How do you reset the day? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What do you do to turn things around when you or your kids are having a bad day and have reached the end of your rope?

My husband works long hours so I don't have much help and sometimes I'm just really drained, you know? So far I've found that taking a nap with my baby, or while he watches a movie in the swing if I'm really desperate, can be a huge turn around for me. A nap is not always an option though. What have you found to be helpful?

#2 of 8 Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM

lurk.gif Great question. I need to reset my night tonight. irked.gif
Often I'll go for a walk. That helps. When DD was young, I'd sometimes take a bath with her. That helped us both.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#3 of 8 Old 08-02-2012, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

- Sometimes a stack of books does the trick because it keeps my daughter quiet for a while.  Today it was something along the lines of "Mommy's words aren't very nice right now.  Let's find some nice words in your books."  It definitely helped. 

- Make myself a cup of tea and pour my daughter a bath.  She plays more independently there than anywhere else. 

- Pop her in the car and go somewhere.  This is probably my go-to life saver.  Sometimes we just drive for a while.  Sometimes I take her to the nature center, or a hiking trail.  Sometimes the mall.  Anywhere that will entertain her without her needing to interact very much with me.

- If all things fail, there's Netflix

#4 of 8 Old 08-03-2012, 03:19 PM

Usually I feel better out than in so grab some snacks and go ffor a picnic (I keep most things I need in my van always- double stroller, diaper bag, picnic blanket etc).
Sometimes we call up a friend and arrange a playdate/visit
Make up some treats (healthy. smile.gif and watch a movie

Usually though when I'm having a not so great day I call up one of my mom friends and we get the clans together for a coffee and playdate. Cheers everyone up!

SAHM to one moody son J hat.gif(06-27-03), one super-girly daughter M hearts.gif (02-23-06) and welcome Sophie! energy.gif(05-23-10) expecting fourth in July baby.gif

#5 of 8 Old 08-04-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

"Mommy's words aren't very nice right now.  Let's find some nice words in your books." 

I am stashing this away for 3 years from now. Love it.

Proud Marine Corps wife tiptoeing into SAH parenting. Living happily ever after with my Beast, baby Ginny (3/1/13), two dogs, and two ratties.

#6 of 8 Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 PM

most of the time when we are all having a rough day. its either A. because mommy didnt get enough sleep, B. one or both of the kids didn't get enough sleep or C. one or both of the kids need some attention. If sleep is an issue, there's not a whole lot we can all do about it until mid day where we can usually all lay down for a nap or rest time and that resets us all. If I want to do nothing but lay around all morning on pinterest or something and just want to be left alone with my coffee and my own thoughts for a bit, I'll turn on 1 recorded show, or I'll pull out a huge blanket/tablecloth and lay it on the floor.. I'll lay out beans, rice, pom poms, glue, salt, etc. and let the kids create masterpieces.. This lasts for about 30 minutes..and they're usually quiet. I have my sister to thank for this awesome idea. I've been known to pull out my ipod as well. If it's attention they need and I want nothing more than to just go lay down or something, I've found that it's easier to go ahead and give them some undivided attention for 20-30 minutes or so. They're much happier and are more willing to go find something to do..and my 3 year old is more willing to be helpful when I need his help with chores and things. Sometimes I'll sit on the couch and just throw pillows and blankets at my son..he loves that, or we'll play simon says. I get to sit, and bark orders and it's a fun game for him! my daughter is only 15 months, so she just thinks everything is exciting at this age lol. In the afternoon after naps, we're all much happier, so we'll turn on some music and bust out singing really loudly or have a little dance party. Or make a fort with pillows and blankets and chairs, or play dress up or make believe, or do a puppet show. Or, during a meal, I'll simply ask my son a bunch of questions, you know talk his ear off. He gets a kick out of that, since he's usually the one doing all of the question asking. My son will also cook with me..he likes using a plastic knife to slice cucumbers and lettuce or measure and pour ingredients..if the day needs a reset, suggest baking cookies or muffins or something and enlist your kids to help out. I didn't notice how old they are... 

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A bath or shower for everyone can really help here. Mostly though I get us all into the car & go ... somewhere, anywhere. I actually hate that but it is the only thing I find reliably changes the tone of our day. I should try a walk.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#8 of 8 Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 PM

If its really early (my kids get up at 6am and there are days that by 630 Ive HAD it) Ive been known to have everyone climb into my bed and spend some time cuddling. If its more midday we do quiet time around noon. It helps calm everyone down! Mid afternoon we do something fun in the backyard. The thing Ive found is that usually its either a) Im tired and busy which means Im not "there" for the kids, b) the kids didn't sleep well/get enough sleep (no matter when they go to bed/how they sleep they are up by 6) or c) Im being unreasonable with my expectations of what needs to/can get done in any given day. For us I need to break out of the routine and relax then I can take up the daily to dos again.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page