Are you happy as a Stay At Home Parent? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: For the most part are you happy or unhappy being a stay at home parent?
I am mostly happy 131 74.43%
I am back and forth and in the middle ground somewhere. 36 20.45%
I am mostly unhappy 9 5.11%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I LOVE it! That doesn't mean I don't have crazy, frustrating, just-at-my-wit's-end kind of days with my kiddos though. Of course I do, but I am realistic and KNOW that if I worked outside our home I would many crazy, frustrating days then too. I wouldn't change my "job" for anything right now. Someday I'll go back to earning a paycheck but hope to still be home part-time. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM

I enjoy being a stay at home parent. I feel grateful to be able to stay home.  I don't think I have the desire nd strength to work and also do the mommy duties.

#33 of 41 Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 PM

I'm thankful to stay home and homeschool all four of my kids I have been a SAHM since my oldest was born.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#34 of 41 Old 08-11-2013, 10:37 PM

I voted mostly happy as I have a very supportive partner, family, and community (I live on an island full of interesting and helpful SAHMs!) If the wide culture valued what stay at home parents do for the next generation I think we would all be happier, but there is still this undercurrent of not really contributing because we don't make money. I would also be happier about it if I had some kind of retirement plan... I found employed work to be draining and boring and hard and though life as a SAHM is sometimes like that too, the love of my baby girl and helping her become the best little person she can is so much more rewarding than anything a job could provide. It's all about outlook.

#35 of 41 Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 AM

i voted unhappy I am a student parent now but still stay home. i voted unhappy because I want to work but could not find a job that paid enough money to justify working right now. Even when I was married and a sahm a lot of it was not very happy and I felt like i sacrificied myself for the family. I am not even sure the kids are any better because i sahm. But I don't regret it and I am glad I have been able to sahm, but if i had another child down the road with a new partner i am not sure i could sahm again. However  i am choosing teaching in part because of the time off in the summers to still be with the kids more than a year round job. 

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#36 of 41 Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 PM

very happy being who i am!!

#37 of 41 Old 08-24-2013, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Happy about being with the kids. I feel fortunate especially as a single mom. I feel fortunate to not need to keep up with the joneses. Or to not need to prove myself with my work and career. I feel fortunate to have great sah models, my mom and friend's moms.
#38 of 41 Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I love it.

#39 of 41 Old 08-27-2013, 04:28 AM

I have been a SAHM for 6 years.  I am mostly happy.  I have been reading in another forum that has a lot of members very vocal about how SAHMing is a terrible choice that is ruining my life and future.  It did make me feel bad and unhappy.  But it brought out some points to consider, so that was the silver lining.  I've stopped reading there because it really brings me down. 

When I first started to SAH, I thought I would never work again and be happy to live blissfully taking care of my kids and household forever.  I didn't give any thought to the reality of the future.  So now I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and I see them getting older and I know I won't be doing the SAH thing forever.  I am taking some online college classes and preparing myself for re-entering the workforce sometime in the future.  It gives me a little bit of security and makes me feel better about myself.

Yep, I don't have a career.  Yep, I have a huge gap in my resume of office receptionist/waitressing jobs.  It is what it is.   Also, I never really wanted a career until now.  I guess if I had, I wouldn't have dropped out of University and moved to Costa Rica and lived on the beach and partied for 5 years.  But that phase of my life is long over now, and I am sure the SAHM thing will be over at some point also. 

caffix.gif

#40 of 41 Old 08-27-2013, 06:24 PM

I haven't always enjoyed it at all. I've recently learned that our 4 1/2 year old son is ADHD and that has been the source of my frustration and stress the whole time. Yes he had signs from infancy! Daddy is ADHD so he didn't stand a chance. I love my little boy but he was challenging me daily and causing me to drink more and stress to the max daily! I felt so out of control and stressed if often get us out of the house to try and get a break but it didn't even help that much. We have started him on a daily regimen of essential oils and he is a different child!! It's amazing. I am so much less stressed and enjoying being home all day with him and our 2 year old. I've even started watching a child out of our house to make a little extra money and its actually been fun! I feel like my life is beginning again. smile.gif
AnaB likes this.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#41 of 41 Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

What essential oils are you using?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page