What did you give up to SAHM? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 11-20-2013, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I decided to finish my residency in Internal Medicine, then take a break. That "break" is currently in progress. We moved to Norway, where I was able to have my other baby and have full health care and education rights. I am a SAHM and full time student. I get to expose my kids to an amazing culture and new language! I'm learning Norwegian and my education has been approved by the government in Norway. Therefore, I will start working soon as a doctor.
#32 of 38 Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 AM

I am a new SAHM. I worked minimal wage jobs to support my son and I. I was in school but I did terrible at it. I loved it, just too much at home to focus on school. I wasn't even I'm the field of study I wanted to be in! I lost most of my friends when I had my son and the ones that stuck around are understanding. I don't socialize that often so staying home wasn't that big of a leap.
I met my fiancé and it just all fell into place that it would be better for me to stay at home. We are tighter then we would like to be on money but we make it work. Really it would cost more in gas to get me to any job then I would probably make at said job.
I find myself appreciating those little things more. If my fiancé does take me out it feels more special in a way. My son is in kindergarten so I have the house to myself to clean and organize to my hearts content. The family eats at regular times which never happened before I stayed home and we spend a ton of family time together because we have the time.
I don't feel like I lost anything when I choose to stay home. I only gained what I always wanted <3
tracyamber likes this.
#33 of 38 Old 11-23-2013, 12:18 AM

I gave up 2 years experience in a promising career, a retirement plan, let myself get behind so that I would not be hirable in that field if I wanted to return to it, and our income was cut in half. Was it worth it? YES! We struggled and scrimped and saved. But I felt lucky to be a SAHM.

I did go back to school and I started a new career as a nurse when my youngest entered Kindergarten. I wish sometimes I was still a SAHM but we need to supplement the income as the girls get older and their needs are more costly. Also we need to start saving for the future and not living paycheck to paycheck. I recently went part time and took a hit, but now I feel more % mom than I do a nurse, and that makes me feel like I've found a good balance.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#34 of 38 Old 11-23-2013, 04:47 PM

I quit my job after my third baby. I taught for 9 years and was an aide before that. I don't feel I gave up anything though. We don't make as much money as we did before but we are happy.
#35 of 38 Old 11-24-2013, 06:04 AM

Honestly...nothing. Growing up I didn't have a passion for anything except being a stay at home mom. I never knew what I wanted to do career wise. Which sounds depressing at first but reality my husband and kids inspired me and I started to grow a passion for things. Now I wasn't always optimistic and I never fully understood how awesome my life actually is. I definitely had a depressing moment when I was 21/22. I never finished college, I didn't have a career plan, I didn't have any mommy friends or anyone I could relate to. I felt like a loser basically. But I got out of that and found many reasons to be happy and created reasons to be happy instead of feeling sorry for myself.

tracyamber likes this.

Wife, mom of 3, obsessed with photography, crafting and blogging http://annleaartsy.blogspot.com/
#36 of 38 Old 11-24-2013, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I agree with the poster above about the " nothing " part and actually I have been wanting to reply to this thread because I have really been thinking about this question. I gave up nothing but gained a deeper understanding for love an compassion from my 2 year old everyday that I am with him. Since I have become a mother I have become a better person so in a sense I did not give up anything.
#37 of 38 Old 12-02-2013, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I gave up grown-up credibility points with the kind of people who think working for wages is the only way to earn grown-up credibility. Small sacrifice indeed :D

tracyamber likes this.
#38 of 38 Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm not really a SAHM. DH and I tag team so I work PT at night, he works days...but I can't really think of much other than the obvious less money coming in for now.

Honestly, the choice to care for my Mom and DH's Grandmother has involved giving up much more than choosing to have one of us available for the kids at all times. Travel is impossible now and even day trips involve lining up several caregivers. Children we can take with us, elders that aren't mobile require funds we just don't have.
I don't regret that choice either though; both are very much worth it. smile.gif

Tags
Stay At Home Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page