vent. frustrated and disappointed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i never expected staying at home to be a picnic. but i'm so saddened and frustrated by the fact that my dc seems so disrespectful and even disdainful of me. he tells me to go away several times a day. deliberately disobeys a lot. i am to the point where i am looking for work outside the home so my husband can stay home instead (i could make a better living anyway with my skillset). i am so sad because for years and years (before i had children and even up until recently) all i wanted to do was stay at home, make a happy household and homeschool.

i understand that things don't always work out how you think they should, but i can't help but feel like a failure. i am laid back, practice gentle discipline, extended breastfeed, co sleep... the works. my son is 2.5. i know its probably normal, i guess, his behavior, but i just can't help but feel completely disrespected and worthless!! i don't want him to feel indebted to me, i just want a loving son (which he *can* be!). this phase sucks. thanks for reading. any input would be appreciated.

mama to Jack 5/3/09 wife to family of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have little advice, but I went through the same thing. I always thought I would SAH and homeschool. I was amazed at home unfulfilling and mind numbing I found SAH to be. I am lucky in that my husband and I switch off a lot, so I was able to experience the great parts of SAH while still getting grown up time outside the house. I have an incredibly difficult 8 year old, so I hear you on that as well. 

Can you work part time? 

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#3 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 08:43 AM

I get why you are frustrated :(  That really sucks. I don't have any advice but wanted to send you some support. Hang in there and trust your instincts to make the best decision for your family. 

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#4 of 9 Old 11-05-2011, 09:59 AM

I wish I had some really great advice for you, but I often have days like that myself (especially recently) My DS turned 2 in august so not too much younger than your little one. He can be very gentle and loving and then become very willful and defiant to the point where I'm at a loss what to do. I know for us getting out of the house and changing things up a bit can help. For some reason, he is far better behaved in public. Also, are you able to take some time for yourself while your DH watches him?

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#5 of 9 Old 11-11-2011, 08:43 PM

It sounds like you are really trying to have a good relationshiop with your son. In time he will come to appreciate this but for now he's exerting his independence(maybe even a little too much..?) I am not quite there with my dd who will be 2 in Feb. I hate to give advice on such a cryptic topic like child-rearing when I havn't been through the event myself because lord knows my views of many things up until now were extremely skewed prior to experience. My little one is very willful and I'm sure we're not far behind ;) I wish you all the best!

#6 of 9 Old 11-13-2011, 05:44 PM

2 year olds are not good at making people feel appreciated- lol- so i feel for you! i really feel like just now my almost 8 year old is starting to appreciate other people now more. i just started to SAH too, and i am not finding it to be as amazing as i thought it was. i think i built it up for myself. my 2.5 year old is very busy, and much more work than i thought she would be. it's exhausting! and this is coming from someone who worked in a room full of 2 year olds before she started to SAH! i think the difference is that then i was getting regular breaks and interaction from other adults, and it was a professional environment where i felt respected for planning the curriculum, putting on events, and interacting with the parents and children. 

anyway, i think you should do what you think you need to. i'm pregnant right now, but after i recover from giving birth i'll be taking another look at what type of situation will be best for our family. i'm thinking maybe a part time job. good luck!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#7 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Kids are total narcissists until they hit about 4.  Just keep repeating that it's not about you and you'll be just fine.  

#8 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Hmmm  ... how does your husband treat you? Can you think of anyone that might be modeling this behavior? Are you like this to anyone? A pet? Just a suggestion ... not pointing a finger by any means. Kids absorb some pretty trivial stuff. Keep your eyes open and maybe it will become clearer.

hug.gif

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#9 of 9 Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 PM

My son is 8 and can be very disrespectful to me... his tone of voice is awful..... Today after school my daughter dropped her papers and said YOU pick them up!!!  I was humiliated. I don't know why they are like this.... and I am trying to correct it.  When they were little they were sweet and I waited on them hand and foot and am paying for it now- they think I am their slave and maid.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page