (both dh and ds1 do so, though). I can't stand it. I take a bath every other night. I see no reason at all to take a daily bath, unless I've been getting super sweaty or something. My hair also takes a long time to dry (it's long and it's thick), and I hate hair dryers of all kinds, so I wash it at night, and it's dry by the next day. Bathing/showering during the day feels really weird.

3) Different strokes, of course. I WAH for years, and had to wear a basic minimum level of professional dress (simple dress pants and a blouse/sweater were acceptable). I hated it, and I soooo looked forward to not having to dress like that, anymore. Aside from the time with my kids, the lack of expecttations over my clothing is the biggest perk of being home. I have no need to feel "put together' to get things done. I need to feel comfortable. For me, that's jeans/cords/sweats and a short-sleeved shirt, and socks. I don't like being barefoot in the house (esp. with the toddler dropping Cheerios on the kitchen floor), but I also hate wearing shoes. So...socks.

4) The two day old PJs thing is a non-issue, imo. Who cares? DH wouldn't. The only reason he'd bat an eyelash if I were still in my PJs, is because he knows they're not that comfy, so if I'm still wearing them, I'm probably not having a great day. I agree with Tigerchild that far fewer men would care than most women would think. IMO, guys don't care about our clothes, make-up, etc. even a fraction as much as most women care about those things.

5) I want dh to want me, as well as love me, too. However, I'd be crushed if I thought that meant i had to wear make-up or do my hair. He does want me - just the way I am. For me, a marriage wouldn't work based on anything else. And, I want him, just the way he is. If he stayed in his boxers all day and never brushed his hair, it wouldn't matter to me at all. He can't do that, because he's at work five days a week, and always wants to out, out, out on the other two, but it wouldn't matter to me in the slightest. He's a hottie, but it's not because he tries to be.

6) I honestly can't even imagine changing into a different shirt, just because dh was about to get home. I very, very rarely change my clothes during the day, and it takes something pretty extreme. If I got poop on my shirt, I'd change it. If I sloshed dish water all over myself, and then had to go out and the weather was cold, I'd change into a dry shirt (but I might take it out of the hamper, instead of out of my drawer). Other than that? Nope - just not my style...not dh's, either.

This has been an interesting read, I must say. I honestly had no idea there were so many people who wore make-up at home, for one thing!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#158 of 160 Old 03-28-2011, 04:11 PM

I've only read about 1/2 the thread, but it's really interesting! 

My hubby SAH with our son. He usually showers when I'm here when the boy goes to bed for the night. He does tend to wear the same outfit for several days at a time. Actually, I'm the one who usually pulls out a new one for him every few days. He tends to see it in a utilitarian sense. Like "ok, this doesn't smell bad and only has a few baby stains, so it's good." I'm not complaining. There's enough laundry as is. 

When I get home from work, he gets the baby and holds him up to the window, or brings him outside if it's warmer out. The baby is always jazzed to see me and I'm always jazzed to see both of them. I think hubby is jazzed to see me too. Then, he carries the baby around to watch me while I put my stuff away. Then, we nurse. 

#159 of 160 Old 03-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah32 View Post

When I get home from work, he gets the baby and holds him up to the window, or brings him outside if it's warmer out. The baby is always jazzed to see me and I'm always jazzed to see both of them. I think hubby is jazzed to see me too. Then, he carries the baby around to watch me while I put my stuff away. Then, we nurse. 

That is so cute.

"When the external begins to define the internal, instead of the internal defining the external, one begins living as a mortal rather than as a universal being." ~ unknown
#160 of 160 Old 03-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Most of the time I am wearing somehting comfortable and not looking great. Every once in a while though I will make some effort to look nice for my dh. I def don't put any pressure on it though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page