im a stay at home mom with cats - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-12-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a new mom of a little boy Joshua. He is almost five months old. I am constantly worried about him being alone in the room with the cats. We have 3. It's bad because I feel like I have to be in the room with him all day long while my husband is working. I am terrified that the cats are going to snuggle next to him and suffocate him.
#2 of 5 Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Are you talking about when he's asleep? Can you keep the cats out of the bedroom while he sleeps? Either by closing the door to his room or shutting them in another room. I know some people put a screen door on the room the baby sleeps in to keep pets out but allow air flow and allow them to see in.

At 5mo I would think that for the short periods of time you're likely to leave him while he's awake it isn't going to be an issue. Even if the cats do get close they will probably find him too grabby to be a cosy bedfellow. My cat steers well clear of my babies. He finds them far to unpredictable :-)

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 5 Old 10-12-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

How old is your cat? Two of ours ate from the same litter and are 12. The other one is 6 but is more kitten like. All three are females. Yes I was referring to when he's asleep. the other question I have is how to keep the litter box away from inquiring hands when he starts crawling?
#4 of 5 Old 10-12-2013, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
He's 8 (nearly 9) now. He was 5 when my first DD was born and 7(nearly 8) when DD2 was born.

We keep his litter tray in a room with a gate on the door. When we lived in an appartmemt it was in the bathroom. Now, in our house, it is in the laundry.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 04:17 AM

I have fostered many cats while my son was younger. The cats and kittens often learned on their own to stay away from the loud thing trying to grab at them. Have your cats ever shown interest in laying near the baby? I feel it all depends if your cats are more the fight or flight type cats.
I would keep the litter box away and safe until the child a) stops putting things in their mouths (ew) b) is old enough go understand that the box is dirty and not to touch. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page