Are you ever just bored? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Like really really bored

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#2 of 57 Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Probably, if I had time to be... lol.  I'm too much of a spaz for my own good, though.

Are you bored?

Edit: nvr mind I read some of your PPs.  you don't sound bored, you sound overworked.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#3 of 57 Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Pff.. I'm just confused. See, spazzy.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#4 of 57 Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM

Yes.  Hence why I spend so much time on the internet.  (not sure if that's the proper use of hence or not. :) )

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#5 of 57 Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 PM

Never

#6 of 57 Old 01-18-2011, 04:49 PM

Honestly? No, I don't really get bored. There's always something to read, or think about, or whatever. 

Overwhelmed? Yes..but not bored 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#7 of 57 Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM

I get bored. It is generally related to not being able to do what I want and having to do other things. Sometimes it is the monotony and routine of my life that gets boring. Overall I enjoy my days and I find ways to entertain myself but not every day is bliss.

#8 of 57 Old 01-18-2011, 07:32 PM

I'm bored...  And lonely and depressed (single mom).  In many ways I think I would rather be working (if I could get a good job that was rewarding).  BUT, I'm not ready to send my ds to daycare.  I am going back to school in September and I'm really looking forward to that.  I'm trying to enjoy this time because I know it will be over before I know it and then I will miss it.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#9 of 57 Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

Honestly? No, I don't really get bored. There's always something to read, or think about, or whatever. 

Overwhelmed? Yes..but not bored 

This is me.  I'm never unoccupied enough to get bored.  

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#10 of 57 Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukey25 View Post

I get bored. It is generally related to not being able to do what I want and having to do other things. Sometimes it is the monotony and routine of my life that gets boring. Overall I enjoy my days and I find ways to entertain myself but not every day is bliss.

yeahthat.gif There is also the rare day where DD is at preschool, DS is sleeping and all the cleaning etc is done. Then I tend to find myself a little bored but I try to immerse myself in something fun then. I think a good part of my boredom also comes from being sooo tired (I'm 37+6wk preg) that I don't have the energy to do anything but the basics, but I want to do something, if that makes sense.

read.gif Rachael~~SAHM to fairy.gif (4/27/06), diaper.gif (11/18/09) and babyf.gif (1/29/11); married to a fabulous man! flowersforyou.gif  intactlact.gif cd.gif    caffix.gif )O(

#11 of 57 Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM

I haven't been bored since the internet was invented (I'm old, I used to get really bored before that!)  Nowadays I have to limit my computer time so I don't neglect the laundry, dishes, bills, etc.

#12 of 57 Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM

I was starting to get bored. I have one daughter, who is mellow and easy going and happy, and our life had gotten pretty routine.  So I decided I would go back to school (online) for my Master's, and right after I was accepted to the program I found out I was pregnant! So I don't think I will be bored for quite a while.....

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#13 of 57 Old 01-19-2011, 07:28 PM

Yes. I get really really bored. A lot lately. It's not that I don't have stuff to do- I have tons of housework and childcare to do but I still feel just bored. I think for me it is mostly being lonely and in need of adult interaction and also I just need to do something fun. But I can't really even figure out what would be fun at this point.

#14 of 57 Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamom View Post

Yes. I get really really bored. A lot lately. It's not that I don't have stuff to do- I have tons of housework and childcare to do but I still feel just bored. I think for me it is mostly being lonely and in need of adult interaction and also I just need to do something fun. But I can't really even figure out what would be fun at this point.

This is EXACTLY how I feel!! There is loads that needs to be done, but I'm just not motivated to do the housework and I'm tired of playing pretend, peek-a-boo, hide & seek, etc. It's better when we can get out of the house more, but with all of the snow we've been getting, we've been in a lot.

#15 of 57 Old 01-20-2011, 12:12 PM

Yes, I find myself getting bored especially when I only have one little one at home. I wasn't so bored last year before ds 5yrs started kindy. I also had a couple of babies I was keeping part time and I certainly wasn't bored....too busy. Now I am down to one baby part time along with my own little guy and although I appreciate the extra free time....yes I'm finding myself bored again. But I'm baking bread today (haven't done that in years). So I think I just need a new routine of some days at home, some days out, cleaning days, baking days.......Otherwise I find myself on MDC too much and that is a clear sign that I am bored.

#16 of 57 Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

I'm bored right now!

So bored.

Trying to figure out how to make some money and still be a SAHM. It's not going well.

I know there are things I could be doing (laundry I guess) but ever since winter started and we've been stuck inside a lot with no vehicle to go anywhere I feel totally bored and trapped half the time.

I am hopeful that once it warms up and we can play outside all day like we did last year my boredom will disappear.

#17 of 57 Old 01-21-2011, 12:23 PM

Yeah, I could do all the housework in the world and still be bored.  Housework is boring.  Wish I could get all zen-like about it though!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#18 of 57 Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:

This is me exactly.  I know there are things I could do.  I could clean.  I could cook.  I could surf the internet.  But those things are not satisfying to me.  I want to talk about politics or gender roles or something that makes me *think*.  Or play music.  Or write.  not really things that I can do with a toddler in tow.

I also don't have many friends who are home during the day, so I can't just call someone up and hang out. 

I am amazed at how bored I get now.  I need a hobby...or six.

#19 of 57 Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM

I don't get bored when DS is in bed. I have lots of hobbies the internet is endlessly entertaining. Trying to sit down and play a game geared for 2 year olds, or watching dora the explorer bores the crap out of me.

tjjazzy likes this.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#20 of 57 Old 01-21-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Yes. This is me too. Add a uber dose of restlessness in there too, though.

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#21 of 57 Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 PM

I get bored all the time, hence the reason why I spend so much time on the internet.  Sure there are things that need doing (cleaning the kitchen, laundry) but DD is such a light sleeper that when I get her down for naps I'm so scared of making any noise and waking her up.  Fortunately, I know that DH will help me with that stuff later tonight.

familybed1.giffemalesling.GIFfly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gifknit.gif

#22 of 57 Old 01-21-2011, 06:14 PM

I don't know if 'bored' is the right word for me... it's more... 'unfulfilled' -- I'm not exactly bored playing with my 2yo all day but I do feel kind of unproductive/restless/lonely/etc. quite often.

And also what a pp said, that often I have things I want or need to do but just don't have the energy to do them (only I don't have the 'pregnant' excuse shy.gif) or am too stressed out to enjoy anything.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#23 of 57 Old 01-28-2011, 05:27 AM

SOOO Bored! I wish I was not. I can think of a hundred things I would love to be doing, but I never feel like I have enough time to get them going. I also am "shut in" with no money, and we live out in the middle of no where. It is snowing and looks beautiful, but not much time can be spent out in freezing temps. I have no friends out here and have not been able to find any other moms that homeschool.

I am trying to change my routine a little. I started doing Yoga with my kids and that has been fun. Last night when dh came home I left and went to the library for an hr. all by myself. I read magazines that I never knew existed.

I used to watch kids, but even then I was bored. It has taken many years to figure this out, but I really think I need more interaction with adults. I also need to do more for just me. I need someone to tell me I am doing a good job and my work is appreciated. When I did daycare people said how wonderful I was, but it was never reflected in my pay. It is hard to take people serious when they are only paying you $3.50 an hr.

I am trying to work towards being happier.

#24 of 57 Old 01-28-2011, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

yeahthat.gif We live in the boonies and there is nothing to do. At all. Unless you count Walmart, which nobody sane would. I think my boredom is just me being very lonely and somewhat depressed. Since dh started in his band, he doesn't really talk to me anymore. He has all these friends outside the home and kind of ignores me. I talk to a local friend on the phone sometimes and we see each other rarely as we both have a bunch of kids and homeschool. The lonelier I get, the more time I spend on here, honestly.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#25 of 57 Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Bored. Yes. I've been a sahm for 15 years. There's always plenty to do but rarely something I want to do.
I get really really bored.  I try to keep myself intellectually stimulated but I find sahm very very boring for the most part.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#26 of 57 Old 01-28-2011, 12:32 PM

bored bored bored right now. Yes, there's plenty to do, but it's all house chores which are pretty under-whelming. So, yes, I get bored.

#27 of 57 Old 01-28-2011, 03:50 PM

omg yes. Some days are so boring, it seems to be worse during the winter, when it's cold out. 

#28 of 57 Old 01-30-2011, 03:20 PM

I've BTDT! I went from law school/interning (busy busy all the time within a very structured environment) to two school age step children and soon enough I had a sweet baby! I had my time of feeling bored and unfulfilled and it was frustrating because I had this amazing vision of what being a SAHM would be. When I talked to my DH about it he gave me some advice and it really helped! Might not work for everyone or perhaps this is already what you do - but feel free to give it a whirl!

He suggested that I treat being a SAHM/homekeeper as a career/business because that is exactly what it is. Wha? A career? Yep MY career. I had to change my mindset. This wasn't just a role or a necessary life task. This was my career and my family/household was a business and it was up to me to be chief executive officer.

At first that made me feel overwhelmed and yea I fretted over that for a while before I gave it a try. When I was in school/working I was always super organized and lived by a to do list. I thought I could throw all that out the window when I started staying at home. I thought my days would just ebb and flow in a very organic way. Nope - at least it was not working for me. So I started there. Everything that had to be done in a day, week, month, season and year. Then I worked up my schedules. Seeing the HUGE to do list was overwhelming, but putting it into a schedule, soothed that fear and showed me I could accomplish it all. 

Then I really got into it. Mission statement, policies, budgets, 1/5/10 year business plans and benefits. (ie., I get a vacation - no matter HOW we work it out, I get one.) Sounds silly I know, it feels silly typing it, but having a hard copy of expectations (for everyone in the family) and a statement of who we were as a family and where we wanted to go really did help!

Funny thing, when I started working within an organized schedule, I found I DID have time for me time. I did have time for my hobbies and passions. I also found I saved tons of time and money. The benefits really became tangible. Even personalities who take to organizing like oil to water winky.gifcan find a routine and rhythm that works for them. Careful though I have found that it can become addictive/essential to even those who have balked the hardest at it. orngbiggrin.gif

I also have a list just for downtime or lets call it boredom. I always update it whenever an idea strikes me. Something I'd like to do or a small unessential job I'd like to tackle around the house or in my community. When I find myself with extra time all I have to do is consult the list and voila(!) my time is filled. 

Get your partner on board and up to speed too. Make him/her a part of it. Make sure s/he understands that their support in this endeavor is essential. They are an integral part of this too. Involve the children - I've always found life so much easier when they are clear on what it takes to run a home and family expectations.

Finally, this is important! Far too often I see SAHMs forget that doing special things just for you is essential. So don't forget to pencil in time just for you. Your whole family will thank you for the calm cool collected CEO you'll become. 

Again, this won't work for everyone. Maybe you can just pull some ideas from here that fit into your family. It really has served this momma and her family very well for about 13 years now. 
JayGee likes this.
#29 of 57 Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecider View Post

Yeah, I could do all the housework in the world and still be bored.  Housework is boring.  Wish I could get all zen-like about it though!

yeahthat.gif

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

#30 of 57 Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjeelingmomma View Postme I could accomplish it all. 

Then I really got into it. Mission statement, policies, budgets, 1/5/10 year business plans and benefits. (ie., I get a vacation - no matter HOW we work it out, I get one.) Sounds silly I know, it feels silly typing it, but having a hard copy of expectations (for everyone in the family) and a statement of who we were as a family and where we wanted to go really did help!
family expectations.

Hm, very interesting idea ... heard about the argument of SAHM as a career before but not quite like this.

Thanks for sharing - will try this.

The list of less-essential tasks - yup, I find it extremely useful whenever I feel tired or don't really feel like doing anything ... or feel like procrastinating on 

something else ... orngbiggrin.gif

Pro rights (vaxes).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page