creating a new schedule for child.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I have been trying to create a good schedule or routine for my one year old for a while. (I know that toddlers crave structure and need boundaries..). It is easy to plan a head, but the day rarely goes as planned. I try to make a schedule around her sleep/nap times, but sometimes she takes a morning nap, then skips afternoon nap, and goes to bed super early to make up for it. Or sometimes, she take a really long nap late morning, then goes to bed usual time, or takes her usual morn and afternoon nap, then bed regular time. So it is hard to make plans if her sleep times vary. Any advice? I try to do more active things in the morning, and more relaxing things in evening. 

Also, she tends to be pretty independent, and likes to grab things. so it is hard for set times to do specific activites w/ her. So I end up reading, teaching her numbers/shapes/letters/etc as we go about the morning or as she plays. There are no set times.

Also, she does not like to to sit down and be read to. So whenever I read to her, she either tries grabbing the book, and gets upset when I don't give it to her, or plays w/ a stuffed animal or something, while I read to her. How do you ladies She also tends to throw things she is given or has in her hand if she is cranky, wants to be breastfed, or some other reason. So should I just leave the object on the floor, so she learns not to throw it? I tend to pick it up, then distract her if she keeps throwing it. 

I have been reading "The Happiest Toddler on the Block", and I love it. But when I try implementing the FFR and echoing my child's feelings back to her in a tone similar to her own when she is upset, and then moving on or distracting her when she is calm, it does not work. Does anyone have any advice concerning this?

Thanks so much!

#2 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM

Hi there Fayth2012.
Just want to say that you are not alone. I was looking for a post about a high spirited almost 16 month old to get some ideas... activities.
I don't have an answer for you as I am still trying to figure this parenting adventure out also to understand my son better and communicate appropriately to his needs. Some of what you say is familiar to us.
He is all over and an explorer. I am currently trying to create stations in baskets and drawers for him around the home for play and learning and to develop his concentration (for example: books, music, stacking, twisting and balls). We try to dance part of the day and also sit him in high chair to draw on cardboard taped to tray (lasts 5 minutes before he puts soy ceayons in his mouth).. Good luck and keep at it. You will find a rhythm if not a schedule.
#3 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Soy crayons? Where can you get those? And the stations sound like a good idea. currently all her books, toys, etc are in this big basket. She is definitely an explorer, always crawling around rapidly, interested in everything. smile.gif
#4 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
My DD is almost 3 now, but I find it helps to set up mini-routines rather than a whole-day schedule. So, there's the stuff you do when you first wake up, the stuff you do before and after nap, the stuff you do at meal time and bedtime and while you're cooking supper. With a one year old, if you have regular routines for the stuff that happens every day, there's really not a ton if time in between! Especially once you set a goal for the day, like a sensory activity, an outing, a cleaning task.

You're right that this is the time to completely change your toy structure, too. A basket of toys becomes a dumping bin, so I found it better to separate things and put them in different areas/bins.

And as for Happiest Toddler, my DD hated that approach. Empathy, yes, but she hated the tone. Try visiting the toddler forum, too. Lots of good advice there.

Good luck! The toddler transition is big!
#5 of 5 Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
We do more of a mini-routine approach as well. Not because of any well-reasoned philosophy, it's just the way it worked out.

Also, with the reading, my 2.75yo still doesn't sit still to be read to. She loves us to read but she has to roam around doing other things. I just go with it and keep reading regardless of what else she's doing, until she asks me to stop.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page