Deciding whether or not to keep working - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2014, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Deciding whether or not to keep working

Cross-posting from my DDC! I've only been posting on pregnancy boards up to this point, but I guess I'll be frequenting the parenting boards soon (March)! Might as well get started now.

I'm feeling really torn about work. I'm leaning toward quitting, but I don't know for sure, and I don't know when to do it or how. I love my job (well, parts of my job) and the institution I work for, so I want to leave right, if I do leave.

I work on a 10-month contract but get paid over 12 months. If I were to keep working, the beauty of that setup is that I could take 6 weeks paid maternity leave, then a few weeks unpaid, then go right into summer where I have another two months with the baby before I would start working again.

If I quit before I have the baby, I lose benefits, paycheck, etc. It seems dishonest to wait until summer to quit, but at the same time, I haven't made my decision yet and don't know if I'll be able to until I'm home with the baby seeing what it's like.

Is it dishonest or unethical to keep taking a paycheck and benefits for so many months and then end up quitting anyway? What if I DO make the decision to leave before the baby is born? Is it wrong for me to keep quiet about that and take my maternity leave, not to mention at least part of my summer salary/benefits? I've had some responses in the DDC that say I earned those benefits/leave days and will have already earned the pay I'm due over the summer, so there's no harm in waiting to quit. But I'm still not sure. Do any of you know if there's protocol for this, or etiquette?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I expect the etiquette of the situation would depend on your point of view. I agree with what was said in your DDC, take all the leave you're entitled to! And not in order to double cross anybody or defraud the organization or anything - you did earn those benefits. My advice to new moms is always to keep your options open as best you can. Many moms find after their babies are born that they don't want to leave them in order to return to work, and some mamas miss the adult interaction, the intellectual stimulation or just the income and choose to return to work. You won't know for sure which you are until your LO is here and you've had a few weeks to recover from the birth.

I love staying home with my kids, but I didn't have a job to go back to anyway so it wasn't a difficult choice. One my best friends had to go back to work, but found that she actually preferred it that way - she says if she was home with the kids all day she would lose her mind. So I say don't decide now. Take your leave, as much as you can, and if you want to stay home with baby once your leave is over THEN quit your job.

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg

User Tag List