Jury Duty and how much I do around here - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had jury duty for three days this week. It was my first time ever. Arranging to have my two kids taken care of was a pain in the butt to coordinate. My parents and in-laws are all retired and local but keep themselves very busy. DH ended up with an important deadline this week so he couldn't help as much as needed. 

All of this added up to show me that I do a lot around here. At least, it appears complicated to try and replace me with anything less that three people.

Additionally, I got to eat Thai food for lunch and read a good chunk of a book without pictures so that was nice too. 

#2 of 4 Old 05-12-2011, 09:01 PM

i've read similar testimony from SAHMs who wound up sick and hospitalized.

at least you didn't have to suffer.

one question: at the end of three days away, did you come home to a big mess in the house that will require three days to clean?

#3 of 4 Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM

There wasn't an exemption for primary caregivers?  In California, as long as you are a stay-at-home parent where jury duty would create a hardship, or as long as you are breastfeeding, you can be exempt from serving jury duty.  I haven't had to serve in over 6 years, and get a summons every year.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 4 Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I was summoned last year and got an exemption since DD2 was a baby and we were exclusively breastfeeding. I probably could have pushed the primary childcare thing but it was good for her to spend time with the g-parents. She was scared of DH's father a few weeks ago. (When we visit she tends to play with the cousins and not him so much.) DD1 got to go to after school care which she has been begging for for months. At least, now she knows. 

Sadly, the mess was exactly the same as on Monday before I ever left for court. 

This experience has many important reminders

Arrange to eat the food I like on occasion even if no one else in my family will eat it

Be a responsible patient when seeing a doctor (takes notes, do research, do the follow ups, do the PT, tell the doctor if something isn't working)

Do core muscle exercises

Read books without pictures

cyclamen likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page