SAHM and kids with separation anxiety - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 01-07-2016, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
SAHM and kids with separation anxiety

I've recently become a SAHM again after working most of the time. I was averaging 35hr a week only during business hours. Ds LOVES going to school so it's not about that.

Now that I've been home with him 24/7, except the few times I run to take his dad to and from work (which is only an hour drive maybe two days a week), 'S can not stand to be in a different room than me. He loses his cool, screams, follows me. Basically ANYTHING he can do to get me either to come back where he is, or get to be where I am.

The only time this REALLY REALLY bothers me is when I need to shower or when I'm putting away laundry. I've tried giving him "helping tasks" that are appropriate for his 3yo said but I can't think of anything else to get him to let me wander on my own a bit.

I'm not sure if this is a question or a rant but TIA for whatever replies I get.

Lots of Love
-Mcfly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-07-2016, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
That's normal behavior for 3. Around that age, I had to have dh take dd out of the house for 3-4 hours each weekend, because if they were still in the house it didn't matter how hard he tried, she'd go straight for me. That lasted until sometime after her 6th birthday, although things started improving a bit at 4.

And having that time made doing stuff with her waaaaaay less annoying. Still had to shower after she slept, but with that break doing laundry and having her "fold washcloths" (only time I've *ever* had folded washcloths) didn't get on my nerves.
#3 of 7 Old 01-07-2016, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

We also cosleep and if I so much as roll away so that we're not touching he instantly wakes up and cries.

I wish we had washcloths so he could do those, but we don't and I don't think I have enough socks per load for him to match haha.

Thank you for making me feel less crazy though!!!

Lots of Love
-Mcfly

-
-
-
-

#4 of 7 Old 01-07-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyxxmcfly View Post
We also cosleep and if I so much as roll away so that we're not touching he instantly wakes up and cries.
Ahhh, that must make you soooo touched-out. Turn up the thermostat an hour before bed and add another blanket? Then you could turn the thermostat back down once you could get away (y'know if it worked). Or sneak a pillow between you so he's got constant pressure?

Soooo tough!
#5 of 7 Old 01-07-2016, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondtimeMama View Post
Ahhh, that must make you soooo touched-out. Turn up the thermostat an hour before bed and add another blanket? Then you could turn the thermostat back down once you could get away (y'know if it worked). Or sneak a pillow between you so he's got constant pressure?

Soooo tough!
I've tried the pillow and blanket tricks, he also has had a lovey since he was about 7mos that he still sleeps with.

It seems to be JUST me that he acts like this with. We've had his gma put him to bed a few times on special occasions and he sleeps just fine without the constant contact. He is the same for dad, goes to sleep with a little trouble but doesn't really notice anything once he's asleep. If I were to try moving or getting up, he instantly wakes up and either comes to find me or cries till I come find him.

Lots of Love
-Mcfly

-
-
-
-
#6 of 7 Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyxxmcfly View Post
I've tried the pillow and blanket tricks, he also has had a lovey since he was about 7mos that he still sleeps with.

It seems to be JUST me that he acts like this with. We've had his gma put him to bed a few times on special occasions and he sleeps just fine without the constant contact. He is the same for dad, goes to sleep with a little trouble but doesn't really notice anything once he's asleep. If I were to try moving or getting up, he instantly wakes up and either comes to find me or cries till I come find him.
So, obvious question, do you *have* to do bedtime? How much trouble is "a little trouble"? Does it help at all if you do the bath and then dad does the stories?
#7 of 7 Old 01-09-2016, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, I do. He only fights sleep for 10 minutes or so, but Dad travels all week and apparently is staying through this weekend too. I'm not sure how often that will happen where he's doesn't end up coming back for the two day weekend.
Maybe I'll try the pillow idea again and see if we have better luck if I put a shirt on it like with infants?

Lots of Love
-Mcfly

-
-
-
-

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page