needing advice on how to start a yoga moms playgroup - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I'm wanting to ask oothers about ideas for starting a yoga moms playgroup but I'm not sure where to post. Help please eyesroll.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

It would depend on what age group of children you're wanting it for. I'd suggest Toddlers or The Childhood Years forums.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm wondering if I could get my post moved to a different forum like stay at home moms or deleted so I can repost. It seems that the toddler forum is mostly concerned with problems and issues than anything else. My post has pretty much gone unnoticed next to toddler insomnia (I'm not implying that it isn't more important). The view count is from myself going back and forth on the forum. Lol.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Moving to Stay at Home Moms forum. :)

Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Oops...I meant could I get my post in the toddler forum moved to stay at home moms, not this post that was originally posted in the technical advice forum.

All well smile.gif I have copied my original post from the toddler forum, here it is!

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if I could get some ideas and advice about starting a playgroup for moms who like me practice yogic postures, meditate and chant. Im not sure where to start...

My idea is to get together and have an informal yoga session while the kids run around or join in as they please. Do you think something like that would work? It would be a very flexible class where expectations aren't to have a quiet peaceful session but if it happens great! Kids ages wouldnt be too important but they should be at the crawling stage at least is what I'm thinking???

Yoga games, songs and activity ideas would be fun to incorporate to get the kids more involved without turning it into a session completely focused on the kids, so any suggestions would be wonderful because I have no clue where to start on that.

I would like to make the group meets more about learning for the moms so that we have tools to use at home to help us in those times when we feel we are losing our center.

Anyways just some ideas I have had. Not sure where to start so I'm hoping someone can help by pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm. Not much of a response here either...

Arent there any moms out there who practic yoga in this forum?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 AM

I enjoy yoga but I feel like trying to do that with kids running around would make me a little crazy.  For me, yoga is about being peaceful.  Maybe people that do yoga daily would be more at ease about it though, I'm uptight sometimes.  :)

Is there a local healthfood store or yoga studio you could post a flyer at maybe?

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think it could be a lot of fun, but also a challenge to organize. I've tried doing yoga with my son and he just runs all over the place. We got a "mom and me yoga kit" and it's cute with two sized mats with animals and shapes on it. The DVD says "put your right hand on the elephant" for example. It's really cute and I'm sure it works with some kids, but mine is not there yet.

I'd say try to have it somewhere enclosed so that the parents can actually do yoga even if the kid doesn't want to. Can't relax and stretch if you're worried about your kiddo running off into traffic. And then have a small selection of toys and books to entertain them nearby, for the ones who don't want to do the yoga. But make sure the toys are quiet toys. Give stickers at the end of the session. Keep the kids moves simple and short duration. Have chances to "get the wiggles out" before yoga - a dance session or run around the room. ... just some ideas.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A mom near me has started a yoga with kids group. I heard about it through our local Holistic Moms Network since she is also a member. She has had 3 or 4 sessions and I have attended one. I did find it less restful than going to a yoga class at my gym with my kids in the kids' room but on the upside, it was lovely to be outside, my kids got some fresh air and exposure to nature, and the mamas hung around a bit afterward to chat so there was a social element. The session was focused on the moms doing yoga poses and just letting the kids hang out and mostly entertain themselves.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Old 10-07-2012, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Being peaceful in the midst of chaos is yoga smile.gif I
Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Old 10-07-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonrose View Post

A mom near me has started a yoga with kids group. I heard about it through our local Holistic Moms Network since she is also a member. She has had 3 or 4 sessions and I have attended one. I did find it less restful than going to a yoga class at my gym with my kids in the kids' room but on the upside, it was lovely to be outside, my kids got some fresh air and exposure to nature, and the mamas hung around a bit afterward to chat so there was a social element. The session was focused on the moms doing yoga poses and just letting the kids hang out and mostly entertain themselves.

Great fantastic to hear that's just the type of class I would like to do. I just wanted some reassurance that others are holding classses like that successfully.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 PM

What a cool idea!  I have been searching and searching for the right class for my 3.5 year old daughter and I and I never thought of just creating something myself!  If there is a Holistic Moms Network in your area you may want to see if you can try and gather troops there.  I would also really like something where my daughter and I can do yoga together.  She loves the idea of it and we used to go to a great class but it is now hard to find a good class for kids her age where Mommies are welcome and vice versa a good class for me where kids are welcome.  I would love to do something where we do it with the kids for a while (may need for kids to be closer to the same age though?) and then do some stuff for Mommies while the kids play.

Thanks for your post.  Also, you could check out a MOMS International local chapter to find some other Stay at Home Moms who would have a space in their schedule during the week for this...

Tags
Mothering Help
User Tag List