How do I start a good playgroup? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We just moved into a huge new condo complex, in a new city. Lots of other people are new here too and just moving in. We have a playground and a pool and rec room etc. and I see all these sahms wandering around with their little ones at various times of the day. I'd like to start a playgroup but I've never really organized ANYTHING like this before. 

So I need something like Starting a Playgroup for Dummies right now.

My ideas- make a group page on Facebook (I'm not even on facebook myself so this would be new to me too) and then put signs up around. Then once people joined on fb, organize a time and place to meet regularly.

Honestly, I wish someone else would organize it - maybe I can recruit someone to help me?

Anyway- if anyone has started a playgroup (or is in a really great one) with ANY ideas on how I could get this going and have it be successful I'd love to hear them!!!

Thanks!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've never officially started a play group, but I did belong to a fun group for about year. With school, moves, and a few life changes our group is no longer what it used to be but that's okay.

We got started when one of the moms planned an activity and invited two of us along. We had an outdoor story-time. The starter mom brought a few themed stories and a related snack. We met at the park and sat on a blanket. Afterwards the kiddos played and the moms talked. Then one of us piped up and offered to plan an activity the next week. We ended up inviting others who we thought would like to participate.  We did nature scavenger hunts, a bubble day, easy crafts. We eventually started taking field trips to local attractions. Some weeks we just hung out to play and do nothing. It worked out nicely. Our group was small (6 moms) so we mostly communicated via email, nothing formal.

My suggestion would be to think of something fun to do and just invite others to join you. Maybe do a story time and put up signs inviting others to join you. As your group develops you can start a FB page or meet-up group.

I would suggest not asking others what works best. You will get 100 different answers and will be totally stuck trying to figure out how to satisfy everyone. Just pick a day and time. As your group grows and develops you can change the time if you have to. Or maybe your group will split into morning activity one day and an afternoon activity another day.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Your situation sounds ideal for a playgroup.  Maybe before going the FB route, you should just post a flyer somewhere asking other moms to come to a meeting with you to help start a playgroup.  See what response you get, and maybe that "supermom" (by the way my username is sarcastic as I don't feel like a supermom) will show up and take control in helping you organize it.  Good luck, and let us know how it goes!  I need to find or start a playgroup for my kids too, but we live in a house so it seems a bit more daunting.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 AM

I've been wanting to start a playgroup as well -- I was going to use the ideas from the preschool book club blog (preschoolbookclub.blogspot.com) as the basis.

Maybe if you have a good description on the flyer about what the playgroup will be like -- in terms of specific plans, it would give people a better idea of what to expect and generate more interest. 

I support homebirth that meets the qualifications set forth in the AAP's 2013 policy on homebirth.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:30 PM

I think a flyer with info about a fb page would work well. A fb page to update and refer to is essential for my mom groups. I know much of the time a mom will just post when they go to the park, so other moms can head to that park. Also, I'd recommend checking to see if any page like that already exists in your area.

User Tag List