Ideas for a day with a 1 yo and a 3 yo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So sometimes I wonder if I am ignoring my kids.  We are on GAPS (a pretty strict diet that is supposed to solve my oldest's problems with eczema and allergies) and that takes a lot of time with cooking/prep.  Then the regular overwhelming duties of keeping the house clean, bills, extended family, etc.  I do spend time with them and discipline them and talk to them throughout the day.  I also take them to storytime, etc. for fun.  But I still feel like I don't do stuff with them.  I honestly don't know what to do!  When it was just the firstborn and before this diet, I spent loads of time building things, playing in water, drawing and writing letters.  But now with #2, he still doesn't want to do most of the things I enjoy and can do with the 3 yo. 

Any ideas of how to spend more quality time?  How do I engage my 1 yo without  losing my 3 yo, or engage my 3 yo without ignoring the younger (something I've felt I've done more of since his birth)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 PM

I am sorry that I do not have the answer to this, but I am expecting my second child in August and I am most definitely interested in hearing some examples and advice from mothers or fathers who have some good solutions here!!! redface.gif

I have a 2-year-old son and expecting a girl August 9th!!!  sleepytime.gif  stillheart.gif

#3 of 14 Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

When my 1yo and 3 yo aren't fighting they are usually playing together, and entertain each other pretty nicely.  I do find it a bit hard to do certain crafty/education things with my 3 yo that are out of my ds' grasps, but typically we can do something thats friendly for both (ie, puzzles...infant ones for ds, a little harder ones for dd, color wonder for ds, crayons for dd, etc.)  I have also noticed that ds is pretty quickly catching up with dd, but he has the type of personality that does NOT like to be left behind for anything.  

For me, the key is to work with both of them on their individual interests (admittedly, at this point thats easier with the 3 yo) and just allowing them a lot of independant play. 

#4 of 14 Old 04-13-2012, 03:07 PM

I have three children: ages 5, 3 and 14 months. Im also expecting, due in October! I have a little list of things I like to do with mine. Some of the things that are on the list:

Art- any and every form.. Finger painting is popular with all three. My older two like to paint with brushes. All of them will draw/color. Even my 14 month old will "color" in a coloring book with his sisters. I also do the paint with water books for all of them when my youngest wants to have a paint brush like his big sisters.. We do some sticker art, this really requires my active guidance for my youngest but all three enjoy it!

Rice and cups or for the baby macaroni and cups.. I dye the rice/macaroni different colors and let them have fun mixing it all up.

cooking/baking is a LOT of fun, even the baby enjoys dumping measuring cups of different things in bowls

bubbles

anything outside, especially if it has to do with water orngbiggrin.gif

Nature walks and trips to the park

lots of story time and we act out stories. Nothing gets them giggling more than when I start doing lion roars and giraffe munches (what sound do giraffes make?? Really, I have NO clue)

Answering any questions they come up with! Google and YouTube are our best friends love.gif

playdoh and cookie cutters

playing in shaving cream or whipped cream if you worry about them getting sick from the shaving cream

flashlights in a dark room- can even make this into a seek and find game

board games! I start playing games with them starting at 18 months! My oldest learned her colors playing Candyland innocent.gif

Let them help you clean up around the house. Mine all love playing laundry "basketball" and 20 item pick up, seeing who can get it done the fastest

Relays or "races" which even my 14 month old enjoys.. Today we did a hug relay (baby hugged big sister, big sister hugged middle sister and middle sister hugged me then I hugged the baby.. we rotated around.. Good way to spread some love)

Plant a garden!

Help washing the car is a popular one as well

Find the hidden animal (hide an animal and give them clues to where it is. My 14 month old just walks around until he finds it.. Sometimes his sisters show him where it is so he can bring it back to me)

Tackle Daddy is popular when DH gets home whistling.gif

This is a great blog! http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/ I love a lot of her ideas.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#5 of 14 Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 PM

Wow, Okimom, can I come play at your house?? LOL! Seriously, you sound like a great mom. Lots of great ideas. Thanks!!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#6 of 14 Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

(what sound do giraffes make?? Really, I have NO clue)

Giraffes don't generally make any sound because their larynx aren't very well developed.

It's complicated.
#7 of 14 Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelina View Post

Wow, Okimom, can I come play at your house?? LOL! Seriously, you sound like a great mom. Lots of great ideas. Thanks!!

Come on over! haha Thanks.! Most of my friends HATE having their kids at my house because they are likely to climb trees and get totally messy then ask why they can't do it at their house.. Ooops..

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#8 of 14 Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning_Mum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

(what sound do giraffes make?? Really, I have NO clue)

Giraffes don't generally make any sound because their larynx aren't very well developed.

Thanks! Ive been saying they go "munch munch" like they are eating since I figured Ive never heard them make any sounds any time Ive seen them..

#9 of 14 Old 04-19-2012, 07:33 PM

I don't have any solutions but I wanted to say that you are not alone.  I felt like I wasn't Mom first when my daughter was on the GAPS diet as well.  It just takes so much time!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#10 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

how long have you been on your journey?  have you see healing?  we're doing it for my son's eczema.  usually they seem fine playing alone, and I try to keep them near me/helping in the kitchen.

#11 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM

Get outside! Let the little one get dirty while the older one moves rocks, jumps, bounces...listen to the birds sing, pick flowers, etc. I'm a huge fan of spending as much time as possible outdoor with my children, and I really wish I would have discovered Waldorf Ed when my first was a baby. The focus on those early yearsis all about being outdoors and playing, discovering, making mud lies, digging for buried "treasure", climbing and balancing.
#12 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 11:20 AM

Oh, also wanted to add that we are on the GAPS diet as well and another thing I've learned from Waldorf Ed is that just including your children and havi them near you while you go about your work for the home and family is so beneficial and important. So, wear the little one in the sling while you cook, let the 3yr old grind food in the mill, have him help you put the wet clothes from the wash into the dryer (or better yet, let him help you hang clothes to dry on a line). Give me both step stools and wash tubs with soap and sponges and let them wash their dishes from breakfast, lunch.

My oldest loved to vacuum at that age (3) and sweep. He now loves to watch me sew at the machine and knits alongside me (my boys are 8 and 5).
#13 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for your input.  I do try to incorporate them in what we do and we love walks and being outside for the health reasons (but some for natural learning/development too).  I looked up the Waldorf edu and honestly it sounds a bit weird, like just mimicking being at home!  but I do wonder about it since it claims to address the whole person, and yet nothing about the spiritual/religious part.  At any rate, I'm sure there are a ton of things involved in that that I didn't read about and many helpful things that get us away from the rush and busy lifestyle that most american lives are now.

#14 of 14 Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 PM

I don't think this one was mentioned, but what about bath time?  It's starting to get nicer out, but in the winter, we do a LOT of bath time as playtime.  My children are 22 months apart and they both love bath time.  I don't wash them every time.

Mama to three

Tags
Stay At Home Parents

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page