School-schedule friendly jobs? What will you do when your kids are in school? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm starting to panic at the realization that my kids will be in school soon and I don't want to put them into an after-school program.  I'm also realizing I don't know what people actually do with their kids during the summer when they are working FT.  Hire a nanny?  Daycare programs?  I need to use my time wisely to figure out what I can do and what I want to do.

I'm starting to feel I should have continued to work while my kids were young and then stayed home when my children got into school.  I want to work, but I can't imagine going from being home with them all the time to working FT while they are in school.  I'm sure many people feel this way, so how do you make this work?  What do you do if you have the option to not work? 

What are you thinking of doing?  What suggestions do you have?  What has worked for other people you know?  I should add, I am privileged to not have to work, but I would like to, so that may help with your suggestions.

Help!

#2 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

lurk.gif

This has been on my mind a ton lately, as I've been home for seven years and am really starting to miss my working life. I thought it would be easy to go back to work at the school-age stage, but I'm just realizing what a busy time it is.

Quote:
I'm starting to feel I should have continued to work while my kids were young and then stayed home when my children got into school.

I think this too, but quickly check myself and know that dropping our infants off at daycare was just not an option for us (and I was lucky enough to have a choice).

Sorry no helpful suggestions here, but wanted you to know you're not alone!

Mama to dd 03/07 and ds 12/09

#3 of 17 Old 07-16-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoy View Post

lurk.gif

This has been on my mind a ton lately, as I've been home for seven years and am really starting to miss my working life. I thought it would be easy to go back to work at the school-age stage, but I'm just realizing what a busy time it is.

I think this too, but quickly check myself and know that dropping our infants off at daycare was just not an option for us (and I was lucky enough to have a choice).

Sorry no helpful suggestions here, but wanted you to know you're not alone!

I'm glad there is someone else out there thinking about this.  smile.gif  Some of my fears stem from the unknown (i.e. how much time would I really have with my kids if I worked FT and they were in school?), but I know I need to make some decisions.  I'm also fearful of starting a new, different career, spending money on even more schooling only to not find a job in that field.  Sigh.

#4 of 17 Old 07-17-2013, 09:12 AM

There are plenty of jobs that mesh well with school schedules. In our town, there is a ton of traffic around 3 in the afternoon. A lot of employees work 7-3 or a similar schedule. I work about 3 days a week (during the school week) and get off early enough to pick up the kids from school. During school breaks, DH or I may take vacation to be with the kids, or we arrange for relatives to visit. The kids go to a 'per day' day camp during the summer. They usually go 2-3 days a week. Other days, they may go to a friend's house during the day. It's nice, because now that they are school-aged, I don't feel like we're missing out on any family time. They really enjoy the camps and time at friends' houses. :)

" rel="http://files.mothering.com/images/smilies/familybed2.gif">familybed2.gif  DD1 12/05, DD2 12/08

Computer Engineer- I write better in 1's and 0's. ;-)
#5 of 17 Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSLaura View Post

There are plenty of jobs that mesh well with school schedules. In our town, there is a ton of traffic around 3 in the afternoon. A lot of employees work 7-3 or a similar schedule. I work about 3 days a week (during the school week) and get off early enough to pick up the kids from school. During school breaks, DH or I may take vacation to be with the kids, or we arrange for relatives to visit. The kids go to a 'per day' day camp during the summer. They usually go 2-3 days a week. Other days, they may go to a friend's house during the day. It's nice, because now that they are school-aged, I don't feel like we're missing out on any family time. They really enjoy the camps and time at friends' houses. :)

Thank you so much for sharing those details.  These are the things I don't know about and/or don't think about. 

#6 of 17 Old 07-21-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:

What are you thinking of doing?  What suggestions do you have?  What has worked for other people you know?  I should add, I am privileged to not have to work, but I would like to, so that may help with your suggestions.

Help!

Hey Mulvah, 

I have a little bit of time before I have to start thinking about school with my little one. But I am lucky to be able to stay home and raise my daughter. I might be thinking way ahead since my daughter is not even two yet but I decided that since I got laid off before I got pregnant and my partner wanted me to stay home and raise our child that I would find something were I can make my own schedule to fit around my daughter so I joined an amazing company It Works Global!! I like to work from home and being able to create my own hours and make extra income is awesome! I think I've started becoming successful because I help other moms just like me to get what they want in life. Check out my webpage for more info. http://tarasglamwrap.myitworks.com 

#7 of 17 Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 AM

I don't know if this is the direction you're going, but once both my kids start school this fall I'm planning on working from home.  It won't be a ton, 12-20 hours a week, but it will be doing something I love; pattern drafting and sewing.

Would working from home be an option for you?  What are you looking into for a career?

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#8 of 17 Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

I don't know if this is the direction you're going, but once both my kids start school this fall I'm planning on working from home.  It won't be a ton, 12-20 hours a week, but it will be doing something I love; pattern drafting and sewing.

Would working from home be an option for you?  What are you looking into for a career?

I worked from home prior to becoming a SAHM and then I did both, or WAH/SAH until I just couldn't do both as well as I wanted to.  It is a possibility, I suppose, but I think the latter question is my main problem - I just don't know anymore.  I wrestle between wanting a fulfilling career (and utilizing my schooling) and not wanting to sacrifice time away from my children that the career would inevitably require. 

#9 of 17 Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Can you get a job at the school? In my district the only requirements for substitute teaching are passing a background check and being able to spend the day with a room full of kids without killing any of them. I'll be subbing this year.

Bring back the old MDC
#10 of 17 Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM

I recently started working at our local library. It is casual, so no guaranteed hours, but it is extremely flexible. I can work weekends and evenings so I can watch my boys during the day. And I am able to be unavailable for pro-d days, school holidays, etc.

My goal was to work just a couple shifts a week to get out of the house and get back into the workforce after being out for 5 years. I enjoy talking to coworkers and patrons, and I also love how quiet the library is. smile.gif

Because you don't have to work, you can perhaps try to find a job you love, even if it isn't many hours. Or a job that has hours that work for you and your family.

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).
#11 of 17 Old 10-26-2013, 02:04 AM

I know a couple of moms in my area who got jobs at the local schools. It seemed to work out great for them because their schedules corresponded with the kids' schedules. The only negative side was no "me" time for the moms. They were either working at their job, or they were home working as a mom.

I have a part time job working nights at a hospital. 12.5 hour shifts are grueling, but at only 2x a week I get 25 hours of pay. :-) I come home after the kids have left for school. I fall into bed and wake up when they start coming home at 3PM. I have afternoons and evenings. And because my body is still partly on a night worker schedule, I stay awake until about 2 AM on nights off and sleep until about 10 AM. Plenty of "me" time! I am always here during the day (sleeping off a shift or not) so we have never had to use daycare, after school care, or holiday/summer camps. 

I work with several other moms who are part time night workers and consider themselves still SAHM's but have the night job on the side. 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#12 of 17 Old 12-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Subbing

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#13 of 17 Old 12-22-2013, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If you love chidren, work in a daycare.  Summers are rough if you don't have an alternate plan, but most daycares and preschools work around school holidays and if your child is younger, many daycares give you a discount if your child is enrolled in the daycare.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#14 of 17 Old 12-23-2013, 05:24 AM

Wow I can't believe it's possible to substitute with simply a police check! I have my teaching degree and I'd spend months on a waiting list to get to the supply list where I could be called anywhere within the district: walking distance or over half hour's commute and I wouldn't know until the morning of the opening - definitely not a family friendly setup.

As for my plans, they are in their infancy, like my youngest. My thoughts include going back to school to get my RN or RPN qualifications and then working part time, a couple of shifts a week. Another thought is staying home and sewing specialty items for sale. My oldest will be 3 in March so I'm starting to think about ways to slowly get her used to the idea of JK in 2015 and trying to figure something out to slowly get into as the girls grow.
#15 of 17 Old 12-23-2013, 10:30 AM

another option would be advertising for housecleaning jobs. In the past this is what ive done. I also have a member of my family who is a personal support worker who assists the elderly in their homes. Also several friends of mine are gardeners and do landscaping work... so there are plenty of different options to have instead of regular 9-5. I am happy to work from home now.
#16 of 17 Old 12-27-2013, 02:43 PM

I hope school my children but when my oldest was attending public school I worked full time as a nurse in a doctors office. For a nursing job it was very school schedule friendly with the exception of summer. In the summer my kids attended a summer day camp.

My older sister works as a para educator in her local school district and has the same days off as her kids mostly.

Another friend works as a school bus driver. Another works as a para educator on a school bus.

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.
#17 of 17 Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Great ideas - thanks for the suggestions.  Sadly, I'm no closer to figuring things out, but I have a little bit of time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page