Can I run away from home today? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My oldest has chosen today to test out being 'in charge'.  (Of what, I don't know, but it means that she's being decidedly pushy and demanding and ovewhelming.)  My three year old is being a bully in general and has decided that any communication shall be carried out through screaming at the top of his voice (usually this revolves around his saying 'NO!!')  My nearly 2 yo is being exceptionally whiny and clingy.  In fact, I just put him down because I needed to load the dishwasher and he spent the whole time standing in one spot on the floor crying because I'd had the audacity to put him down.  

It is decidedly one of THOSE days. 

Thank goodness tomorrow is Saturday.  I think I might even ask my parents to watch them all for an hour so I can go get a cup of coffee alone (the coffee shop is about 20 yards from my parent's house...)  Short of being hospitalized, I've never asked them to do that before.  I need a break. 

#2 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Only if I can go with you. wink1.gif

~ Yank Transplant to Britain and Zookeeper of 4 DC age 10 and under. ~
#3 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 11:09 AM

and me!  and i only have one toddler now.

#4 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

I think we all need a day to run away!  

I love finally being able to be a SAHM, but goodness, when the walls do close in I remember what it was like to put on pretty clothes and go to meetings.  There was a time I was active in community and local government- and when I was in  position to effect significant impact in the community.  Now, I count my blessings if I make it to lunch with my already frumpy clothing and hair still mostly in order. 

surrender.gif

(Oddly, most days I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I just find it discouraging that I am capable of facilitating complex mediation around very heated issues, but I can't manage to keep the kids from yelling at each other over a cheerio.)

#5 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

I think we all need a day to run away!  

I love finally being able to be a SAHM, but goodness, when the walls do close in I remember what it was like to put on pretty clothes and go to meetings.  There was a time I was active in community and local government- and when I was in  position to effect significant impact in the community.  Now, I count my blessings if I make it to lunch with my already frumpy clothing and hair still mostly in order. 

surrender.gif

(Oddly, most days I wouldn't trade it for the world.  I just find it discouraging that I am capable of facilitating complex mediation around very heated issues, but I can't manage to keep the kids from yelling at each other over a cheerio.)

nod.gif  It is so hard sometimes not to think about all of my "skills" outside the home... I remind myself just how smart and efficient and good looking I am when I don't have 2 kids draped on me..... and then sigh and remember I CHOSE to  SAH for THEIR benefit, and someday I will be pretty again. When is someday.... ? lol.gif I had a day like this a few days ago and actually left my DH with the kids (3 yo and 6 mo) for an hour and a half to go get coffee and read. It was the first time I left DD with him....  but I was ready to snap! Everything's been better since I got out (just for an hour and a half! Who knew?). 

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#6 of 9 Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Because DH isn't currently living with us (he's working in or new home while I finish up loose ends here) I am beginning to reach the end of my rope.  I love being a SAHM most of the time, but 24/7 on my own for about a year has been enough to send me over the edge.  

I think taking an hour or so for myself tomorrow will help. 

#7 of 9 Old 08-20-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I just find it discouraging that I am capable of facilitating complex mediation around very heated issues, but I can't manage to keep the kids from yelling at each other over a cheerio.)

Yes!

I could have written this.

*sigh*

#8 of 9 Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 AM

I take time to myself all the time. Do it, and don't feel guilty. Your kids need time with their grandparents and dads too.

#9 of 9 Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 AM

Can I come? I need a vacation..

I was actually just joking with my husband about the fact that I could take care of a group of Marines and get a job done with no trouble. I could command the respect of the men because of the type of leader I was.. How is it that I could do that but my kids don't seem to listen to anything I say? I would think it would be easier to get kids to do things than a group of adults but Ive been proven wrong about that one. Or maybe its because the "look of death" (as lovingly nick named by one of the guys I worked with) doesn't work with my littles like it did with my Marines..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page