What do you do on days you just aren't 'on'? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love being a mom, but every once in a while I have a day when I am just not as present as I usually am.  This afternoon it was naptime but my almost 3 yo was resisting a rest.  Since he is old enough to understand, I had relegated him to his bed until quiet time was over.  He was peering under the door calling, "Mooooooom,  Mooooooooooooooooooooooom."  When I wandered in to remind him it was quiet time, he grinned at me and giggled.  I reminded him again to have some quiet time, but it was not working.  His brother is sleeping, and while most days I would let him up to have some quiet Mommy time with me, I don't have it in me today.  I've been rescued by my oldest who knows I am having a hard day.  She took the portable dvd player into my bedroom and she and her brother are stretched out on my bed enjoying a movie.  I feel guilty about the fact that she saw I was frazzled- like somehow I need to be stronger for her- but she's also  a preteen, and is old enough to know when someone is tired or overwhelmed.  We make a point of trying to do small acts of service to friends and family who are having a hard day or week- she carries that over with us.  I'm emotionally somewhere between feeling guilty, and feeling proud that she's developed such great empathy and wants to do something to help within the family. 

(Hm, more came out there than it should have- brain not thoroughly working today!)

So, on days you are not at your best, what do you do to guard your sanity while keeping your children happy? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 03:06 PM

I tell my 4 yr old that mommy is grumpy today. I have to hold it together for my 1 yr old...so my older son gets the short end of the stick because he can understand.

I think it's good for kids to see their parents as people and understand that sometimes people need a break.

Never doubt that a small group of committed, thoughtful people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
Old 04-10-2011, 11:06 AM

When I'm having an off day, I try to be out of the house as much as possible, usually at the playground or the beach. That way the kids can run free and I don't have to be quite as present, plus I'm not trying to get something done at home and getting frustrated with the constant interruptions.

And congrats on raising such an intuitive, thoughtful daughter! I would definitely thank her for helping you out when you were having a rough time. smile.gif
Old 04-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Wow, your daughter sounds just lovely! My son is almost 3 and he's sort of in-between understanding when i'm tired/cranky and not. It's hard b/c the way I like to recharge and get myself together is to be alone - which I never really get to do as a SAHM (i can't even pee alone!). And he sometimes is drawn to me and gets clingy even more when i'm a bit "not present" - which can make me feel crowded and overwhelmed. It's hard. I agree with Wandering's post above - if we can get out and get him distracted, it helps me have some faux alone time ;-)

User Tag List