Me Time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello to all my fellow SAHMs! I'm just curious how you all have found creative ways to have some "me" time?

joy.gifhappily married and a mama to DD blahblah.gif & DS babyboy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 PM

Going to the bathroom alone feels like me time some days LOL.  My dh is deployed and we have a very laid back household, so sleep happens when individuals are tired.  So I don't get alone time unless I wake up before kids do and sometimes I'd rather sleep in LOL. 

My youngest is 7 though and I've found it is possible to have some small snippets of me time, even when we are all together.  For instance, we went to the pool today and while I spent a large portion of time playing in the water with them, I did bring a book and relaxed on a chair for a little bit and read.  That felt like me time to me LOL

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:08 AM

I just discovered that I could open two windows on the computer simultaneously and make them smaller, one for my daughter's favorite YouTube videos and one for whatever I want to work on or read about on-line. Since she insists on sitting on my lap whenever I'm on the computer and will bang on the keyboard if she's not being entertained, this way I at least get to do something I want to do while she's there. It's not total "me" time, but it's something.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:27 PM

Me time? What's that? My husband is deployed and we have three kids 4, 2 and 4 months) so my days are full of one child or another on top of me. My me time is when Dh calls and I get to talk to him. As long as I get that once in a while I'm set.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 AM

I usually use nap time as "me time". Even if it only lasts 30 mins, it really changes my day when I take that time to read, knit or watch a lame tv show. If I am stressing during the day with no nap time in sight I will bring out a special toy that the kids (my own and the one I babysit for) only get to play with occasionally. 

Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I live in the mountains, so I go for a hike in the woods with my dog and/or firend. Its perfect me time. We bought bikes recently, and sometimes I go for a bike ride.

My DH is always asking me to take the LO, but I just give him the look and he backs down.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 PM

My 'me time' exists during nap time. As weird as it sounds I LOVE to clean, so I just pop in my headphones, turn on my favorite book, attack whatever room is dirtiest. It gives me a chance to zone out and accomplish something at the same time, kwim?

Heather treehugger.gif wife to Nate partners.gif and Mommy of Ella (08/05/08) dust.gif and Anya (02/28/10) fairy.gif. Might be pregnant with #3! We homeschool.gifselectivevax.gif,  bftoddler.gif, and familybed2.gif. Trying for uc.jpg

Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We got a Y membership and they have a wonderful set of ladies that run the "childcare" room. So for an hour a day I get to sweat any stress away running or whatever with a friend and the kids play. It's a nice open area so we can walk by and check on them whenever we want without them seeing us usually. 

I also take advantage of nap time and get in some reading, knitting, baking, yard work, whatever feels like "me" time that day. Some days I need to clean other days I need to sit and enjoy the quiet and stillness of the house. 

Other times I have a group of ladies over or we go to someone else's and the kids run around and we snack, have some tea and talk. Yes, the kiddos are still all over, but having conversation and adult companionship throughout the day helps tremendously. I always feel like I can conquer the world the next day :) 

Old 06-25-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_LuBelle View Post

Other times I have a group of ladies over or we go to someone else's and the kids run around and we snack, have some tea and talk. Yes, the kiddos are still all over, but having conversation and adult companionship throughout the day helps tremendously. I always feel like I can conquer the world the next day :) 

4 friends and I do this every Friday morning!  Friday is my most favourite day of the week.  We drink loads of coffee and kick the kiddies outside to play:)

Tandem nursing, Baby-wearing, Co-sleeping, Car seat-checkin' (CRST) Mama to my sweet boys, Peter (4.20.08) and Jasper (4.25.11).
Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

"I need some me time to do the laundry" King of the Hill

when I had one, nap time was my me time. Now I can't seem to get both of them to sleep at the same time. So my husband takes the kids for evenings after dinner. I use the first half hour to unwind and do all the chores I couldn't get to (like folding the laundry that got taken out of the basket three or four times) the following half hour to hour (until someone starts crying uncontrollably) to do something that makes me happy. Right now I'm working on a weather chart! haha

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 PM

When DD was a baby, I convinced myself very effectively that nursing time was "me" time by allowing myself to totally veg while I did it. I would watch a movie or surf the internet while I nursed her on the Boppy. She would nurse for hours, so it was pretty nice. I didn't have to clean or cook or do anything else during those times.

Now that she is older, "me" time is nap time. I also consider the time putting her down for her nap as "me" time. I pull out a book and lay in bed with her and read to myself until she passes out. I love to read so even though I am technically actively parenting, I'm really doing something for myself.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

User Tag List