Falling apart - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-14-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a SAHM to our almost-4-month-old. He won't sleep and when he's awake he's always cranky. He screams non-stop, so hard that he turns purple and loses his voice. We've tried everything - baby-wearing, co-sleeping (didn't work, so he's back in his crib),I changed my diet (am still bf'ing), bouncing, swaddling, playing, feeding, etc etc. Took him to the pediatrician to rule out anything physically wrong (he's fine, thank God) and the pediatrician told us we just have a pissed off baby and he'll grow out of it. That was 2 months ago and it's getting worse every day. I'm with him 24/7 and totally burnt out. He wants to nurse every 1.5-2 hours at night, so I'm not getting any sleep at all. I firmly believe in attachment parenting but fear ive lost my bond with him because he just won't stop screaming. I don't get to eat, sleep, shower, etc - I'm comforting him all the time. It's getting to the point where I'm tempted to let him CIO even though it goes against every instinct I have. I'm becoming totally numb and don't even get any joy out of his few smiles. DH travels a lot for work and I have no family or close friends nearby to help. I joined a moms group but haven't been able to attend any meetups because of DS's meltdowns. I hate how I'm starting to feel about DS but don't know what to do. I've been letting him eat/sleep on demand but am thinking of trying a schedule because we're falling apart. I need someone to tell me what we're doing wrong! I feel so guilty for being upset with him because I know it's not his fault. I feel like the most miserable failure of a mother!
#2 of 27 Old 07-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Hugs, mama.  I've been there, complete with no family nearby and a traveling hubby.  It is really hard. 

One thing is I would explore diet more.  In the end, this is what fixed things for my son, though it was a months long road with lots of trial and error and patience.  I think it took us about 5 months to figure it out completely.  What dietary changes have you tried already?

Has your ped ruled out reflux?  My son also had reflux and the reflux meds did help somewhat.

It sounds like you need some support... real support, like someone to come over and take him off your hands here and there so you can get a break.  Can you afford to hire a sitter?  Or join a gym and let him stay in the daycare for a little bit?  I found that going and working out was just enough "me" time to let me recharge a little without feeling too guilty.  Do you have mama friends?  That was also really important to me, though I understand how it is hard when you feel like you're barely keeping your head above water as it is without getting dressed and getting yourself and cranky baby out the door.  It made a huge difference for me to be able to go and talk to other moms.  Maybe the change of scenery will calm him down a bit and if not, other moms are used to babies crying.  You will meet others with high needs kids. 

As far as night time...The No Cry Sleep Solution majorly cut down on my son's night time wakings.  Do you use a paci?  I know many are opposed, but this is what allowed me to cut night time feedings down majorly which was important in my own mental health and sanity.  I was not up for nursing all night long.  At 4 months old, your son should be able to go longer than 1.5 hours without nursing.  I know it is the easiest way to comfort, but working on other measures to comfort him will pay off in terms of sleep and sanity. 

I don't believe doctors who say people have pissed off kids.  I really believe something is going on with every child who is that crabby.  It took a long time to figure out everything with my son, but once we did, he was a different child.  I feel bad that he suffered as long as he did, but like you, I was trying everything.  Good luck, mama.  This too shall pass.  I wish you the best in finding the reason for his discomfort.  Take care of yourself and be gentle with yourself.  It is an incredibly stressful and draining situation to be in. 

#3 of 27 Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! As for diet-I basically cut everything out and ate nothing but plain chicken with non-gassy veggies and plain potato or quinoa, no seasonings, no dairy, etc. Any other suggestions? I'm open to anything! He does get a paci but we try to limit it to sleep-time. I'll have to try the No Cry Sleep Solution. I really appreciate the feedback and support. I wasn't expecting motherhood to be easy, but I didn't think it would be like this!!
#4 of 27 Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 PM

Oh mama this was totally me! My DD was exactly like this except she also had intestinal issues and was in pain. She would scream ALL-DAY-AND-NIGHT she nursed every 45mins around the clock until she was 9 m/o!

1.5-2hrs at night seems pretty normal for a 4 m/o btw.

Some babies just cry and cry and cry. I used to just wear DD and nurse her on demand and she would still cry but at least I knew she was

A) close to me, skin to skin, and certainly not alone

B) not hungry b/c she had all the nursing she could handle and

C) able to regulate based on my heart rate and breathing

Sometimes there is nothing else you can do...DD is 21 m/o now and absolutely wonderful BTW. She was extremely high needs and I met her needs without neglect or CIO and even if she was still crying all day and night she was safe and with me always. So I met her needs and she is secure and independent!

I know that doesn't really help but I do know what you are going through and I do know how hard it is. The STRESS was horrendous. It really will pass and all you can do in the meantime is try your nest and if he is screaming crying in your arms, well so be it, at least he's with you.

grouphug.gif TRY TRY TRY to just get out of the house as much as possible (even with a screaming baby) it is so good for YOU.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#5 of 27 Old 07-14-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and we did rule out reflux. I'm off to sleep for a bit before he gets up again. :-)
#6 of 27 Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Also my DD did horrible on a schedule but some babies do OK maybe just try set nap and waking times but do not schedule feeds.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#7 of 27 Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks sosurreal! It just breaks my heart to see him so upset. :-(
#8 of 27 Old 07-15-2011, 06:07 AM

Trust me I know! At least you can put him down to sleep my DD would only sleep on me or in the wrap/sling AND I couldn't have the TV on AND if I sneezed or coughed she would wake up screaming,...I am seriously still trying to recover from it all...

DD is very spirited I wonder if you DS is too. Like his temperment. She is still very sensitive of her environment...

#9 of 27 Old 07-15-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybob View Post

Thank you! As for diet-I basically cut everything out and ate nothing but plain chicken with non-gassy veggies and plain potato or quinoa, no seasonings, no dairy, etc. Any other suggestions? I'm open to anything! He does get a paci but we try to limit it to sleep-time. I'll have to try the No Cry Sleep Solution. I really appreciate the feedback and support. I wasn't expecting motherhood to be easy, but I didn't think it would be like this!!

Wow!  Sounds like you tried a lot! You're a lot further ahead than I was when DS was 4 months old.  I thought the diet stuff was a bunch of hocus pocus and very resistant to trying it. For what its worth, DS did have trouble with some things you wouldn't expect including avocado, tomato, potato, sunflower oil (on lots of things) etc.  Were you off soy and corn?  How long did you stay off of everything?  It can take a while for everything to clear. 

I see no reason why a baby would need to eat every 1.5-2 hours at night at four months.  I know plenty do, especially plenty of MDC babies and it seems like it has become some sort of martyrdom thing on here, but I just don't believe a four month old "needs" it.  If someone was bringing me brownies in bed every two hours all night long and I wasn't old enough to know how much weight I was going to gain taking them, I'd gladly accept them and probably wake up expecting it. No Cry Sleep Solution has some good ideas on how to cut that cycle back while still being very attachment parenting focused.  If you're at the point where you want to leave your baby to cry it out (which I totally understand because I got to that point myself), you want to look at what you can change about your situation so you can continue to be the parent you want to be while still maintaining some balance and sanity for yourself.  A stressed out and unhappy mama is not a good thing for a baby.  I really think a baby is going to be happier with a better rested, less stressed mama, even if that means they don't get to nurse around the clock.   

Use that paci ;).  If it saves your sanity, it is worth it.  Like you, I also wasn't expecting motherhood to be easy, but I did expect to have a little time each day without a screaming baby.  It was honestly really draining and depressing.  I really had to throw out some of the ideas I had about how I was going to parent and decided that if the paci gave me a five seconds of silence or if driving around at 3am got DS to go to sleep, I'd do it.  You'll find out later on too that other moms are struggling more than they let on.  There was this crazy phenomenon with a lot of my friends around the six month point where supposedly *everyone's* babies were sleeping through the night...except mine.  Somehow though at 12 months, lots of people were complaining and admitting that their kids weren't sleeping still. I think there is a lot of pressure on moms and people are willing to make things sound a lot better than they are so they don't look like they are doing things "wrong."  Getting out really helped me a ton. 

Have you tried a chiropractor?  Or cranial sacral therapist?  I've had friends who have had fabulous results with chiro with their tiny babies.  They are very gentle with them.  We started with my son around age two, but wish we had done it sooner.  It wasn't expensive... she only charged $10/session for kids since insurance didn't cover it for us.  We did cranial sacral around 18 months and would notice on the days he had it he'd sleep like 12 hours straight which was great. 

If it makes you feel any better, at three years old, you'd never know my son was the crankiest thing on the planet as a baby.  He's a super happy, engaging, fun to be around kid. It takes time, but you'll figure out whats going on with him or he'll just grow out of it.  Hang in there :). 

babybob likes this.
#10 of 27 Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 AM

Yeah if DD actually took the paci IDK I think I would do it...but she never did even when I offered an array of different ones...it's all about survival mama!

#11 of 27 Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM

And do try to go to your moms' group events. Trust me. no one will care if your son is crying. And you'll probably get lots of sympathy.

#12 of 27 Old 07-16-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! Sorry I haven't responded sooner - it's a little crazy around here. I can't tell you how much your support and encouragement mean to me. I feel bad that you all went through this too, but it does make me feel better to know I'm not the only one and that I'm not the worst mother ever. We're going to church in the morning and have a playdate scheduled for Thursday! Wish us luck! :-)
#13 of 27 Old 07-16-2011, 09:21 PM

i do think babies at 4 months do need to eat every 2 hours. ( i don't think it is martyrdom)  that aside i think you should try a LLL meeting or some other mom and baby group just to get out. it helps so much just to be around other grown ups even just once a week, and some of those mamas will probably even hold that little one of yours. ((hug)) a chiro might be able to help also.

sosurreal09 likes this.

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#14 of 27 Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 PM

Whether or not a baby "needs" to eat every two hours at night is dependent on the babe, how much he nurses during the day, etc. It's not inappropriate at that age to try gentle methods of spreading out night feedings and increasing daytime calories.

And OP, please don't feel like you can't take a fussy baby to a parent group! It's one place where you will receive support and sympathy instead of judgment.

I know it doesn't feel like it now, but you will blink and your baby will be a toddler and this will all seem very fuzzy to you. Hang in there, mama, you're doing an awesome job! And please don't feel guilty for your feelings. Of course you're traipsing around in fairydust--you're dealing with "the suck" right now.

#15 of 27 Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 AM

@ PP I don't think it's normal to space out such a young babies feeding especially since that baby is showing that he needs it every 2hrs. I used to get mad when people told me to "space out the feedings" b/c with a HN baby it is nearly impossible! My DD had milk every 45mins 24hrs a day and was not even doing feeds 2hrs apart at night at 1 y/o so IMO her babe is doing pretty well. My DD NW herself at 18 m/o and I didn't do anything to encourage it. I had tried to space it in the past and it led to more problems.

Go with your gut mama whatever that is telling you, not what other people want you to do or what they say your baby "should" be doing.

#16 of 27 Old 07-17-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

i do think babies at 4 months do need to eat every 2 hours. ( i don't think it is martyrdom)  that aside i think you should try a LLL meeting or some other mom and baby group just to get out. it helps so much just to be around other grown ups even just once a week, and some of those mamas will probably even hold that little one of yours. ((hug)) a chiro might be able to help also.

As Jennybear said, there is NOTHING wrong with trying gentle methods to spread out night time feedings.  Sheesh.  The blanket statement that 4 month olds need to eat every two hours is just the type of thing that perpetuates mom and baby being totally out of balance because mom turns into an exhausted martyr who *must* feed baby every two hours.  Please. Notice OP is at the point where CIO sounds tempting?  This means things aren't working out and something needs to change.  You can be totally AP, totally meeting needs, and completely loving your child without feeding every 2 hours at 4 months old. 

I don't doubt there are some four month olds who might be going through a growth spurt or whatever who may need to nurse more frequently, but two hours all night long at 4 months all the time is ridiculous in my mind.  I am pregnant and wake up probably 10 times a night for various reasons...have to pee, need to flip sides, am just plain uncomfortable.  If food was sitting next to my bed, I'd probably eat it every time but that wouldn't mean I needed food.  Babies and adults wake up at night for reasons other than nutrition.  Eating all night long doesn't have to be your number one go-to and in fact might actually be causing more harm than good.  My son was EBF for the first six months, was preterm, and still by 4 months (3 months adjusted age) he was 17 pounds and by that time I had him going around 5-6 hours once at night without eating.  He got up for sure, but didn't need to eat and didn't need to put on any more weight, and didn't need an overfull belly.  There are plenty of loving ways to soothe your child at night without feeding them.  Rant over. 

#17 of 27 Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM

I would go back to pedi and ask about acid reflux.  How does he wake up at night? Do you tun at the first noise? Some babies are noisy sleepers and parents actually Wake them up but picking them up at the first noise. Listen tonight. Pick him up when it is clear that he is awake. It worked for me. I would look at the baby in the crib and it was clear that he is asleep but "talks" in his sleep.

another thing. Pump some milk. ask a friends, a relative or hire a baby nurse to come and take you baby into the park for 4 hours. Sleep. You will be amazed how you will feel.

#18 of 27 Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 AM

Yes there are other ways to soothe IF they will soothe! I'm certainly not going to say my DD was abnormal b/c she was always hungry (and yes it was hunger b/c I even pumped and had DH do bottles sometimes to see and she would down 3 oz not just nibble and doze off) and she took both breasts all feeds even at night. But I guess she was a freak and I should have done something about that!

You know I get you are ranting and I agree there is NOTHING wrong with soothing another way, nothing at all, but not all babies are YOUR baby who apparently took to it OK. I got so much sh*t for my DD not sleeping more than 45mins at a time and I tried and tried and tried to get her to go longer, but it was impossible. It just was. She would be awake screaming for HOURS unless I fed her. It's not like it was easy constantly being on the clock but I did what *my* DD needed and I certainly do not regret it.

If OP can get him to go longer great go for it all is well and done but if it's hell on earth I'm not going to tell her "it's doing more harm than good" to just nurse her baby!

rant over

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

As Jennybear said, there is NOTHING wrong with trying gentle methods to spread out night time feedings.  Sheesh.  The blanket statement that 4 month olds need to eat every two hours is just the type of thing that perpetuates mom and baby being totally out of balance because mom turns into an exhausted martyr who *must* feed baby every two hours.  Please. Notice OP is at the point where CIO sounds tempting?  This means things aren't working out and something needs to change.  You can be totally AP, totally meeting needs, and completely loving your child without feeding every 2 hours at 4 months old. 

I don't doubt there are some four month olds who might be going through a growth spurt or whatever who may need to nurse more frequently, but two hours all night long at 4 months all the time is ridiculous in my mind.  I am pregnant and wake up probably 10 times a night for various reasons...have to pee, need to flip sides, am just plain uncomfortable.  If food was sitting next to my bed, I'd probably eat it every time but that wouldn't mean I needed food.  Babies and adults wake up at night for reasons other than nutrition.  Eating all night long doesn't have to be your number one go-to and in fact might actually be causing more harm than good.  My son was EBF for the first six months, was preterm, and still by 4 months (3 months adjusted age) he was 17 pounds and by that time I had him going around 5-6 hours once at night without eating.  He got up for sure, but didn't need to eat and didn't need to put on any more weight, and didn't need an overfull belly.  There are plenty of loving ways to soothe your child at night without feeding them.  Rant over. 

#19 of 27 Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Hugs to the OP. And I totally agree about just GOING to the mom's group. I was part of a social group that met weekly when my DD was that age (Well, it still does). And I rememeber not going out when she was really fussy, but when I made myself GO - she always calmed down and had a great time looking at things, seeing new people etc. I was usually able to carry her or wear her in a sling.

I would also like to address the posts about eating every 2 hours through the night at 4 months. It's true that some babies might not need to eat. But there's really not a lot of research on breast milk-storage and production and babies. So maybe some moms are making a ton of milk OR they have high fat milk OR babies are able to nurse in such a way as they can go 4-6 hours at night without eating. But maybe some breasts are making milk in a different way (less fat, more digestable), or babies are latching in a different way or digesting milk in a different way and THOSE babies DO need to eat every 2 hours. I think the point here is that it's not unusual for 4 month old babies to feed that frequently and we want the OP to be aware of that and not think her baby is an outlier. The crying is very rough and unusual though.

Yes, it's really, really tough. and I want to OP to be really, really gentle with herself and acknowledge how hard this is and how much she's already done.

OP - what can you do to get some more real-life on-the-ground support? Can you find a mothers helper? Can DH adjust his schedule to help you more? Could you go on an extended vacation and stay with relatives for a little while? Is there a gym or some kind of child care options for you? I think a few hours PER DAY away from this adorable screaming little monster will help you tremendously. Remind DH that it isn't forever, it's for now - 2 weeks, a month, a few months. This too shall pass, but until it does you need to find a way to do something different and by that, I really mean get some more help and support.

sosurreal09 and babybob like this.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#20 of 27 Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Yes there are other ways to soothe IF they will soothe! I'm certainly not going to say my DD was abnormal b/c she was always hungry (and yes it was hunger b/c I even pumped and had DH do bottles sometimes to see and she would down 3 oz not just nibble and doze off) and she took both breasts all feeds even at night. But I guess she was a freak and I should have done something about that!

You know I get you are ranting and I agree there is NOTHING wrong with soothing another way, nothing at all, but not all babies are YOUR baby who apparently took to it OK. I got so much sh*t for my DD not sleeping more than 45mins at a time and I tried and tried and tried to get her to go longer, but it was impossible. It just was. She would be awake screaming for HOURS unless I fed her. It's not like it was easy constantly being on the clock but I did what *my* DD needed and I certainly do not regret it.

If OP can get him to go longer great go for it all is well and done but if it's hell on earth I'm not going to tell her "it's doing more harm than good" to just nurse her baby!

rant over

I wasn't referring to you at all.  My kid didn't sleep for more than 45 minutes for the longest time either.  Many nights it was literally more like 20.  I am not saying people can't or shouldn't feed their 4 month old every two hours all night long if they wish to BUT I am saying it is ridiculous to say that all four month olds NEED to nurse every two hours all night long.  Perpetuating that sort of myth is the sort of thing that leads moms to feel like failures when most of the time, at four months old, babies do not need to nurse every two hours around the clock.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying other methods to soothe.  If they don't work, fine, but we shouldn't be telling people their baby NEEDS to nurse every two hours all night long because it simply is not true for the majority of infants. 

#21 of 27 Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 AM

And, with reflux babies, it can make things much worse.  I know...I had one. 

#22 of 27 Old 07-18-2011, 11:30 AM

Sorry I may have taken it too personal b/c I am still traumatized by my DDs 1st year of life (it was hell). I did say though I agree you an certainly try other things to soothe. I think I was mostly offended by the whole "more harm than good" statement about nursing the baby every 2hrs b/c I certainly don't think I caused my DD harm by nursing her "too much" KWIM? IDK if the majority of 4 m/o can go longer than 2hrs, mine couldn't and I only have had one DD and haven't researched it at all, but I know for *my* DD that was not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

I wasn't referring to you at all.  My kid didn't sleep for more than 45 minutes for the longest time either.  Many nights it was literally more like 20.  I am not saying people can't or shouldn't feed their 4 month old every two hours all night long if they wish to BUT I am saying it is ridiculous to say that all four month olds NEED to nurse every two hours all night long.  Perpetuating that sort of myth is the sort of thing that leads moms to feel like failures when most of the time, at four months old, babies do not need to nurse every two hours around the clock.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying other methods to soothe.  If they don't work, fine, but we shouldn't be telling people their baby NEEDS to nurse every two hours all night long because it simply is not true for the majority of infants. 

#23 of 27 Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Sorry I may have taken it too personal b/c I am still traumatized by my DDs 1st year of life (it was hell). I did say though I agree you an certainly try other things to soothe. I think I was mostly offended by the whole "more harm than good" statement about nursing the baby every 2hrs b/c I certainly don't think I caused my DD harm by nursing her "too much" KWIM? IDK if the majority of 4 m/o can go longer than 2hrs, mine couldn't and I only have had one DD and haven't researched it at all, but I know for *my* DD that was not the case.

I don't think you harmed your daughter and that isn't what I meant by more harm than good.  I should have been more clear and I added it after my last reply, but what I am getting at is with certain cases such as reflux, the constant feeding at night isn't a good thing.  If definitely did more harm than good with my son.  I'm not about to criticize any night time measures any parent takes to soothe their baby, including feeding.  I know how tough it can be.  I had to have had one of the world's worst sleepers ever and every day was pretty much living hell.  I am just saying it is perfectly okay, loving, and AP to try other methods to soothe babies other than feeding.  Some might need to eat or may not be soothed other ways.  Plenty can be soothed without feeding.  I think we're on the same page ;). 

#24 of 27 Old 07-18-2011, 03:38 PM

I think you definitely need to find some help. Friends, family husband? Church friends? Could you pay for a mother's helper for a few hours a week? 

#25 of 27 Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 AM

how long did you go off dairy? It can take two weeks to get dairy out completely.I did this with DS, cut out everything but chicken, rice, veggies and non citrus fruit. Longest 2 weeks of my life, but dairy ended up being the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybob View Post

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#26 of 27 Old 07-25-2011, 08:27 AM

I am so sorry you are going through this! Just know that you are doing a great job!

Caring for any baby is exhausting, but caring for a cranky one is even harder...and it's normal to feel frustrated and overwhelmed.  Like pp's have said, if there's a way to get out of the house - do it.  if you can get a bay sitter - even just so that you can nap - do it.  it's okay to need a break, and it sounds like you need one for your sanity, and it doesn't mean that you aren't doing a good job.

are you seeing signs in LO's diaper that is making you think that there is a food allergy? are you cooking your rice in chicken broth? does it seem to be a gassy belly, or is LO just totally uncomfortable? does LO have hives or eczema?  it did take my DS's symptoms at least 3 weeks to get better when cutting out dairy AND soy, and the less i ate of it, the less it would take to get a reaction from DS.

have you read "happiest baby on the block"? There are a bunch of really good suggestions that helped us tremendously - even beyond the "colic" stage.  the biggie for us was just running the shower - and it was definitely pretty loud in our little bathroom.  or the vacuum cleaner - something with a good amount of noise that will get LO's attention.  even now (at 8.5 months) if DS is over tired, i think he gets disturbed by his own crying, and i have to do something to distract him from it.  right now it's humming rather loudly while i'm rocking him.  then he is able to pay attention to the sound of my humming, and i'll then start humming a nursery rhyme that he likes, and within a minute he is asleep.  i'm sure that if your LO isn't sleeping enough, that he is hugely over tired, which will only compound the problem.  also at this age DS hit a "wonder week" where he goes through a mental development leap, which causes DS to be very clingy and sleep really bad, and be really cranky.  if you google "wonder weeks" you will get a bunch of info - the timing and description of behaviors, which fit my DS to a tee. if there is something that you can do to get DS to sleep - do it, don't worry about making bad associations at this point. and if you need to nap while DS does, that's okay, other stuff can wait.

also, if your LO is very sensitive to his surroundings, have you considered the fabric that you are dressing him in, or perfumes/detergents you use? i know this is mind boggling at this point, but it WILL get better!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#27 of 27 Old 07-26-2011, 06:39 PM

I don't know if you're still reading this, but my dd was the same way. It turns out that I have over-supply issues. It was not something I ever considered (and not something to diagnose yourself). However, a good lactation consultant might be able to help you work through some of the issues. I struggled with my first, and then a lac consultant gave me great info fo rmy second, so when the issues started again, I knew how to "fix" it. I don't think babies are just PO'ed. I think there is usually a reason. My first dd had to be held constantly, bounced and walked room to room. If i stopped any of those things, she'd scream. Wish I had more time, and hope things are calming down now.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page