Warning! Extremely upsetting/triggering story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-16-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you ever discussed with your child what to do if you died suddenly? http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501712_162-57318269.html

This story is so unbelievably upsetting, and it's one of my worst fears. What would happen if I just dropped dead. We live in an apartment building and I know that some of my neighbors work part time or from home. I'm thinking about talking to my neighbors about doing an emergency "drill" and having DD go door to door and asking for help.
Has anyone talked to your kids about this?

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-16-2011, 04:00 PM

I have. I do.

I am teaching DS1 to how dial 9-1-1 and what to say. He also knows how to call his father and his nanny. We practice safety related things, daily.

It is a fear that seems to come in waves; after DS1 was born, then it resurfaced close to DS2's birth. 

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#3 of 6 Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM

This is actually a fear of mine.  I'm not a stay at home parent any more but I am a single parent so it's just the 2 of us a lot of the time.  I do have a downstairs neighbour that I'm sure would do something if ds was crying for an extended time.  And I'm in contact with my mom every other day but that could still leave a lot of time before she missed hearing from me.  Likely ds would act just like the girl in this story - assume I was sleeping and fend for himself, I'm not sure how much he would cry if he thought I just wouldn't wake up..  I should teach him to use my phone in case of an emergency but he is not quite 3 so I'm not sure if he would.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#4 of 6 Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have such a great support network that a friend of mine did come to bang on my door once because my two year old answered the phone. I was ill but okay. I'll never forget how sheepish she felt but how happy I was that she cared enough about me to make sure we were okay.
#5 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 04:54 AM

I had a huge fear of this especially when I was a single parent. My eldest was able to memorise how to call for help and in what circumstances from a very early age thankfully. Such a sad story. :(

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

#6 of 6 Old 01-01-2012, 04:02 PM

Oh my gosh, that is so awful. Poor girl.

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page