Probably cabin fever, but feeling reallly bored of SAHMing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's cold and crappy and for various reasons, we hardly ever leave the house or see anyone else!

I get soooooooooo tired of hearing my kids talking.  And I feel bad like I don't always have the nicest tone of voice.  I want space!!!!!!!!  They don't nap.   I used to love being with them all the time, but maybe it's since dd2 was born, it's really hard and full on.    I feel bored.

I think it will be better in summer when we go out to playgrounds and stuff every day.  And I can connect and talk with friends.

Anyone else, so I don't feel like I'm horrible?

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#2 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plarka View Post

It's cold and crappy and for various reasons, we hardly ever leave the house or see anyone else!

I get soooooooooo tired of hearing my kids talking.  And I feel bad like I don't always have the nicest tone of voice.  I want space!!!!!!!!  They don't nap.   I used to love being with them all the time, but maybe it's since dd2 was born, it's really hard and full on.    I feel bored.

I think it will be better in summer when we go out to playgrounds and stuff every day.  And I can connect and talk with friends.

Anyone else, so I don't feel like I'm horrible?

I don't think it's horrible at all but I don't think it's sustainable, either.  Why don't you leave the house?A boring life is going to be boring - SAH or not :)

I feel for you b/c we're trapped at home a lot b/c of my baby napping.  but I can't fathom doing that voluntarily!

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#3 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

We don't leave the house because it's too difficult and not worth it.  It used to be worth the 1.5-2 hours of getting ready, ie fighting with them both to get dressed into daytime clothes (they hate getting dressed), then coats, mittens, hats, socks, shoes, each one go to the bathroom, pack food, get stroller out, get backpack, make lunch or snacks, water bottle.

We don't have a car.  Dh needs it for work.  So we have to walk everywhere.  We live in England, weather's not nice, it's just not pleasant to be outside.  Sometimes we go out in the communal back yard for a walk through the woodsy area, but even that takes forever to get them out and we don't even need to pack food and get all the stuff out.  

Here in England kids go to regular school at 4 years old, so all our friends are in school now, except one, who is on vacation in South Africa for 2 months.  We homeschool, and the homeschool group is boring and huge and impersonal and loud and cold.  And there are only like one or two kids dd1's age, and they all have tons of older siblings so the moms and the little kid aren't interested in friends!  Not worth the fight to get out the door for.    I know, I need to make more of an effort to get to know these homeschool people anyway.........and get invited to their houses!

We used to go out every single day cause it was just horrible staying home, but now it's the opposite!

#4 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Then I think you know what you're challenge is. 

Is the car thing permanent?

Things like them not wanting to get dressed, etc... that's disciplinary IMO and there are ways to handle that.  

If your HS' prospects aren't good then would you consider school for your oldest?  That's no life for her either, being stuck inside all the time.  :hug:

I grew up in ireland so I know the weather scene.  Depressing.  

Sending good thoughts your way.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#5 of 5 Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, my challenge for tomorrow is to get out of the house and go somewhere!

The other thing about getting them out of the house is that dd1 never wants to!  If I say, 'who wants to go to the ______?'  the little one says 'me me me!' and dd1 says, 'I don't waaaaant to.'  They are never bored, they have fun playing all day.  So that's also part of how it's not worth it.  Sometimes I'm sooo bored I want to go out even just to walk out back, and I see them sitting there setting up some scene with their toys and having some imaginary world, or playing with their dolls, or whatever, and I think, 'ok, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'  IBut It's me who's bored out of my mind, and for my sake, I need to get us out!   So, no, dd1 doesn't need to go to school, she has loads of fun at home.  And the staying inside thing will only be a couple more months till it's nice out and we can spend all day outside again. 

My husband's job is classified as 'essential car user' and they give him money each month in his pay to pay for the car.  So, he has to have it all the time.  But I do get it on Fridays, so tomorrow, we'll try and go out.  We do have some good friends whose kid goes to preschool every day except Friday but she is in bad health with kidney disease and can't really do much, but I'll message her right now and see if we can meet them somewhere!

Thanks for listening and for helping!

Tags
Stay At Home Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page