ADHD husband and probable ADHD child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Whew...here I go. My Husband was diagnosed with adult ADHD about 6 years ago. Pre children. He got on meds, and was thriving at work because he was finally able to focus. I didn't think much of it, and didn't do any research. Turns out, it can be inherited. My dear sweet 4 year old has showed signs of ADHD since infancy, just about!!!! I thought it was just his temperament and it may be but he's got pretty classic ADHD symptoms already. I don't want to label him and I'm planning on homeschooling...already sort of unschooling. He started out life on a gluten free diet. I am gluten free due to celiac disease and half my family has issues with gluten so I just decided never to give it to my kids, at least until they are older and can make those sorts of decisions for themselves. I greatly limit sugar and pretty much never give them artificial dye or sweeteners. I follow the WAPF principals and I myself eat paleo. My DH isn't qutie on board, so we don't eat as pure as I'd like, but I do my best to suit everyones needs and desires. DH is on board with alternative schooling, and delaying and keeping meds away from DS as long as possible, although he wishes he had them available to him in high school and feels for our son if he ends up having learning disabilities(as they call it). Our daughter is only 23 months and I can already see a huge difference between the two of them. It could just be personality, but if ADHD is to blame, it makes sense. DD is super focused on things already, arts and crafts, movies, conversations, anything really. DS is still very distracted and hyperactive at 4 years old. Makes me nervous! Someone tell me that this okay and we'll be fine. I wanted to have like 3 or 4 kids, but with a child as demanding as this, I'm thinking we should be done. DH has already said he's done having kids and wants to go get a vasectomy right now. I still struggle with the idea of just one more. But then I think that having another would be incredibly stressful on our marriage and think that for the sake of that we should be done.  Thoughts?

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#2 of 4 Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I very strongly recommend a book called Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr Natasha Campbell McBride. It's a dietary protocol to heal neurological issues, and it is very similar to the paleo diet. The book is incredibly well-researched and enlightening. The premise, which sounds kind of bizarre without reading the book and seeing the science behind it, is that these neuro issues (ADHD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, depression, schizophrenia, etc) are rooted in poor gut health, and if you heal the gut, you can essentially heal the disorder. Definitely worth the read, even if you don't implement the full diet.

Best of luck!

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#3 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 PM

I'm no expert on diet or ADHD. Just letting you know you're not alone. I suspect that my 5 yo son is ADHD like my husband. I'm trying the homeschool route but sometimes it is more than I can handle. However I think of my poor boy trying to focus and sit for hours at school and that motivates me. It sounds like you are doing a great job. Also, boys are so different from girls and siblings are so different too. But I know it is hard to keep from comparing them. Have you thought about having him evaluated?

DS1-08/12/2007 DS2-06/24/2009
#4 of 4 Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update. After starting my son in DoTerra essential oil blends, he's made an amazing change. Seriously. He used to fight me on everything, constantly picking on his sister and annoying us just to be annoying. I did everything the books say, give him more attention, give him more opportunity for exercise, calming bedtime routine... The works. Nothin helped until I started him on intune. It's a blend if essential oils to hel with focus, memory and impulsivity, I also apply lavender several times a day and just ordered vetiver. He's truly a different child!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page