Making Time to Relax - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-03-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a bit different than the do nothing thread.  I still have a yearning to have a relaxed Saturday morning, afternoon or Sunday but being at home it appears that there is just NEVER a down time.  I only have 2 kids, so I can't imagine more... both of mine are under 5 so they still can't do hardly anything for themselves.  On top of that, my oldest has food allergies, so we are trying to heal him through the GAPS diet and I homemake every meal.  So between those things and having a tendency to overwork myself anyway, I don't know when to have down time.  I really desire this with my husband too - separately and as a family.  Usually we tag-team household duties and kids so we almost never spend time ALL together.

Ideas?  We have said we'd do a semi-traditional kids Saturday morning vegging in front of the tv.  But sometimes it just doesn't work (mostly me being pulled away to finish the wash or do something to be prepped for the next meal or snacks, all of this being necessary otherwise we won't have eats or clothes to wear the next day at church).

We do the family Saturday morning once a month due to other obligations.  And we try to have a date night (usually a game or video) every Friday, although that doesn't happen all the time either.

Do you do something to relax together?

#2 of 5 Old 03-04-2012, 06:54 PM

I have 3 (soon to be 4) ages 5 and under. Heres a bit of what I do:

We do quiet time, 30 minutes 1X per day. I need it to be able to function the rest of the day.

Sundays are our relax days. We go to church then the rest of the day we relax as a family. Other than simple meals and dishes we don't do house work or anything else that you might consider work. We play games together, spend some time outside, maybe work on a project together as a family. DH or I will take one of the children out alone for a walk to special activity (we rotate each week so the children get time with both of us). Sometimes we will watch a movie together, we call family etc. Basically we spend the day forcusing on the family. We spend so much time apart from each other its nice to be able to reconnect like that.

As for a personal relax time, my husband tries to take the children at least 1 time per week for 1-2 hours so I get some time alone. The only stipulation is I can't work on house work. I "have to" do something relaxing like sewing or reading a book... This last week I took a bubble bath and read something totally adult related (it was a medieval history novel, a good book actually).

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#3 of 5 Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  This actually gives me some ideas of what to do with myself.  I think what's hard for me is that I don't always rest when I have those times alone.

#4 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 PM

I stay up after they're asleep.  Even if I'm bone crushing tired.  Like right now.  DH went to sleep an hour ago and I wanted to as well, but I need my "me" time.  Days start at 4 AM here so getting up any earlier is not an option.  I'm actually going to head to take a relaxing bath now and then fall into bed...

I'm with you though on being on duty 24/7.  My son is high-needs, has been super-high-needs since birth.  (He's turning 5 this month.)  DD is not QUITE as needy normally but she's been clingy lately.  After I put them to bed I have to tend to DH for a while, so I do kid stuff from 4-6, then DH for 6-8, and then it's me time.  If the routine gets messed up, like if the kids are sick or something or just not falling asleep, or if we have an ER visit and are off our schedule or something... I get super cranky.  I need private time to just do mindless stuff.  Play Skyrim.  Read a trashy novel.  Watch Netflix.  Stare into space with a cup of tea in hand.  Whatever...

#5 of 5 Old 03-09-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

their site looks cool but Skyrim seems way too dark.  but yea, I used to stay up after everyone else...no later than 11 or 11:30pm but I still can't do that anymore.  It lessens my sleeptime which does cause a low immune system.  I can't afford to get sick, have headaches, be in a down mood or be fatigued during the day.  Those are the things that are my usual modes when I don't get enough sleep for a few days.

Tags
Stay At Home Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page