Why are you the SAHP... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2008, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH was a SAHD with DD. He SAH for 2 years. I was laid off while I was pregnant and it was my opportunity to be the one that SAH. I worked because I made 2x what he did. I had a part time job a few weeks ago, for some extra money, and DS didn't tollerate it at all. So I quit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Because if DP SAH? The house would be trashed, burned down, exploded, or all of the above.

Seriously. I refuse to work 40 hours and then come home to a pigsty. And while I may not be the ideal Stepford Wife, well, there's dinner every night, clean clothes every morning, and a vacuumed floor. That's more than I'd ever get out of him.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Dh makes much more money then I ever could as a RN.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:27 PM

I think it's really messed up that SAHDs are seen as some kind of joke by anybody. They're going against a lot of cultural pressure to do what they do, and I think they deserve credit for that, not mockery.

My ex was sort of a SAHD for the first year or so of ds1's life. He was a furniture mover, and was low man on the roster. That meant he only got called in when all the guys ahead of him already had work (or were on vacation, of course). There were periods where he'd work as little as 4 hours in a two week period. Without my income, he'd have had to find another job, but the bills were paid, so he stuck it out and climbed the ladder. He was working pretty close to full time by the time we split up when ds1 was 7. (He got fired a few months later, but that's another issue entirely.) We considered having him stay home, but having me stay home just wasn't an option. It would have been tight even without his income...and I was making more than double what he was, most years. Honestly...until he decided that being responsible for a baby was too much stress and he just couldn't handle it (or whatever it was he thought), he was a really great SAHD, and was probably better for that than I am, in some ways...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 05-30-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I think it's really messed up that SAHDs are seen as some kind of joke by anybody. They're going against a lot of cultural pressure to do what they do, and I think they deserve credit for that, not mockery.
:

I think I'm even more bothered by the mockery, or dismissal, of SAHDs than I am bothered by the negatively (sometimes) directed at SAHMs. It just seems so...sexist?

I give SAHDs a lot of credit.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:55 PM

I'm the one who's knocked up! I told dp when he is pregnant he can stay home. Seriously though, he makes double what I did and it doesn't make sense for me to work and him to be off.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Old 06-01-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post

That~~~and don't flame me, but i beleive this is my place in this season in my life, as a woman..
I agree with you!

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:34 PM

I stay home because it is the best thing for everyone involved. Even if I could make more than dh, and weren't nursing, I would still rather be the one caring for my dd.

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.

User Tag List