hugging or not hugging babies under 6 months. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-19-2013, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have 5 months old baby.All the times she needs hug.She will cry as soon as I put her in bed.Her father has got back pain during these 5 months.I have heard some counsolers that parents should not let their babies under 6 months cry.They believe it causes babies imagine you do not pay attention to her or him and this lead to acting out when they get older.On the other hand some people says baby will spoil when you hug as soon as cry. I am completely confused .I do not really know what to do? 

#2 of 3 Old 07-19-2013, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Babies have a literal need for the closeness and affection hugging gives. Damage can be done if you withhold that from your baby and even more so under 6 months but even older babies need that. Babies only way of communication is through crying, that is their only way of letting you know that they need something. And when your child does finally quiet up it isn't because that need went away, but that he or she learned that that need won't be met, they lost that trust. Do you what you feel is best as a parent, not what anyone tells you. If your instincts tell you to pick that baby up, go get him or her and hold them. Usually, in most cases, a parents instinct is right on but conflicting advice makes them doubt their instincts. 

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201112/dangers-crying-it-out

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 3 Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

It sounds like you have a baby who likes to be held! It is ok to hold your baby as much as she needs. We are here to comfort our children.

You brought up some other issues. You say that her father has gotten sore from holding the baby so much! We all know what that's like. Do you have a baby carrier? Something like this: http://store.ergobaby.com/baby-carrier/original-collection

A baby carrier can take some of the stress off your arms and shoulders. If your baby is into being worn, she can just ride along with you for hours, sleeping in there, while you have your hands free and get work done around the house or go on a walk or run errands.

You also mention that she cries when you put her down in bed. That is pretty normal. It is scary for many children to fall asleep alone. Perhaps she may prefer being rocked or nursed to sleep, then you can put her down? Not everyone is into that but it works better for me and my son.

Tags
Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page