Ever do *nothing* all day? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 02-27-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Besides making sure the kids don't starve and kill each other?

I am really having one of those days.  I had to wash the diapers because otherwise, I would have a child peeing straight onto the floor, I made the bed JUST so I could comfortably sit on it, but other than that, I am pretty happy just hanging out with my computer while the boys sleep. 

Feels so good, just sitting here, drinking my coffee...  tea6.gif

I guess I will get to dinner eventually... 

EVENTUALLY winky.gif

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#2 of 32 Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 PM

pretty much me today.  I did fold a load of laundry to clear off the couch, made bread- which did require some effort :) and made supper- not baked yet- but the oven is hot.  Pretty much a lazy day for me.  Glad I am not the only one having an issue with getting something done today.  Maybe I should make some coffee...  Not feeling too perky.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 32 Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Today was one of those days but I d not feel good about it, just grumpy.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 32 Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Well, sort of... I got the big kids off to school and then snuggled back in with the baby and read a book between nursings until about noon and that was really relaxing. But then I did the dishes, picked up the big kids and my after school care kid, made snacks and supper and washed more dishes. I would have had to do a load of laundry tonight but DH noticed the diaper pail was full when he changed the baby :) so I'm having a cup of tea instead.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#5 of 32 Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM

I had a day like that too. My excuse is that I'm hugely pregnant and this past weekend was great but exhuasting. Today was my recovery day and the one thing I managed as well was to get the diapers in the wash. 

#6 of 32 Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM

I love those days....they are nice to have once in awhile.  When the last Harry Potter book came out, I think I read for 2 days straight and did NOTHING!  My youngest was 5 and I just told them to eat whatever.  DH was out of town at the time.  I needed to know what happened!redface.gif

Mama to 4. winner.jpghomebirth.jpg
#7 of 32 Old 02-28-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Its nice to have a slow day, sometimes. And hey, at least it sounds like diapers have been getting washed thumb.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#8 of 32 Old 02-29-2012, 12:07 AM

I totally have those days. On the rare day I have just the baby and no big kids I tend to do the minimum and watch SVU on netflix. :) 

I remember days where I was at work where I also did nothing but read my book all day. 

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#9 of 32 Old 03-03-2012, 03:36 AM

Do-nothing days are important!

One year, when I was a single mom with young twins, I had a stomach flu on Christmas.  I make a big deal out of the holiday, for my kids, plus my whole family gathers at my house all day (parents, 3 siblings, significant others).  Family and friends (some in from out of town) are in and out, on Boxing Day.  That year, Christmas still managed to be good, but by Boxing Day I was just spent.  My stomach felt fine, but after everything I'd done the day before - when it didn't - I did not feel like doing anything.  So, even though people still stopped by and I welcomed them, I never got out of my PJs.  I ate (and offered people) leftovers from Christmas and food gifts people had given me.  But I didn't warm up anything or wash any dishes.  I washed no laundry, swept no floors and never left the house.  Literally, I just sat around.  It was a positively glorious day!

Since then, I plan not to get out of my PJs on Boxing Day, every year - and sometimes I look forward to Boxing Day almost more than Christmas!

My husband and I were married in this tiny, backwoods village that was purchased in its entirety, a few decades ago.  The old General Store became a restaurant and each of the little, old homes or barns was turned into a cottage you can rent for the night.  There are no TVs, no radios, no wi-fi, no cell phone service and no clocks!  Even though it's only about 1-1/2 hours from our house, we go back every year and stay for a night or two - without our 4 kids - for a do nothing break.  

That kind of thing would be nice to do by yourself, too - even if it were camping, instead of a B&B.

One woman in a house full of men:  my soul mate:  partners.gif  orfencing.gif... twin sons:lurk.giflurk.gif(HS juniors) ... step-son: guitar.gif (a freshman) ... our little man: kid.gif  (a kindergartener) ... and there is another female in the house, after all:  ourdog2.gif. 
#10 of 32 Old 03-03-2012, 06:57 AM

lol, you guys are kidding right?  I read many of these posts and wonder if any of your have toddlers!  I am now TRYING to have a day once a week where I "do nothing" but I always end up doing things like Mummoth said.  On my day off I usually make breakfast, do dishes, change diapers just as much, sometimes wash diapers if needed, discipline just as much, make lunch (our meals are homemade due to food allergies, so no pop it in the microwave...), clean up the kitchen somewhat, naptime routine, then at naptime if I'm not tired I can have some freetime - but this is the same as any other day, make dinner (again from scratch).  I think the real difference is I'm not trying to keep on schedule, I might put in a few videos and/or spend more time with my boys due to not doing ALL of the regular duties.

#11 of 32 Old 03-03-2012, 10:07 AM

I think "do nothing" is subjective. As your life changes, you have kids and kids get older, doing nothing has different meanings. A do nothing day for me now certainly looks different than one pre-kids or even when I only had one child. 

I have a 5.5 year old and a 2 year old. A "do nothing" day is on a weekend, so no school drop off and pick up and no classes or activities for my toddler. My dh's second job takes part of the weekend, but he is around to help more than during the week. A day without stressful errands, maybe a simple trip to the market by myself (which I enjoy) and no vacuuming, sweeping, wiping down the bathroom, super toy pick up, or other cleaning chores. 

I still have to prepare 3 meals and 2 snacks for the kids, change diapers, stay on top of dishes, bath time, clean up big toy messes and do a load of laundry if absolutely necessary (like diapers). I will probably make something simple for the kids for dinner and dh will pick something up for us after they go to bed. Also, dh is home to do bath and bedtime and take the kids to the park in afternoon.  

Yes, I am still doing things, but it is so much less than a typical day. A far cry from the days where I lounged around all day, watching tv and reading and truly accomplishing nothing. 

#12 of 32 Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM

A "do nothing" day is definitely subjective. I have a 5 yo, a 3 yo and a 1 yo.. So, a "do nothing" day for me means I do no housework other than feeding the children/pets and doing dishes. Lately Ive had quite a few of those days since morning sickness is kicking my butt! But even when I feel good I wake up some mornings and feel like paying hooky so instead of doing my housework the kids and I will take off to play outside or build a fort or do whatever. To me it feel like I'm "doing nothing" because I'm not doing anything that feels like work.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#13 of 32 Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

OP here! I have two toddlers. 2.5yrs and 18months and I'm 34 weeks pregnant. When I mean "do nothing," I don't mean watching TV all day by myself. I just meant not going above and beyond to have an awesome, event filled day.  None of the usual arts and crafts, a fast bath instead of the usual long, drawn out one, simple meals, not anything new and difficult, etc, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieb1 View Post

lol, you guys are kidding right?  I read many of these posts and wonder if any of your have toddlers!  I am now TRYING to have a day once a week where I "do nothing" but I always end up doing things like Mummoth said.  On my day off I usually make breakfast, do dishes, change diapers just as much, sometimes wash diapers if needed, discipline just as much, make lunch (our meals are homemade due to food allergies, so no pop it in the microwave...), clean up the kitchen somewhat, naptime routine, then at naptime if I'm not tired I can have some freetime - but this is the same as any other day, make dinner (again from scratch).  I think the real difference is I'm not trying to keep on schedule, I might put in a few videos and/or spend more time with my boys due to not doing ALL of the regular duties.

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#14 of 32 Old 03-06-2012, 05:22 PM

lol, i like that "truly accomplishing nothing"

#15 of 32 Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 PM

We have those days (more often than we should b/c pregnancy is kicking my butt).  The kids can watch more tv than normal so I can zone out for a bit with a book and some coffee and we stay in pjs alllll day.  

obstruct livery vehicles

#16 of 32 Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 PM

I love "do nothing days" and try to make myself do them. I even record them in my journal. innocent.gif

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#17 of 32 Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I am having a day like that today but it isn't that fun- I just feel lazy- ds is napping thank goodness but we had a really dull morning- we didn't do anything and ds and I Were both grumpy and a little cranky. I try to have fun and do activities that inspire both me and ds as often as I can but today I just feel burnt out. We only have one ds but we never have a babysitter- just me and dh passing him back and forth (dh's mom occasionally takes ds for an hour) so I just got burnt out today- feel kind of blah. time to find a babysitter so dh and I can get a little refreshed. But yeah, so far a do nothing day.

#18 of 32 Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 PM

I love do-nothing days! Sadly having one today, but not in a good way. I'm going looney toons today and just don't have the energy/focus/mentality to do much today. greensad.gif I can tell all 3 kids sense it too. DfD is nervous and agitated for the same reason I am, the little girls I think have picked up on the vibe and have been at each other's throats since they got up, which is beyond unusual for them.

I'm going to try to lighten things up and turn the day around. My nephew is going to babysit for a little bit so that I can take DfD out of a nice trail ride and spend some time doing something happy rather than worrying about the meeting with her legal family tomorrow.

#19 of 32 Old 05-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Today's been kinda a do nothing day. I've vegged a lot. But I have to go to the grocery store, so I guess I have to do something. Hmmmph.

#20 of 32 Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 PM

Sometimes I feel like this is every. single. day. It seems like I get up, beg the 3 yo to eat, try to get the 14 mo to not eat the 3yo's breakfast, say "no/don't do that/stop hitting her/stop hitting him/don't ride the cat/stop trying to climb the bookcase/don't ride your sister/don't leapfrog the cat/STOP!STOP!STOP" a jillion times, do the dishes with the kids, watch the same Dinosaur Train episode 3 times in a row, and then my husband gets home. I feel like every day is a do nothing day -- and being in a basement apartment with no yard, no parks within walking distance, and no transportation options compound the feeling. But the kids aren't emaciated, the 3yo is learning new words, and the 14mo can put the star shape in the star hole, so something beneficial is happening, right? 

#21 of 32 Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyNameHere View Post

Sometimes I feel like this is every. single. day. It seems like I get up, beg the 3 yo to eat, try to get the 14 mo to not eat the 3yo's breakfast, say "no/don't do that/stop hitting her/stop hitting him/don't ride the cat/stop trying to climb the bookcase/don't ride your sister/don't leapfrog the cat/STOP!STOP!STOP" a jillion times, do the dishes with the kids, watch the same Dinosaur Train episode 3 times in a row, and then my husband gets home. I feel like every day is a do nothing day -- and being in a basement apartment with no yard, no parks within walking distance, and no transportation options compound the feeling. But the kids aren't emaciated, the 3yo is learning new words, and the 14mo can put the star shape in the star hole, so something beneficial is happening, right? 

Hilarious, and so familiar.  Also, I LOVE your avatar.

#22 of 32 Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 PM

Thanks. That's Henry, our "middle child" (eldest is a 16 yo tabby). We adopted him as an adult cat and he immediately reverted to kittenhood when we brought him home. That was 4 years ago and he still thinks all the human kid stuff is for him.

#23 of 32 Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 AM

I love having those days every now and then but sometimes I feel like every day is like that too! I have a hard time getting things done with kids underfoot. This is why I have a friend I swap babysitting with so I can get a few hours to do some heavy/deep cleaning, so at least the house is fairly clean for at least one day a week..usually I feel better about letting the house go to crap if I know sometime soon it will all be clean again! :) I did a lot yesterday and the house is still completely a disaster..Luckily husband doesn't notice it so I don't feel bad when he gets home and the house is a mess. It would be way beyond my comfort level before he would notice or care. I tend to let the kids watch tv a lot more on days where I'm exhausted and don't want to do anything.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#24 of 32 Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

At least once a week DH comes home from work, asks what we did that day, and I'm like, "I...I have no idea."  Those are the days when I wake up without a plan, and once I realize I need to go to the grocery store, it somehow takes three hours just to eat breakfast and get clothes on both of us, but by then we're too close to nap time, so we do nap, I fall into the black hole of the internet to space out and recharge, and maybe fold a load of laundry, then DS wakes up and I try again to get us out the door, but by the time we're ready it's 5pm and I don't want to get stuck in traffic, plus I need to get dinner started, but we don't have anything to make a proper meal, so I pull some ground beef out of the freezer (AGAIN) and dig around for something to eat along with it, but we have nothing but bananas, and DS is sca-reaming at me because how dare I turn my attention from him for longer than thirty seconds, I text DH to find out exactly when he's going to be home because I need to know how far my patience will need to stretch, then he finally gets home and I DARE him to say one negative word about our ground beef and banana dinner, or the wrecked state of the house, or the fact that I haven't showered, or the fact that I don't know for sure whether that's poop or chocolate on DS's face, but fortunately he knows better and takes DS to the park after dinner.  

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#25 of 32 Old 08-21-2012, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

No. Never. Never done nothing. There's always something. :(

If I've done nothing wrong, and my attitude is well-meaning, a difficult situation is just a test for my ability to remain beyond the judgement of others ~ Unknown
#26 of 32 Old 08-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

cherrybombmama

,good for you on relaxing. you are 34 weeks pregnant? how exciting!!!!!!! it may be a while for a *do nothing* dayLOL. 

today i wanted to relax but i just am always going. this is my first time online today and that's okay. i aspire to relax a bit more..oh wait..we'll have frozen pizzas for dinner tomorrow.....yay!!!

tre

#27 of 32 Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 AM

I plan to do nothing today. love.gif A gift to me.

#28 of 32 Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM

I usually attempt to have one day a week that has a lighter demand of my time and energy. Occasionally after a really hectic couple of weeks my toddler and I will just have a lazy day and watch Elmo, read books, and lay around in our PJs.

Free hugs! hug2.gif

#29 of 32 Old 09-01-2012, 07:20 PM

I do have a day like that about every 10 days or so (give or take). I'm trying to do it once a week on a weekend when DH can help out but with an 8 month old, it just isn't the same! 

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#30 of 32 Old 09-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBombMama View Post

Besides making sure the kids don't starve and kill each other?

I am really having one of those days.  I had to wash the diapers because otherwise, I would have a child peeing straight onto the floor, I made the bed JUST so I could comfortably sit on it, but other than that, I am pretty happy just hanging out with my computer while the boys sleep. 

Feels so good, just sitting here, drinking my coffee...  tea6.gif

I guess I will get to dinner eventually... 

EVENTUALLY winky.gif

There are days when as long as everybody is alive at the end of the day I call it a win. In the sense that i've managed to keep the toddler from killing himself vis a vis major head trauma from taking headers off the couch. (He thinks its hilarious when I panic.... ) 

http://magadociousrex.blogspot.com/  
We're a co-sleeping, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering , baby and toddler wearing family!

Roland 04/2010 30 hour labor. Vaginal but not natural birth. 

Zeisel 08/2012 15 hour labor, completely natural hospital water birth. 

goorganic.jpgtranstichel.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gifslingtwin.gifwaterbirth.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifplacenta.gif

Tags
Stay At Home Parents

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page