Considering offering afterschool care for one or two families - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in a really, really high cost of living area. It's getting hard to afford my staying at home with the kids. I would really like to do so, and am hoping not to have to sell our house to be able to afford to stay home.

One solution I thought of is taking in some kids for afterschool care. There are few options for "alternative" schooling in this area, but I've met a lot of families interested in it. Meanwhile, I have tried in vain to find after school opportunities for my kids to just have free play time, preferably outside, with other kids. Everyone is so busy with sports and lessons. I'm thinking there must be other moms like me who want their kids to just be able to PLAY after school. My kids are 7 and nearly 5. I'm wondering if I might like having 2-4 kids as paid babysitting clients, who would be part of a sort of informal waldorf-montessori-inspired afterschool group at my house. I'd do it maybe 2 days a week, the kids could come home with my kids on the bus, and get picked up around suppertime. I'd provide a media-free, structured afterschool program with a healthy, homemade snack, games, crafts, and lots of outdoor play in our fun backyard. Does that sounds feasible? I really like organizing play for kids, but at the same time I'm also kind of a quiet person who likes downtime. I'm worried it could be too chaotic. But if i interviewed families and found just the right ones....maybe? Anyone tried something like this?

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#2 of 4 Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The biggest obstacle I see with your plan is that parents looking for after school care 99% of the time will be looking for 5 days a week, many will need pro-d days covered and some will also be lookin for before school care.

You may be able to find a family who needs only certain days of care but I think it's probably going to be rare.

Also you need to look into how many kids you are allowed to care for at one time in an unlicensed setting. Many times it is only 2 others including your own unless it's a sibling set with more.

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25****30****35***40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  
#3 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's really helpful- thanks! :)

I will look into how many I'm allowed to care for. I think 5 days would be too much for me, plus we have swim lessons once a week and I can't transport everyone. I'm hoping to find maybe a mom who does part-time or freelance work and needs some care but not every day. But it may be impossible. I could always put it out there and see if anyone is interested, once I sort out the legality aspect.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#4 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If you aren't in a rush and can take your time looking it's possible that you could find someone but I think it would be pretty hard too. I don't know anyone who uses part time after school care other than in emergencies. 

I've done full time care daycare in my home and I can tell you it was REALLY hard finding the right people. To be honest, I never did.

I was truly shocked by how many parents do NOT value a safe place and loving person over convenience and price. My jaw dropped at the person who wanted me to provide full time care plus meals 45 hours a week for $100.00 when we are in a high cost of living area and the local daycares are at least 1k per month.

Then there were the people who were always late, never paid on time, lied about their children being sick, etc. etc. If you have a schedule to keep I would keep in mind that some people just will not respect that your time should be valued as much as their own. 

I know this is for after school care and not full time but I'd imagine you could run into the same problems I did. If you really need the money you could look around and change your mind if you aren't able to come to a good arrangement with someone but I just wanted to put an honest opinion out there. When I started everyone made it sound like sunshine and rainbows and such easy money but it was a nightmare and I'd prefer to work part time out of the home on the opposite schedule of my husband than bring kids in again.  

mama to three little ladies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page