Household tip swap - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm a stay at home mom to a 7yo, 5yo, 2yo, a 5mo. and my house is super clean! It can be done :) Cleaning the bathroom during bathtime is one of my favorite household tips!

My morning routine that takes about 15min - Throw a load of laundry in the wash, make beds, vacuum.

During the day, clean as you play! Teach your children to put toys/projects away before they move on to something else.

Afternoon-Wash bf/lunch dishes during nap, sweep and/or mop. Dry laundry, fold, put up.

Evening-I wash dishes while my two older children do 15min pick up. I assign each of them three areas (bathroom, dining room, bedroom) and (living room, playroom, hallway). They know to return anything out of place back to it's home. It usually doesn't even take them the whole 15min. I vacuum again if I get the chance to but sometimes that doesn't happen :)

I dust on Tues, Thurs and either Sat/Sun

Kitchen gets cleaned after kiddos go to bed.

I love waking up to a clean home!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 09-12-2012, 12:22 PM

I M a SAHM to 6 kids , between 15 years and 10 months ! Plus a few pets as well , so keeping things spotless is a bit of a challenge .

But I found , that if I keep up with a few things , it does make a big difference !

I sweep the floor every single day , no matter what , the kids take turns emptying the dishwasher and even though I still do it a lot , even that one or times , they do it , helps a lot , plus I always make sure , that I put away EVERY single load of laundry immediately , once it´s dry . It is a bit of a hassle sometimes , but I feel like I am punishing myself , if I don´t and then stuff piles up like crazy and it takes me a whole day ( or so it seems ) to catch up

I also have a big white board , one of those you can write on with wash-off pens ( I don´t know , what they are called , but I am sure everybody knows what I am talking about orngbiggrin.gif ) in the kitchen on the wall , that I have drawn a line on to divide into 2 half sides .

On one side I write down what I am out of every time , I notice something is empty , be it laundry detergent , salt , whatever , so I always know , what we have to buy at the store and on the other side , I write down , what we are having for dinner that week , so the older kids can look for themselves and don´t ask me a gazillion times over and over again

I have another one by the front door , plus a kork one to pin papers on , where we write down suff the kids and I have to remeber , appointments , school projects and that sort of thing !

Not very stylish , but it has really helped me keep track ! And there are no more excuses for the kids , like " I didn´t know , I had to do this "

Eh , well , you can read , right ?

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#33 of 48 Old 09-20-2012, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

emerald22, you're my hero!! smile.gif  

#34 of 48 Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 PM

You ladies are my personal gurus. Awesome advice!

#35 of 48 Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 AM

We use trays for everything (painting, bead projects, playdoh, playing with magnet toys, etc.) It makes clean up so much easier-just take the tray to the sink and wipe it off. It also contains the messes of these activities. Seriously, one the the best ideas I've had. The kids just know to go get a tray now. They also know where to put it away.

#36 of 48 Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM

I keep a box in the closet.  When I come across an outgrown toy or outfit or knick knack that I'm tired of, it goes in the box.  When the box is full it goes in the trunk of my car.  When I go into town I drop it off at a charity thrift shop where they're sold to raise money for a cause I believe in.  This benefits me two ways.  I get a tidier house and I get to practice feeling grateful to be able to share.

When a child turns 10 at my house they are ceremoniously taught how to work the washer and dryer and introduced to the wonderful concept of Full Responsibility For Your Own Laundry.  This is accompanied by a congratulatory speech about Maturity and Responsibility.  They're excited because they've been wanting to learn how to do it, and now their wish has come true.  I am even more excited.  For some reason they're not as thrilled with it after they find out what a drag it is to fold up/hang up all their clothes, even the ones they threw in the hamper just to avoid hanging them up in the first place.  But it sure makes Mom happy to have less laundry every week.

#37 of 48 Old 01-16-2013, 05:45 PM

Wow these are great! Subbing!

#38 of 48 Old 01-19-2013, 06:18 PM

Games or toys with many parts are played with on an old sheet or table cloth. Depending on the size needed.

When they are done it can easily be dumped into its storage containers.

Children will dump if they can not see inside. We store big things on shelves. Small toys in clear covered containers.

If they make a mess or spill they need to clean it up.

#39 of 48 Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM

These are brilliant! I want more!!

bump:bump:bump

#40 of 48 Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Did you know you can use bar soap or a shampoo you don't like to wash tubs and sinks? It works better than other cleaning products in my opinion. I keep one of those plastic mesh sponges (that seem to come in every gift basket and never get used) to clean when I am in the shower, or after the kids get out of the tub. It is so easy and fast. My tub and sinks have never been so clean.

This month on Flylady is declutter month. Every day do 15 minutes of declutttering. I love that. Someone else in another thread on the forum also suggested not trying to micromanage your give aways. Box them up and get them out (no splitting a book for this person, clothes here, etc because it feels too hard and you avoid it.

#41 of 48 Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMonkey View Post

Did you know you can use bar soap or a shampoo you don't like to wash tubs and sinks? It works better than other cleaning products in my opinion. I keep one of those plastic mesh sponges (that seem to come in every gift basket and never get used) to clean when I am in the shower, or after the kids get out of the tub. It is so easy and fast. My tub and sinks have never been so clean.

This month on Flylady is declutter month. Every day do 15 minutes of declutttering. I love that. Someone else in another thread on the forum also suggested not trying to micromanage your give aways. Box them up and get them out (no splitting a book for this person, clothes here, etc because it feels too hard and you avoid it.

SO TRUE!!!!

#42 of 48 Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 PM

I've got 5 kids with my oldest being 7 and are expecting again. My house isn't spotless, but I do try to keep it tidy.

I do a load or 2 of laundry every day. Some days end up with 4 or 5. The kids bring all their dirty clothes to the laundry room every night. They also put their own clothes away.

All the kids know to bring all dirty dishes to the sink except the prewalker. smile.gif

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#43 of 48 Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 PM

I also have a box in my room for goodwill.

We have clean up time before bed at night. I don't want to trip on toys in the middle of the night and they clean them since they played with them. 18 months is when I started that. By 2 they do pretty good.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#44 of 48 Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM

I love the mopping to bed idea. Inspired I swept on my way to bed last night!

How about having a defined time each day where all dishes are done? I can't stand cooking when there are two days of dishes waiting.
#45 of 48 Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM

How about rinsing dishes right away if there is not time to wash them.

I have been having great success lately just trying to do little things often. If I was washing dishes I will wipe down the backsplash, or the front of the oven. Before those things only got done on rare deep cleans when things got really dirty.
*bejeweled* likes this.
#46 of 48 Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM

Own less stuff! Not only is cleaning up so much easier but my kids are less overwhelmed, I am not so stressed. Our home is much more peaceful owning only what we need.
Washing dishes right after meals and picking up things as you walk by them!
#47 of 48 Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM

love this thread! thanks so much OP!

We are also fans of cleaning the kitchen immediately after the boys go down.

Making beds and opening shades/blinds as soon as you wake up ... nothing looks cleaner than a made bed!

But regardless of how much cleaning I do, there is always another chore to be done & I never think that the house is clean enough :) so i tend to let the chores slide and spend time with the kids and my husband. There will always be something to clean and I can't stand how fast my kids are growing up! I WILL however be taking a lot of these 'tips' into consideration ~ Cleaning the bathroom while the kids are in the bath. brilliant. and so "duh"!

married to my love, Keith (5.22.08)

mother to Declan (4.25.10) and Cullen (12.21.11)

Baby Boy #3 due January 8, 2014

#48 of 48 Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM

Let the kids make giant forts with the sofa cushions while you empty out all the weird things that get stuck in everyone's sofas, and vacuum them out.

Tags
Stay At Home Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page