What is your hardest time(s) of the day? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have two.

One is the the hour or so before naptime.  He naps late so all of our morning events are over, lunch is over, and time just drrrrrrrrags. 

The second is around 5-6:30, before DH comes home.  I swear the clock slows down at this time.  Seriously.

How about you?

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 07-27-2011, 06:09 PM

I seem to drag from 3p - 5p.  DH gets home around 4, which we all look forwards to, but he usually retreats to the computer before dinner.  The older two rarely nap anymore, but by 3 I've lost hope in getting DD1 to nap.  So the kids are tired and wound up with Daddy getting home and I have to get dinner ready with crazy children running around.  Somedays I forget an afternoon snack and that turns into chaos!

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#3 of 27 Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 PM

6pm to bedtime is the worst for us especially if my husband is working overtime.

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

#4 of 27 Old 07-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

From 3 to 5 is the hardest time of day for us. That's when my energy dips and I need some downtime, and the kids are tired too but instead of resting they just antagonize each other. I give them a snack at 3:00 and try to sit down with a book or something, but within 15 minutes they're usually fighting. I need to rework that part of our day -- some days we'll go for a walk to the little neighborhood park at that time, and that always goes well, but most days even that just feels too taxing to me at that time of day (and lately it's been too hot). 

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 27 Old 07-28-2011, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

3-5pm for me too. I'm tired, LO is tired and we're just hanging out for Daddy to get home and to be able to start the bedtime routine.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 27 Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrrunchberrie View Post

6pm to bedtime is the worst for us especially if my husband is working overtime.

This! If my hubby doesn't come home at all before bedtime, dinner to bedtime is brutal.

jksmith likes this.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#7 of 27 Old 07-31-2011, 06:10 PM

My husband is overseas right now so the hardest times is the first hour the kids are awake and the last hour before bedtime. I think its because they all want/need me at the same time and there is only 1 of me to go around. By the time i get one taken care of the other two are screaming, if I get one sleeping the other two wake him/her up, etc. Like tonight Ive been trying to put them to bed for the last hour and they just woke the baby who was sleeping. Lord save me! Im praying this deployment goes fast because right now we are on month 3 and Im going on little to no sleep, I don't know how Im going to do another 6-8 months of it!

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#8 of 27 Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Like everyone else, the later afternoon just plain stinks. I try to get outside OR out of the house for awhile before dinner because it helps. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#9 of 27 Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 PM

I guess I don't have any specific times. It depends on the day. Most days DH doesn't get home until 7-8, so I usually do the bedtime routine myself anyway. Sometimes he gets home early, but I certainly can't plan on that. Some days he doesn't get home until 10. he's on commission which means crazy hours. Luckily I have a ton of friends and family nearby, so if I know he's going to be late or gone all day I can plan on spending the evening with my parents or something to break up the monotony of being home with 2 kids all day! lol

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#10 of 27 Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 PM

the mornings because I stay so so tired and around 4-5pm because my youngest starts getting sleepy and it's too early for him to go to sleep. He usually dozes off when I'm in the kitchen and cant keep him awake.

#11 of 27 Old 08-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

First thing in the morning - I just struggle so much waking up myself & ds isn't into getting up & going - breakfast can take over an hour for him to eat & it irritates me.

2-4 in the afternoon is my energy slump & I just want to sleep. I never seem to have enough sleep at night & am missing him napping big time.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#12 of 27 Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 PM

my worst part of the day is the second that i wake up. since we cosleep, the babies usually wake up at the same time and its usually before i wake up, and ds1 needs to go potty immediately, then he starts talking away when im barely awake, then he usually is complaining about his blankie being either wet or hot or something weird. then ds2 wants to be in my arms this whole time, he needs a diaper change, usually he needs to nurse ... sigh...all before ive had my coffee. i truly hate the morning.

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#13 of 27 Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

The second hour of our day is the hardest. In the first hour, DD is pretty thrilled to greet all of her toys.  After that, if she's going to be in a bad mood for the day, it really starts to show.  I'm trying to get us both fed, dressed, etc. as quickly as possible so I can get us out of the house and on our walk; she's crying and balking at every turn, running circles around the house to avoid me.  Argh. 

#14 of 27 Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 PM

around 4-6pm the clock goes so slow. the kids are tired i am tired. it makes for long days.

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#15 of 27 Old 08-23-2011, 07:09 PM

Add me to the 4-6 club.   Now that school is starting and ODD will not be napping, she will be tired and crabby.   Dh is usually home at 5, but hides upstairs on his laptop till dinner and then goes back up till he gets up in the am.  It's quite annoying b/c the kids want to see him and they are running all over the place and fighting while I'm trying to cook dinner.  

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#16 of 27 Old 08-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Late afternoon into dinner time.  DS is over his toys and wants my attention but I need to cook.  He likes to "help" in the kitchen but it usually ends up with me needing to clean up a huge mess or a fight because he can't stick his hand into a pot of boiling water like he'd like to.  If DH is home for dinner he isn't much help either because he wants to ask a million billion questions. 

Sometimes first thing in the morning can be rough.  I'm not a morning person and need at least two cups of coffee to get going but kiddo jumps out of bed and is ready to tackle the day.

Vegetarian, Montessori-loving, Blogging, Doula in Training, Student Midwife Mama to A 10/17/09

#17 of 27 Old 08-26-2011, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni1894 View Post

Add me to the 4-6 club.   Now that school is starting and ODD will not be napping, she will be tired and crabby.   Dh is usually home at 5, but hides upstairs on his laptop till dinner and then goes back up till he gets up in the am.  It's quite annoying b/c the kids want to see him and they are running all over the place and fighting while I'm trying to cook dinner.  

Several people posted similar things about their DH.  I feel like this would make me absolutely furious.  It doesn't make you(pl.) furious? 

#18 of 27 Old 08-26-2011, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Between the time my older dd gets off the bus from school (4ish) to when I finish making supper (6ish). Dh usually comes home about when supper is done, so he is of no help with the kids while I'm cooking. It's just tiring and chaotic.
#19 of 27 Old 09-01-2011, 05:47 PM

DH is usually home late, but the nights he isn't he's out doing things that need to be done(yard work, etc). If he came home at 5 and retreated to the computer for the whole night I'd have a little hissy fit! I don't have a problem with him not helping with the kids if he's doing other stuff that has to be done. It gets tiring sometimes, but there's no way around it really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Several people posted similar things about their DH.  I feel like this would make me absolutely furious.  It doesn't make you(pl.) furious? 

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#20 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 01:44 PM

First thing in the morning. I am just NOT a morning person and first have to get three grumpy boys up adout the door by 6:15 am for school and then the younger two wake up right after. My 4 yr ol is a chatterbox who starts talking a mile a minute bfore my brain iscapble of comprehending the English language and my sirited toddler is runing in circles and leaping off furniture.... Im just a zombie trying to remember how the coffee maker works....

The second worst is at 4 when the older three get home and its all about snacks and homework and preparing dinner. Its sheer chaos and Im on my own since hubby works at 4 so Im trying to chop veggies, read spelling words aloud, listen to my kindergartner read aloud, help with math problems, keep my younger two from distracting, feed everyone a decent snack....arrrrggghhhh!!!!

#21 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

When I'm making dinner and bedtime.  Not both everyday.

#22 of 27 Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 AM

I have a hard time first thing in the morning because I am exhausted and not ready to move yet but DS1 is jumping on me, needing to go potty and/or get changed and DS2 co-sleeps so DS1 wakes him up.

Getting lunch in my toddler is usually stressful because I have to do it early enough so he doesn't get overtired or the nap will suffer.  DS2 is usually fussy then too and I have to juggle the two until one or both fall asleep.

Late afternoon/before dinner is by far the WORST because DS1 gets so obnoxious- he wants to crawl around under my legs while I am cooking or ram his toys into me or pull on my legs or throw tantrums.  He is impossible to keep occupied while I cook.  Meanwhile DS2 gets fussy and wants to be held while I cook, which isn't safe or easy to do.  I need a cook!

Mum to DS1 7/09 and DS2 5/11

#23 of 27 Old 09-17-2011, 11:39 PM

That time right before dinner. They're usually antsy (bored of our typical afternoon activities of crafting, gardening, gaming and indoorish stuff) and hungry by that time, and I'm often busy cooking dinner so I can't go do stuff with them as easily. In the summer it's easy, I can just send them outside, but in the winters I don't like them being out by themselves at dusk or in the dark, so unless there are other people around, they're confined to the indoors or a small, boring outside area. That hour before dinner is when 90% of our squabbles and whining happens, so I know it's our problem time of the day and I probably need to make an effort to consciously but subtly shift our rhythm. We don't have a schedule, but there's a definite rhythm to our day and it's obviously leading us to this problem hour, so I need to work on it.

#24 of 27 Old 09-17-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penstamon View Post

I have a hard time first thing in the morning because I am exhausted and not ready to move yet but DS1 is jumping on me, needing to go potty and/or get changed and DS2 co-sleeps so DS1 wakes him up.

Getting lunch in my toddler is usually stressful because I have to do it early enough so he doesn't get overtired or the nap will suffer.  DS2 is usually fussy then too and I have to juggle the two until one or both fall asleep.

Late afternoon/before dinner is by far the WORST because DS1 gets so obnoxious- he wants to crawl around under my legs while I am cooking or ram his toys into me or pull on my legs or throw tantrums.  He is impossible to keep occupied while I cook.  Meanwhile DS2 gets fussy and wants to be held while I cook, which isn't safe or easy to do.  I need a cook!

Oh boy, I remember those years mama! Hang in there, it does get a lot better ;) I had mine at almost the same age gap, and those were all huge problem times for me too.

#25 of 27 Old 09-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Our two hardest times are

1) the hour or so just before dinner and our bedtime routine and, if he's working the day shift, when daddy gets home. It just seems to drag on forever. Once we get in the groove of dinner, the relief of DH being home, and working toward her bedtime, it goes much faster. 

2) If DD is still awake, 9-11pm. She's a sleep fighter, and I get so drained trying to help her fall asleep it feels like it will never happen. It's always a relief when she's goes down without a struggle.

mama to 1 gorgeous DD 11/05/10

When we know better, we do better.

#26 of 27 Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 AM

Mine is 7-8:30 or until DH comes home (usually between 8 and 8:30) we eat dinner late here and I find it nearly impossible to cook at that time. I try to do a little prep for dinner during naptime but then I feel like I am cooking all day.

I usually am OK until about 6pm but then I feel like DH should be home soon and I know he won't be so I get discouraged. So time drags till 7 and then it gets tough.  I suppose if he were getting paid for all that extra work he puts in it would be a little better. But at least DH is a huge help with the kids when he is home!

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#27 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 05:10 PM

3-5 .. it always has been.  Even before kids!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page