Fair hourly rate for experienced regular babysitter/part-time nanny in SF Bay Area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an 11 month old and I'm considering hiring a part-time nanny/babysitter to watch him about 4 hours per week while I do some part time work. 

She charges $12 per hour, but the market/going rate for nannies in the SF Bay Area is more like $18-$20.  Is it appropriate to tell this lady that I think she is undercharging, and offer to pay her more?  And if so, how much more?  It's only a few hours a week so I want it to be worth her time.  I'm on a budget but I really value childcare work and I don't want to underpay her.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I've had a sitter previously that I didn't feel charged enough. And granted, I did want to pay her a little more so that she might be more inclined to sit for me over her other families when I needed her... I never said anything but when I paid her, I would always pay her "extra" so that it would be more in line with what someone of her skill set should charge in my area. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 PM

Follow her charge, but give the Extra when you have the budget. Or you can simply pay her $18/hour.joy.gif

Living is great but being a MOM is even better

Old 08-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Has she ever watched your baby before? If not I would pay her the minimum requirements $18/hour to begin with and then give her a raise so to speak if you feel comfortable with her as nanny/sitter at some point.

Free hugs! hug2.gif

User Tag List