worried about when baby comes; alone - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-25-2011, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hey mamas,

i am feeling worried and scared.  i am due with baby #3 in two months.  i am very excited about the baby, but i am truly worried about the aloneness that comes with being a stay at home mom in this town.  my older two are at school now in kindergarten and 2nd grade.  the pregnancy has been me at home alone, and honestly i thought the alone time would be nice, but it is starting to get really lonely.  my husband has a demanding job and is not always emotionally available b/c his job is tough for him.  he typically needs alot from me in terms of support.  i don't have any family within driving distance, and they don't call me very much either.  i haven't managed to make any friends in this town where we have been for two years now.  very few people stay at home, and if they do, they don't call me!  i made a big effort when we first moved here to make friends.  I had playdates every week, and no one recipricated and invited me back. 

so i feel really scared that after baby is born, i might feel some depression b/c of my soilitude and the emotions and lack of sleep that come with a a baby.  any thoughts, advice, words of support?  i am thinking of joining MOPS, however, it is really religiously based in this town, and i am not religious.  other than mops, there are no moms groups.  there is really nothing to do as a mom in this town.  it is very small.  thanks for your replies.

#2 of 6 Old 10-25-2011, 08:28 PM

I can totally empathize, i could practically have written that post myself 8 months ago! My youngest is 6m, dd is 3, and dd#1 is 10. My hands were so full I started to wonder what the hell i was doing having another kid, and then cried since it was a little late for that lol. It is hard when you don't have a really good support system. I think u should dig a little deeper into local activities..there must be SOMETHING out there. I know that I had no idea some of the programs that existed. What about at the library? If nothing else there will be other families there u can ask where they go hang out and do kid friendly activities. Make a real effort to get out a few days a week. Go for a walk a few days a week, go grocery shopping another, and hit the library or park too to meet other parents even if just to find out what's around.
#3 of 6 Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 AM

MOPS is a religious group, but if you have a filter, you might get some enjoyment out of it and meet some women you'd like to know better outside of the group.  Is there a la leche league that meets anywhere nearby?

many libraries have story time for babies in arms, and that might be a good place to meet other mothers.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#4 of 6 Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I know, it is so hard to connect with other people sometimes! I spend a lot of time trying to find people for my 19 month old to connect with and some times it is depressing! I have a fair # of aquaintences and am finally starting to get into possible play dates but I still feel like my ds needs way more connections with kids than he has right now- I Am pretty okay with alone time but I feel ds needs more.

My advice is to keep pursuing play dates, other moms, other people. I alwyas feel like it seems like every sahm would want to connect with others- like, what do people do with their kids all day? but then I also know that sometimes it is hard to make plans when you have kids as you don;'t know how the day will go. I think lots of people fell the way you do and feel like- what is wrong with me? but I think it is oftne not personal why people don't call back- people just get overwhelmed. So just try and try- sometimes it only takes having one other mom and kid to make all the difference- good luck! I am keeping on trying too!

#5 of 6 Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 PM

I felt the same way after my twin girls came home from the NICU. For a while we could not be around other children and I felt SO alone! I joined Stroller Strides and that saved my sanity! It is nation-wide so there might be one close enough to you. If you lived here I would take you under my wing :) It gets better, keep searching!

Wife to DH  dh_malesling.GIF Momma to twin girls slingtwin.gif cloth diapering, no vaxing, family bed, organic living, eating and wearing family! treehugger.gif

#6 of 6 Old 11-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

are you planning to breastfeed? You may have already thought of this, but what about La Leche League? Going to some meetings would be a great way to meet some ladies that may be like-minded.... 

That's so hard to live somewhere where you haven't been able to make friends. I know the feeling, somewhat. I hope things get better :(  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page