Summer..help - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By littlebear3

#1 of 7 Old 06-12-2015, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Summer..help

I am at my wits end this summer. I do not know what to do with the kids! I am nerve wracked just thinking about when dsd finishes summer school this month and ds is done with his sport. I have all kids home on fridays and today has been wild and even more crazy than winter break.

To make matters worse i have been running kids around all week and i need to get stuff done at home but i feel like i haven't done much at all. I got laundry at least washed and dried and the toyroom picked up. Oldest dsd has mild adhd and she needs interaction. There is no way she can stay home all day for 6 weeks. But i have issues taking them all out on my own 4-in total. Plus the money! I don't have tons to spend. My youngest dd often throws tantrums or runs away when we go out. I am fearful of losing one of them so i have to avoid places like pools, museums and such. I have taken all except oldest dsd out and that has turned out okay and I have taken all 4 to the park so I can do it is just going to be so hot and the park or a walk may not always be a good option.

DSD3 will be in mothers day out until end of july so it is possible i could take out my two and older dsd on the one day younest dsd is in the mothers day out. There just has to be something I can do. They arent fighting all the time just acting like kids in the house too long. I do let them outside at least once during the day and again when DP comes home from work.

Suggestions?

SAHM to DS 10, DSD 8, DD 5 and DSD 5 and waiting for 10/26
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 Happily in love with my Superman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-12-2015, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmmm...seems like you have a lot of factors going on at once. If you could spend a little money (I know it's still a lot!) maybe get a family pass to a place where all the kids can play at once, and where your youngest could still "run away" but not be able to get completely away from you? I'm thinking of an indoor inflatables place, an indoor trampoline park, or other type of kids' play place.

If cost is truly a no-go, maybe try having a kid or two over one day a week? This sounds like more work, since you are adding a kid, but oftentimes having someone "new" over is exciting for kids and they are able to go off and play for longer stretches of time, leaving you free to get stuff done.

Other ideas: do you have splash pads in your area? Easier to keep an eye on kids there than in a pool. Or do a sprinkler or small inflatable pool in your yard? That way, you can still send them outside, but they will stay cool in the water.

Mom to three, wife to one
#3 of 7 Old 06-12-2015, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Well, in my generation we played outside all day every day of the summer. We also had very little to spend, but grew up knowing how to entertain ourselves. Can you schedule some sleep overs or play dates with friends and family members? Getting out in nature is usually free and kids love splashing in creeks and hiking trails. They're less likely to run off. You can't go wrong with water toys, sprinklers, squirt guns, balloons, slipnslides, pools. Some people like to foster a shelter animal when they have free time in the summer, kids might be great for that.Farmers markets and local farms are fun to visit in the summer too.
meowmix likes this.

#4 of 7 Old 06-14-2015, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebear3 View Post
Well, in my generation we played outside all day every day of the summer. We also had very little to spend, but grew up knowing how to entertain ourselves. Can you schedule some sleep overs or play dates with friends and family members? Getting out in nature is usually free and kids love splashing in creeks and hiking trails. They're less likely to run off. You can't go wrong with water toys, sprinklers, squirt guns, balloons, slipnslides, pools. Some people like to foster a shelter animal when they have free time in the summer, kids might be great for that.Farmers markets and local farms are fun to visit in the summer too.

yeah i know i played outside a lot too when i was younger. I knew how to entertain myself but these kids need guidance and often someone watching them or there will be fights. we also live near a very busy street and the youngest cannot be trusted outside alone.

SAHM to DS 10, DSD 8, DD 5 and DSD 5 and waiting for 10/26
2015 Happily in love with my Superman!
#5 of 7 Old 06-17-2015, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Do you have a yard at all? I have a really small yard, but investing in a sprinkler/baby pool/squirters really helps for summer and most are really cheap. Also a sandbox for the little ones.

I try to go to parks either early or late to beat the heat, and go to the pool/museums/play places around lunch or dinner time so they are less crowded (we pack a lunch or eat before or after). That might help with the little one running off so you aren't panicked with not being able to see them.

Definitely check the library-they usually have tons of programs for all ages, and many/most will be free (plus air conditioning).

I just went and stocked up on craft supplies too, for when it's too hot to be out much-just paper, glue sticks, etc. and splurged on some modeling beeswax, but play dough or clay would work.

I'm not big on being my kids entertainment-I make sure they have plenty to do, but if they are bored, then it's not up to me to fix that. I do try to alternate between periods when I'm busy doing stuff and when I'm interacting or hanging out with them, and that works pretty well for us. Today i got up and had to finish up some work (on the computer), then I took them to the library and park for a couple of hours. Now I'm working some more while they listen to a book on tape and play for a couple of hours. After that, I'll do something with them again, before I go to make dinner-that's a pretty typical rhythm for us. It might help to look at the days that way and see how it might naturally work out so that everyone gets some attention but you also get time to do your daily tasks.

Single mama to dd
and ds
and adding one more to the crew November 2016!
#6 of 7 Old 06-22-2015, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Do they play with neighborhood friends? I rarely entertain my kids, even when they were younger. And they rarely always did stuff together. When they were younger we did walks on our trails- we would spend an hour meandering around. I would just stop when they stopped and wait while they turned logs into motorcycles or turned over rocks. I, too, didn't want to spend tons of money so if we got sick of the trails around our house, I would take them to various county parks. One park near us had the merry go round run for free during the week so the kids would spend a LONG time riding it.. maybe you have something like that near you? I also visited like every playground in our area. We even packed picnics and I looked up cool playgrounds that might be an hour drive away and we'd check out those.

I'm lucky that I live in the DC area so lots of free museums. But many cities have a free museum day at least once a month. Are there museums near you?

When I was feeling uninspired to go anywhere, the kids always were happy playing at home. They played in the baby pool, played with water guns, built forts in the woods out back, they even took boxes- turned the hill muddy and went "sledding" in the mud. It's amazing what kids can come up with when they are "bored". Inside I always had glue, markers, craft supplies, the dreaded glitter, etc. We made playdough. They helped me bake bread and cookies. I played more Hi Ho Cherrio than I ever care to play again. heh. Sometimes I drank coffee and watched them play. Sometimes I did household chores. Sometimes I studied because I was in college.

I have to edit to add that I am an avid reader to my children. We would get STACKS of books at the library and I would read to them. Somtimes they would get into a chapter book and we'd finish an entire chapter book in one day. DD1 and son would always listen. DD2 was a little young, she would usually play around me and occasionally she'd ask me questions so then I'd realize she was listening, too!

Now they're basically 14, 12 and 10 and so they all do their own thing. They just need me to drive them somewhere occasionally. We'll still hit the museums and they will bake (they don't need my help anymore) and they will be expected to help me with housework. I love every age, but it was a little more fun when they were teeny!!!

Married, working mom to son (almost 15), DD1 (almost 13) and DD2 (11). Oh, and badnewf, a nonobadbordercollie and 3 black cats.

Last edited by meowmix; 06-22-2015 at 07:08 AM.
#7 of 7 Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only have a 2 year old and kind of feel your pain in worrying about the youngest running off. Luckily I was able to find a few playgrounds that are completely fenced in. Also great for Summer time is the fenced in splash park areas. We live in a condo area, so no fenced in backyard, but gosh that'd be the best! No doubt, being a SAHM requires some organization and planning. I could not imagine having to entertain several kids with various ages. Maybe join a local homeschool group to ask for some tips and advice, because those parents seem to have it down! They often have several kids of various ages and have to obviously continuously find ways to teach them and engage them in activities.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page