Birthday for DH? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ya'll. 

I need some suggestions. My DH's birthday is in 2 days. I just realized it this morning. I have been such a frumpy mess since our 7 mth old was born. I would like to do something fun and treat him really special since he has supported me so much, even while I was a frumpy mess thumbsup.gif

I am planning on making him a special dinner, but that isn't much different from normal. 

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#2 of 5 Old 03-07-2011, 01:54 PM

What are his favorite things to do when he has free time?

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#3 of 5 Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

ha, hang out with us! He is really into coffee, music, relaxing. I don't know. He is young too (27)

I feel like we don't even have hobbies anymore since our life has been revolved around getting pregnant, staying pregnant, having a baby, etc.

We are limited financially and probably won't be going anywhere. 

"Just like moons and like suns, With the certainty of tides, Just like hopes springing high,  Still I'll rise." ~ Maya Angelou
#4 of 5 Old 03-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I'm forum crashing here, but I saw the title in new posts and since I love birthdays, here are a few ideas:

--First, I think the special dinner idea is great. I love having my favorite homemade foods on my birthday, even if it's a meal we had last week.

--I find that even the act of simple decorations (e.g. paper streamers, paper stars, balloons, a homemade happy birthday sign on the door, etc.) can make a day festive. If you can get to a dollar store or pharmacy, you can usually find this inexpensively. Or use scrap paper to make your own. If you don't like your handwriting (I don't sometimes!) you can cut letters out of magazines, catalog, or junk mail to make signs.

--Can you get or make some yummy coffee and have it for breakfast on his birthday?

--If he likes trivia, look up coffee facts and trivia on the internet and decorate your home with them (or hide them in fun places for him to find, like under his toothbrush). Or if has favorite bands or genres of music, include fun facts about those too.

--If your computer has a CD burner, burn a CD of songs that he introduced you to (through his love of music) that you love now.

--A photo collage of the 3 of you sounds like something he would really like. This could be a wall thing or you could get a coffee cup that you can put pictures into. Starbucks has one (http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=271241) and other places probably carry it as well. Alternatively, you could order a coffee mug from walgreens, snapfish, or a similar company etc. with a picture on it. It might not come in time for his birthday, but could be a fun belated birthday present.

--My DP always enjoys getting a "top 10" list...like 10 things that make you a great partner or 10 wishes for you for the coming year (which could include big things like "I hope your dream of XXX comes true" or little things like "I hope your favorite band releases a new album...")

--A coupon book to make the birthday last longer with fun coupons like "good for the cake of your choice made by me" or "trading chores day" or "pick a book that you'd like to discuss and I'll read the whole thing even if it's not my type of book so we can discuss"

I hope your DH has a great birthday and that you all enjoy the day. My favorite part of any birthday is spending time with my smiling partner and adorable DD. Your DH sounds the same so I'm sure whatever you do or don't do, he'll be glad to have time with you and your DD that day. :-)

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#5 of 5 Old 03-08-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Happyhappymommy, you must be a joy to live with! What wonderful suggestions. I especially like the coupon book with "book you have been wanting to read" ha. That is genius and my DH will get a kick out of that!

Thank you for all the great ideas!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page