Any SAHM out there that are also RNs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-15-2011, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since DD's birth 3.5 yrs ago, I have been primarliy a SAHM, only working per diem as an RN in an ED.   I am thinking about stopping work altogether.  I find going to work one or twice a week to be very stressful, as I still need to make sure everything else for the family is done.and I also must arrange all the childcare.  DH works long hours and travels a lot, which adds to the stress and me working more doesn't mean he gets to work less.  I am also not totally in love with my job but yet, I can't quite figure out what other RN position would make me happy.  Working in the ED kind of gets into your blood, KWIM?

My biggest concern with leaving my job is that I will face many difficulties finding a new position due to loss of skills when I am ready to return to work.  Everyone I tlak to We are still paying back my student loans, which adds to my guilt about quitting.  Financially, we could make do without the money.  Part of me also feels guilty about not working when I can work.  I know many people think I'm lucky that I have a job where I can pick and choose my hours and would kill for an opportunity to have a job that allows for that.

Just wondering what other RNs thoughts are about this.  Or anyone's elses thoughts.

Thanks!

Mama to DD1 2007, DS 2009, DD2 2012, What a Journey this parenting thing is...

#2 of 4 Old 04-15-2011, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am an RN, now I am working part time again but for almost 7 years I didn't have a "paid" job as a nurse. I volunteered some. I went back to work early last year, I didn't have an issue at all after being a SAHM. I actually wasn't looking for a job, this one literally fell into my job through my volunteer job. I'm an IBCLC and didn't want to go back to hospital work with my kids still being so little so I work in a health dept. My Dh works long hours and travels quite a bit as well which also means everything is on me. I needed a flexible job with minimal hours, I am the supervisor so I set my own hours. I never work more then half a day which is because that is what I decided would make things tolerable, and it really has been doable. 

It is different then being an ED nurse though. A fellow mom at DD2's school is in the same boat you are. She works per diem 2 nights a week as a ED nurse, is exhausted of all the juggling, and really considering quitting for a couple years. It is an option to stay per diem and do less shifts? I know numerous moms that do that at my local hospital but there per diem means a minimal of 2 shifts a month so most of those moms just do one weekend a month. Some have done that for almost 10 years now. 

I don't see anything wrong with stepping away for a while. It may be harder to return, how the job market is in your local area might be worthwhile to consider, or it might not.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 4 Old 05-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am an RN, pregnant with my first, and am planning to be a SAHM.  I work in an ICU, and am not thrilled with the idea of being away from my little one in a stressful environment for long days and nights.  I have thought about becoming an IBCLC.  Do I need to work on a post-partum unit in order to get the necessary hours to become a IBCLC?  When I do go back, I am especially not interested in doing nights.  I am also interested in community and public health nursing.  It's funny, one of many reasons I decided to become an RN was so I could easily work part-time when I decided to have a child.  I am still glad I chose nursing for this reason, but it's ironic that now that I don't want to work at all!  

#4 of 4 Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileithyia View Post

I am an RN, pregnant with my first, and am planning to be a SAHM.  I work in an ICU, and am not thrilled with the idea of being away from my little one in a stressful environment for long days and nights.  I have thought about becoming an IBCLC.  Do I need to work on a post-partum unit in order to get the necessary hours to become a IBCLC?  When I do go back, I am especially not interested in doing nights.  I am also interested in community and public health nursing.  It's funny, one of many reasons I decided to become an RN was so I could easily work part-time when I decided to have a child.  I am still glad I chose nursing for this reason, but it's ironic that now that I don't want to work at all!  

You need 1000 hours within the last 5 years of working with breastfeeding moms. So usually RNs who do sit for the exam often work in pp or some type of mom and baby job. Community/public health is soo different from what I did in the hospital but I have to say I enjoy it more. My health dept is full of working mom RNs because they often have a lot of flexibility in their hours. Working 8:30-2:30 or something similar to school hours is what many do. That is too much for me, I will soon have 4 children 8 and under, but when this last one is in school, I can see myself happily working those hours.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page