Want to get a degree but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I have no idea what I want to do! Any ideas? If I suddenly had to support my whole family, what degree would be most useful?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 undergrad degrees and they really don't help me with employment. Once the baby I'm pregnant with is 2 years or so I plan to enroll in a college for the RPN (registered practical nurse) program. It's a 2 year program offered as 16 consecutive months with good employability and opportunity for advancement. Just my thought smile.gif
#3 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycheattraffic View Post

I have 2 undergrad degrees and they really don't help me with employment. Once the baby I'm pregnant with is 2 years or so I plan to enroll in a college for the RPN (registered practical nurse) program. It's a 2 year program offered as 16 consecutive months with good employability and opportunity for advancement. Just my thought smile.gif

That is so true, I just don't know about all the anatomy classes and such..I don't do so well with math/science courses. :( I guess I could always look into certifications and stuff instead...hmm..

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#4 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There are ways to get "into" the medical field without having to do the harder classes.  Since you're just starting out, you could try becoming a medical assistant, phlebotomist, dental assistant, physical therapy assistant, or nursing assistant (CNA).  None of those jobs are going to pay well long-term, but they can get you a start.  If you like it, you can look into going further and become a respiratory therapist, registered nurse, etc.  As a bonus--many employers of health care providers provide tuition assistance.

#5 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 11:44 AM

If you decide to go into medical, just be very careful you don't get burnt out.  That's what happened to me, & I honestly don't think I will ever work as an LPN (licensed practical nurse) again.  I just recently lost my job, & aside from the fact that we need the money, I really wasn't upset by it.  I worked as an LPN for 6 years.  Nursing has gotten to the point where it's not about the patients anymore, it's all about trying to find ways around insurance companies bullshit rules and regulations...forget what's best for the patient, kwim?  

Not trying to scare you away from the medical field at all, it can pay well.  But go into it with realistic expectations.  Good luck!

SAHM to DS (16), DD (13), DD (3) & a bun in the oven due 10/11/13 

chicken3.gif

#6 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! I don't think I'll be going the nursing route, but I may look into ultrasound technician or phlebotomy...hmmm.

#7 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM

Start with yourself. What do you enjoy? What are your strengths? Your weaknesses?
#8 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM

What about getting some Child Development courses down? I took CD because I had wanted to be a teacher, didn't entirely know where to start, didn't want to go to school full time so I just picked what sounded fun (which were lots and lots of CD courses lol) and once I dropped out of college and needed a job asap, I had enough credits to work at a excellent child care center where I could have had opportunities to move up the ladder. Our director started out at that center in my position, being an Infant Teachers Aide. I always have the possibility of going back if I ever needed to.

How about that?

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page