SAHP---what does your day look like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-27-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Recently had a new baby and I feel like unproductive mess!  I don't shower until almost noon, hardly have time to fix a sandwich and eat.  I feel like a mess!  Is tis normal?  I imagined being that clean,happy mom with daily projects and plans and play dates but I'm exhausted!

#2 of 13 Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 PM

I came here looking for some sort of SAHM guide or instruction sheet smile.gif I had a baby six weeks ago and as of xmas break, my 4 year old is home full time w/me  and my 11 yo is no longer in after school care. I'm not really sure how to make this transition without  it feeling like a perpetual weekend. Also, things like going to the store are really intimidating w/2 kids & a newborn who screams in his carseat, so I've been really hesitant to get anything on our schedule...

#3 of 13 Old 12-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpenderg View Post

I don't shower until almost noon, hardly have time to fix a sandwich and eat.  I feel like a mess!

Yep, you have a new baby alright. wink1.gif

If your kids are getting what they need, you're doing great. If you can meet your needs, too, you're doing fantastic. If you manage to get everything you need to do done, do it all without a hair out of place, a fresh face and clothes, AND fit in daily projects and play dates, you're a freaking goddess.

Give yourself time to adjust. You have plenty of time to perfect a routine later.

#4 of 13 Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 PM

My baby is four months old, and he is my first, and it definitely tool me awhile to get into a routine.

I take care of the baby all day, and the house, so a good portion of my day is spent with him and in cleaning. Being home, I've also gotten more into cooking and got back into baking, which I hadn't been doing much of before the baby was born. Cooking/baking has really been a creative outlet for me. Usually I start any projects in the morning, so that with the interruptions of a baby, by the end of the day, I've accomplished making at least one dish.

I also make it a point to shower first thing in the morning, when my husband is with the baby, and put on clothes that aren't sweats. Nothing wrong with sweatshirts and yoga pants, but for myself, I need to "get dressed" in the morning to avoid getting in a rut. Again, that's just something I've found I personally need.

For the first two months, though, I have to say that I was really trying to find my footing, and it was tricky. There was so much adjusting to be done, both at a logistical and emotional level, that I tired my best not to worry about it at the time, but to let things come back together more organically.

#5 of 13 Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There's no "normal" when you have a young baby. Everyone wings it at the beginning. And playdates for babies are for you really, not them. They're really support groups for moms and are great to get to if you're able but it's something to do for your benefit.' I'd try to work it in at some point but don't stress about it as it should be something that helps, not something you stress about.

Relax, take it easy, give yourself time to adjust, and try to get enough sleep! Hugs to you and your little one!

#6 of 13 Old 01-03-2012, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

#7 of 13 Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Yep it's normal.

You may feel better though if you do something early in the day, like showering and getting dressed.  Obviously it's a personality thing, but for myself I feel *soooo* much better when I start out clean and dressed, even if I don't do anything else.  If I needed to, I brought baby into the shower with me and just rinsed us both off. (My last baby loved that.  He would close his eyes and go completely limp in the shower.  Total bliss).

#8 of 13 Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

Yep it's normal.

You may feel better though if you do something early in the day, like showering and getting dressed.  Obviously it's a personality thing, but for myself I feel *soooo* much better when I start out clean and dressed, even if I don't do anything else.  If I needed to, I brought baby into the shower with me and just rinsed us both off. (My last baby loved that.  He would close his eyes and go completely limp in the shower.  Total bliss).

That's how DS is, too. It's a great way to get him into sleepy mode. It is hard for me to wash my hair or shave while holding him, but at the very least, getting rinsed off in a warm shower is refreshing.

#9 of 13 Old 01-06-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

Yep it's normal.

I second this advice. When my daughter are describing was my normal too and I know it was normal for most of my mama friends too. Setting aside the time to get showered and dress first thing in the morning (on most days anyway) proved to be immensely helpful. I also began to plan out a lunch menu for the week and made food that could be stored in the refrigerator and quickly heated up come lunch time. Smoothies and homemade breakfast burritos (freezer cooking) were my breakfast. Providing myself with nourishing food and a shower was a big pick-me-up and helped me to feel better all around. 

~Daisy~

Unschooling Mother to S, my 6yo "Moon Farmer"energy.gif

#10 of 13 Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 PM

I have what may be one of the most naive questions ever asked here:  how do y'all wash with the baby in the shower?  Is the baby in arms, in a sling (um... soggy), a bumbo?

I also want to say to OP:  I also pictured being a perfectly (but minimally) groomed Mommy with clean clothes, a clean house and a smile on my face.  Not.so.much.

I learned real quick what was important to me.  Everything else stopped happening...  until recently.  She and I are now hitting our groove.  She's so awesome.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#11 of 13 Old 01-07-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsGregory View Post

I have what may be one of the most naive questions ever asked here:  how do y'all wash with the baby in the shower?  Is the baby in arms, in a sling (um... soggy), a bumbo?

I also want to say to OP:  I also pictured being a perfectly (but minimally) groomed Mommy with clean clothes, a clean house and a smile on my face.  Not.so.much.

I learned real quick what was important to me.  Everything else stopped happening...  until recently.  She and I are now hitting our groove.  She's so awesome.

I hold DS in arms, but with a washcloth between him and my arm to keep him from being quite so slippery. I have a heck of a time shaving or washing my hair that way, but I can wash everything else with him. It took some practice to get comfortable with it, but then it was great. Showers are very relaxing for him. For a long time, he would need to nurse the moment we stepped out of the shower, and he'd be asleep before we could even make it out of the bathroom. Now that he's bigger he still showers with me, but I have him play in the bathroom with his sister until I get my hair washed and then I grab him and wash us both off.

By the way, I have seen mesh slings intended for the shower which seem like they could be a good option. I don't have any personal experience with them, though.

#12 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 08:27 PM

They are slippery little buggers when they're wet, aren't they?  Nothing more nerve-wracking than holding a wet and freshly washed baby over a tile floor. 

The washcloth is a good idea, thank you!

I've thought about just getting in the tub with her, from time to time, for some skin-to-skin contact and general relaxing soaking.  Haven't done it yet.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#13 of 13 Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM

I always put naked baby in the baby bath tub outside of the shower while I washed myself then when I was done, pick baby up and wash her off the get out. She loved hangin out in the tub, looking around.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Tags
Stay At Home Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page