Would anyone else like to SAH forever? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 90 Old 04-20-2005, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, maybe not forever… But for a very long time?

I don’t see myself working outside of the home at all. I have NO desire to have a career outside of the home, even when my child gets older. There are some things I might like to do someday, but that would be after my child/children are adults.

In a perfect world I’d be a SAHM and then a “housewife” forever. This *is* my career and it is very fulfilling to me.

Anyone else?

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#2 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 12:02 PM

I recently got a new boyfriend, and I told him long ago that I have no plans of going back to work as far as I can see. I have two kids now and I would love 2 or 3 or 4 more, and will homeschool. On the other hand I would like to be a lactation consultant, we'll see, I do like being a stay at home mom!
#3 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 12:14 PM

I have no plan to go back to my pre-baby, work in an advertising agency life or work for anyone else doing anything that isn't a passion for me. That said- I am trying to get some of my passions going while my babes are young so when the time comes- I am making money doing things that I love instead of logging in hours for a paycheck. (I do voice over, write, make jewelry, slings, cards etc. as well as pick up extra with media buying, copywriting) Besides, I love being at home, baking, doing crafty stuff, having enough time to actually keep the house clean and do the laundry (once I am making the big bucks though I am getting a housekeeper to do that!). Never thought that was me until I started doing it. It's crazy sometimes (and about to get crazier) but dd is my best boss/client that I have ever had!
#4 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 01:24 PM

I don't plan to ever go back to work. I didn't have a career prior to becoming pregnant with DS, so there's nothing to go back to really. We're planning on unschooling, so I'll need to be home with the kids for that for some time. Once they're a bit older, however, I'd like to pursue midwifery and I'm also cultivating other interests of mine like art and writing. Even if I became a midwife or did freelance work or work on my own from home, I'd still consider myself to be a SAHM though primarily. This fits me really well and being a housewife (a word I don't particularly like) has always been a goal of mine (or at least since high school).

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#5 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Banned

yes
#6 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Don't tell dh, but yes! That would be my absolute dream. I love being home taking care of things around the house.
#7 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 02:33 PM

I am the same way...although I enjoy being a WAHM..that keeps me busy.
#8 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 02:47 PM

I had been in the restaurant biz for 19 years before I had ds. I assumed I'd go back to it all, but I love being home w/my guy. However, financially it's been a struggle so I searched for a SAH biz that I liked. Now I'm home and working. Guess I have 2 jobs. Here's the scary part...if we were to win the lottery we'd most likely open a restaurant. Dh is a chef and we're suckers for the biz.
#9 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 02:59 PM

If I ever go back to work, it will be something part time that I enjoy, not a real career. I have told dh that maybe I'll go work at Nordstrom sometime in the future - get to dress up, talk with other women, and get a discount on my clothes!

Before I had kids I did a lot of vounteer work, and definitely plan on picking that up again sometime in the future.

There is a slim chance that I may go to culinary school one day. I would love to go to law school, but don't want to practice law, so I can't justify the expense.

I have a degree from a prestigious University, and it kills my classmates that I have never had any real career aspirations. I always wanted to be a SAHM.
#10 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 03:00 PM

No, I have no intention of going back to work. I married, and only have worked since because I've had to for one reason or another. I will never have a "career", but working outside the home is something I would do if it was neccesary. I'm working on my doula certification so that it doesn't have to become neccesary.

Of course, WOH doesn't mean not bringing in any extra income. I have a fantasy of running a small shop attached to the house. Something crafty. And my kids will be able to run back and forth as they please. Or maybe it will wait til retirement. Who knows?

I also believe in volunteering. I consider it a duty and a pleasure. Though I'm not currently volunteering anywhere, I am looking. And when my kids are born, I want to take them with me. I think the world needs more people who aren't tied down by careers to do good. (Not that I don't think people with careers don't do good things, but that it's easier to when you don't have to work 40+ hours a week on top of it.)
#11 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 03:10 PM

I don't plan on working ever again. That said, I tutor high school students in the evenings for pay. I don't consider this work. I love doing it. I'm so happy I get paid to do something that I would happily do for free. I will continue to do this, but any other work is out of the question.
#12 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 03:11 PM

Yes, this is one of the reasons I'm going back to school for accounting. I know, I know, those 2 things sound like they don't go together. :LOL Seriously though, I'm getting my CPA so I can WAH & SAH both. Kinda the best of both worlds. Plus, financially being a SAHM permanently just doesn't work for us. However, I refuse to go back to a 9-5 40 hr a week WOH job. Becoming a CPA gives me the flexibility of working for myself, plus the benefit of being able to make GOOD money working primarily January-April and then working MUCH less the rest of the year.

If it was realistic money wise though I'd be fine never going back to school or work. I SAH!

Holly
#13 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 03:18 PM

yes
#14 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 03:43 PM

I have no intentions of going back to work As a matter of fact, I want 12 kids and I want to homeschool them all and I want to live on 40 acres of land w/ an oraganic garden that supplies ALL the produce we need and some livestock, chickens maybe, and I want my children to run around barefoot in the grass and how can I enjoy all of that if I'm working?? Who will care for my chickens and my garden?? Who will teach my children about the world around them, even as adults when they're entering a whole NEW world?? If I'm at work when they're adults, they would have to call me at the office and "disturb" me and I would feel guilty that I wasn't there to answer their questions. So....

I'm staying home forever.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#15 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 04:08 PM

I've been home most of our 20 years of marriage,and never plan on working outside the home. There is soo much to do at home with 3 children. I've learned to live frugally so I can stay home. I love my children being with me every day learning in a natural way,sewing,gardening,reading,playing,singing,takin g naps ,etc. The list goes on and on.
#16 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 06:59 PM

I have no desire to walk back into the working world!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#17 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 07:15 PM

That's the plan!

Mama of three.

#18 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 08:21 PM

Well, I currently work (very) part time and I only have a few weeks left (I'm a TA at my kids preschool). I *love* my job, but the more I think about being a full time SAHM this Fall, the more I don't want to go back to work in a few years! I guess I'll see how it goes!
#19 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 08:32 PM

I'd love to not ever have to WOH, and devote time to my mosaic work when DS doesn't need my 24/7.
#20 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Banned

Oh I hear you. I would love to stay home forever, maybe have another child when dd starts school (I can't do two babies at once, I know my limits), add a few more animals to the family, start a garden, make my own pies and jams, preserve all sorts of funky things like pickled asparagus. I would just love to do all of that. I am trying to figure out a way to extend my sahm state right now, maybe by doing some tutoring or being a part time nanny or something that would offer some flexibility with either having dd with me or being able to work once or twice a week in the afternoons. I just love being with dd and talking with her and taking a walk every afternoon and going to playgrounds and reading books........ I could go on and on.
#21 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I see myself staying home for at least the next 10 years. I've been wondering whether I could do it forever, if dh had a decent retirement package for us to live off of, and I think I could. Which is good, considering how hard it is for women to re-enter the work force.
#22 of 90 Old 04-23-2005, 10:50 PM

Yes! Taking care of my family is the most fulfilling thing I've ever done. I do have a fledgling jewelry business that I work on when I have the time...it's my playtime. I hope to spend more time on the business as my children go off to school but I'd only go back to the corporate world kicking and screaming.
#23 of 90 Old 04-24-2005, 01:35 AM

I don't want to go back any time soon, but I can't imagine not working at something when my kids are older (like high school) and don't need me here all the time. I am considering homeschooling, but likely not beyond elementary school.

I like being a mom at home, but I am not really a homemaker type person, or at least what I imagine that to be--someone who loves to garden, sew, decorate the house, organize. I feel the need to contribute to my community in other ways. Maybe this would involve volunteering, or political activism, or something other than my "career", I don't know yet...but something other than being at home.
#24 of 90 Old 04-24-2005, 04:43 PM

Sometimes, I feel like I could SAH forever. Sometimes, I feel like I just can't wait to go try my wings in the working world. If there were no financial pressures at all, I think I would choose to be home for a long time while pursuing my passions through volunteering. Part of the issue for me stems from feeling like I was supposed to "do something with my life". My parents, teachers, etc. had HUGE expectations for me, and I never could figure out my expectations for myself. I remember one day, though, when I was late in my first pregnancy. My friend (at the time unmarried and childless) and I were sitting in my tidy little apartment, and I was just glowing about my impending motherhood. I said to her, "Would it be terrible if I told you that this is my goal in life? I just want to be a good wife and mom, and that feels like enough." She actually told me she felt exactly the same way, but we were both raised to have it all and we couldn't figure out how that was supposed to work.

I don't love housework. I don't love grocery shopping, yard work, or cooking. What I do love is the rhythm to my days. I love hearing the front door bang closed as the kids rush in from school. I love snuggling with the little one as daddy heads off to work. I love having the morning free to visit my grandmother. I love that when dh is off during the week, we can go have lunch together. I can't imagine a job that I'd love more than this one!
#25 of 90 Old 04-24-2005, 06:13 PM
AJP

I'd only go back to being employed if it was absolutely necessary, which it's not right now, and I find my current life fulfilling beyond description.

There is no secret ingredient.
#26 of 90 Old 04-24-2005, 06:46 PM

Yup! I don't ever see myself working outside the home again. Of course, I might...but since I became a mother and I've been home for.. almost 7 years now, this IS my career. Now, others don't think it is and some (family) say negative things about it...you know, the whole "you watch tv and eat bon bons" line of reasoning..

Personally, I am very happy doing what I do. My husband is happy. And my kids are happy! I recently had a conversation with my dd (6 years old) who asked if I had a job. I told her I did. She said, "No you don't! You don't work." I told her my job was to stay at home with them and be the best Mama I knew how to be! Then she thought about all the things I really do at home, and what being a SAHM really means... she was impressed afterwards. :LOL And I felt really appreciated. (which I need sometimes!!)

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#27 of 90 Old 04-24-2005, 06:58 PM

We can't afford for me to stay home much longer. It makes me feel sad. But I feel lucky to have had the last year at home (sort of, because I work weekends and go to school one day a week). I would prefer to never have to work full-time for the rest of my life. Eight hours a day is way too draining! If my dh had a job that could support us better I would probably not work until all the kids were older. Or maybe never, wouldn't that be great!

I'd love to watch my grandkids someday if my kids needed me to!
#28 of 90 Old 04-24-2005, 07:37 PM

I would like to SAH for a long time. When DS is in school I do volunteer work that I feel really benefits the community... but go back to corporate america? I don't think so.
#29 of 90 Old 04-24-2005, 10:45 PM

I definitely see myself being a stay-at-home-mom for the long haul. I have no plans to return to the work force. I see volunteering in my future.
#30 of 90 Old 04-24-2005, 11:58 PM

I have no desire to go back to the out-of-the-house "working world".

I have other aspirations and desires. And maybe at some point I'd like to do some work for $$$, but not really outside of the home. And if it was, I think it would be way part time and low key. I have dreams of making more room for charity work and things like that. But not any official "job".

I feel that I am just lately really getting into my "job" as a SAHM. Like I'm just beginning to have this world, this SAHM world, unfurl to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page