How do I keep my 4 year old busy all day long at home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I am SAHM for 4 and 2 year old. My biggest challange has been to keep the days running lately with both of my kids at home.  My daughter, 4 yr old, doesn't nap anymore and wants to watch TV most of the time since I don't have all the energy to keep her busy. I feel guilty keeping her home all the time since my husband and I decided to raise the kids till they go to kindergarten. She is so social and wants to play with kids. Does anyone know good quality Pre-K in northern area of Colorado with affordable tuition? I heard that Colorado preschool program is tuition free but they only accept kids in speech delays etc. My daughter's English very well, as a matter of fact, she talks so much and tires me out. How can I keep my days running without going crazy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 04:40 AM

It sounds like your daughter needs more social interaction. Here are a few ideas:

1. Try some summer camps, if you can afford them. There's lots of places that have them for that age. YMCA, preschools, etc.

2. If you can't afford some camps, try creating your own playgroup. I think there's a Find Your Tribe thing on MDC, or you can try placing some flyers at your local library.

3. The library usually has free summer programs for kids. That might be a great place for her to make friends.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for great ideas! Those sound fun to try.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:45 PM

Public parks with lots of kids.  Kids in your neighborhood?  Play dates.  Summer sports like t ball or soccer can create relationships. 

Just some ideas.  Hope you are doing well and enjoying the summer.

Mother to Obadiah, Ira, fencing.gifEva, dust.gifand Ailsa babyf.gif, wife of wonderful state trooper in Alaskacold.gifhomeschool.gifwinner.jpgteapot2.GIFdog2.gifdog2.gifcat.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgpraying.gif
Old 06-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Some good ideas here.  Not to repeat too many of them but -

If you find similar-age kid/s in your neighborhood, you could suggest they (with parent) come over to play sometime, outside if the weather is nice. 

You could try going to the same neighborhood park a few times a week.  You might see the same people pop up and she might make a friend, who eventually you can start letting each other know that you'll be at the park...

Is there a children's museum near you?  Ours has free (well, with admission price or a membership) craft & learning activities in their daily schedule, usually a small group of kids gather for it. 

Library story time

And, you may not be doing preschool out of the house, but it can help to have some preschool-y projects to do - crafts, different puzzles, put on music and dance around time, playdough with lots of cookie cutters, etc.!  Even at a set time of day (maybe after an outing in the morning, some lunch and rest, then a project of some kind).

Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the suggestions everyone has. Also, do you have any friends with kids around that age? Trade off having both kids at your house with you one day of the week, and both kids with the friend at his/her house one day of the week. That would give two days a week of play. I tried to get my dd out of the house one time a day someplace fun, whether a park, or the museum, or whatever, then. I found if she got her wiggles out at some point during the day, she was happier at home if she had to be later.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:01 PM

parks.  my very social 4 year old dd has no problem making friends when we go and there are always lots of kids there especially now that school is out.  she also loves museums and the library.

our city's parks and recreation dept offers classes that are very reasonable.  it's usually only once a week, but it's something that's just for her and something to look forward to every week.  it's also a good way to make friends since she sees the same kids every week.

have you tried www.meetup.com for local play groups?  or create your own.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

User Tag List