New SAHM - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-05-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'm 37 weeks pregnant with #2 and today was my first day home. I've been looking forward to this for several months but now that it's actually happening I'm having a rough time. Ds is 22 months and I'm now pretty nervous about being home all day with a toddler. People always suggest that I do something to get out of the house and id love nothing more than to do that but I live on the middle of a tall steep hill and everything is icy. I was out last week and totally wiped out, which was pretty scary. Also I'm so huge I can't chase down a toddler and our yard isn't fenced (we are getting that fixed but it'll take a couple month). So, what do I do with him all day when I have very little energy and can barely move? The major blank space is for 2.5 hours between 10 and 12.30 (after snack and before lunch). That is the time he's accustomed to doing something active outside. The rest of the daily routine is eating, napping, indoor play and relax time. Any tips (that dont involve leaving the house) would be very appreciated
#2 of 5 Old 02-05-2014, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have any specific tips, as it's been so long since I had a toddler or three by myself all day--but I would like to say that I would try to be very gentle with YOU as you adjust.  A lot of people think it's easy, even if it's something you really want, but for myself and most SAHMs that I personally know, no matter how much they liked/hated their jobs or school before, there is a bit of a grieving process involved.  So if you can, try to carve out some time for self-care.  It will make everything (including dealing with the kiddos) a little better.  Especially since you're also going through the transition of soon to be new baby.  (I'm 35 weeks pregnant, so kind of there with you in that regard, though my kids are older, 12, 11, and 11).

#3 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

It's tough being so close to the end of the pregnancy and having an active child!  If he's used to being active maybe you could put on some music and dance a little?  Pretend to be certain animals and "dance" like them?  I am not a fan of kids music but I did love Laurie Berkner and we would put on her CD a lot or dance music (I listen to a lot of electronic music). I can't remember if 22 months is too little to understand hide and seek but maybe do that?  Sometimes I just gave them dry rice, dry beans and like a million containers and that occupied them for an hour.  It made a mess, but it was worth it to me to keep them occupied.  I also used to have a kids yoga DVD that was really cute and the kids loved doing it (as did I).  I also had Kumon workbooks for tracing and cutting and stuff.  They were kind of pricey for me, so I only kept them as a special activity when I was out of ideas. My daughter especially loved them.  Not active, really, but interesting and fun for her.  Good luck!  :)

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#4 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bath! When I am hugely pregnant and exhausted, my kids spend a lot of time in the bathtub. You don't need to wash him everytime, just think of it like a wading pool in the yard.

Ds loved to play catch. I would sit on the couch and gently throw stuffed animals to him. When my pile was empty, he would bring (or throw) them back and we would start over. Sometimes I did use a ball. (But he was always the ball getter...I stay on the couch.) smile.gif

Can you have your dh hang a bar in a doorway? For a while we had one, and hooks in another door for a bucket.swing. and a small trampoline and a balance beam. The doorway things can be easily removed, and the balance beam can slide under or behind the couch. Anyway, my toddlers spent hours using those things.

I second the beans and rice play idea. My kids have also spent hours that way. Another idea is a small pan of water and tiny scoops and eye droppers. I strap them in their seat at the table, and put all the stuff on a bath towel.

He can also be your runner. Have him put folded clothes away, or sort dirty laundry. Or anything else.
#5 of 5 Old 02-06-2014, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thanks, these are great suggestions'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page