WAHM & Medical Transcription - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-25-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am strongly considering Career Step's program for Medical Transcription & Editing and was wondering if anyone else here has done it? I am desperate to find some type of job I can do from home, but would like some input from others that have done it as well. Also, how hard was it to find a job afterwards and how do you like it? Thank you! :)

#2 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM

I haven't.  But my mom did. She recently moved to medical billing since most places are going to transcription software rather than hiring a transcriptionist.  So I wouldn't want to sink money into a career than is going away.  I do know several people who do medical billing from home.  

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#3 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I too would recommend medical billing.  With programs like Dragon & other voice recognition software, many doctors have decreased the amount of transcription that they do.  Also, a lot of doctors in the US have moved to electronic health records, so they can dictate, and then correct their note immediately, or they have a nurse document as they go.  I would suggest a medical billing program.  Some other companies will use billers as well.  There are also call centers that you can work from home for.  However, read the details carefully, since sometimes it is actually very difficult to get things done from home with your kids all in the house.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#4 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 03:24 PM

I like the idea of doing medical billing from home, too, but i dont know where to start. There seems to be a lot of scams out there, and from what i've read, most of the time you need to have a regular in-office medical billing job first and then try to transition to working at home. Is this true? Does anyone know of a legitimate way to work from home immediately?
#5 of 7 Old 07-26-2013, 07:41 AM

I did the Career Step Medical Transcription program and never ended up finishing and basically just wasted a bunch of money.  It is a really hard program and takes a lot of time.  There is no way that you can get it done with the kids around.  I was trying to do it while my parents watched the kids and then my grandma got really sick and my mom couldn't help out with my kids anymore because she was taking care of my grandma.  Anyways, it is a lot of work and from what I gathered while in the program most companies want you to be able to work a set schedule and you can't be working while you have children at home with you.  I don't know about the medical billing and coding, that might be different but the transcription was not what I thought.  It might work if you have older children who are in school and can occupy themselves when they are home.  My children are all 5 and under and it was very hard for me.  Hope this helps!  Let me know if you have any other questions!

#6 of 7 Old 07-28-2013, 12:39 AM

I did medical transcription here at the community college and finished the course. Then I go to find a job. Impossible. The MT jobs are shrinking so any company wants to hire someone with experience. 5 years at least before they'll even LOOK at your resume. I talked to a MT who worked for a company. She recommended carrer step because career step will place you in a job. The only problem is that the jobs are temporary. Lasting less than 2 months. Then after the company who you worked for temporarily sees your work, they hire only the top few, so most don't make it. Its a tough field. I'd talk to someone who is in it if you're serious. Its a lot of money and time to invest.
#7 of 7 Old 07-30-2013, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I trained through Career Step, finished back in 2009 and have been steadily employed since :) I don't make a ton of money, but particularly now as a single mom I definitely appreciate the flexibility it has offered me.

However, and this is a big however, I have definitely noticed a trend towards asking for at least 3 and sometimes 5+ years experience for new jobs, whereas it used to be more like 1 year and there were more opportunities for new hires.  I would check out career steps forums and see what kind of job postings are out there before you make a decision. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Single mama namaste.gif to dd dust.gifand ds fencing.gif, loving my dsd always reading.gif .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page