Stressful time in life, don't want to take it out on my son... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in the midst of a crazy-stressful time in life. We've got a lot of upheaval going on...a major overseas move looming on the horizon, saying goodbye to friends and family, staying with the non-English speaking in-laws for weeks (!!), trying to find a new home at our destination, trying to buy a car...lots and lots that is totally stressing me out. I know it will all work out and we'll be fine eventually.

The problem is that in the meantime, I'm home with my 17-month-old, who's just being a regular toddler...whining, testing boundaries, into everything...but I get way more frustrated with him than usual because I've got so much going on otherwise. I don't want to take out all of the stress on him!! I want to give him space to be a toddler. I don't want to be yelling at him a lot. But my stress level starts out so high that the irritating things he does just push me over the top so easily. How on earth do I manage all of this? I am so very overwhelmed and I feel guilty when I lose my temper and yell at him. He's just a little guy doing what little guys do...

#2 of 3 Old 06-20-2013, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I`m sorry, it really sounds like a tough move. I am also living abroad in my DH`s country so I know it`s a big decision. Finding a place of your own and having your own car as soon as possible is a great idea. It sure is really stressful.

The only way you won`t take it out on your son is by reducing your own stress level. Try relaxing whenever you can. Go for long walks with your DS in a stroller, eat ice cream :) Whatever helps you to stay relaxed.

Hope your move will be smooth.

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
#3 of 3 Old 06-20-2013, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

BTDT - I have the same issues (upcoming move, etc.) and had it the past 3 years, since we moved during each year of my son's life (also oversees). And every move was around his birthday greensad.gif There is so so much to think of and plan for.

I don't have much advise. It's still hard for me even though my son is older and I've done it 3 times already.

The biggest issue for me is that I have to make calls to make arrangements and he wants my attention at the same time. Ugh!

What I try to do is:

- breath

- stay positive

- pack, make calls etc during his naps or get someone to watch him for a few hours to get me some time to "work"

- breath

I think the most important thing is to reduce your stress level. Easier said than done - I know!

What is the thing that stresses you out the most?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page