Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is a news article of interest.

Stay-At-Home Moms Deserve High Pay, Analysis Shows - Yahoo! News
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/economy_mothers_dc
#2 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
D*amn right we deserve high pay. Although, I might be fired in the housekeeping department.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#3 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo
D*amn right we deserve high pay. Although, I might be fired in the housekeeping department.
I know I would be fired in the housekeeping department. I hate house cleaning!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#4 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo
: Me too!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 02:27 PM

"The importance of this calculation or this estimate is just calling attention to the fact that being a stay-at-home mom is not a cop out, it's not the woman's way out of the workforce and it's not a job of no value," said Bill Coleman, senior vice president of compensation at Salary.com. "There is a lot of value there, and some would say it's even priceless."

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
#6 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 02:34 PM

I'd settle for getting Social Security credit for these years I'm home. But no. The government doesn't consider what I do to be "work."
#7 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama
I'd settle for getting Social Security credit for these years I'm home. But no. The government doesn't consider what I do to be "work."
It's a helpless feeling... :

DS 12 DS 9 DD 6
#8 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 02:42 PM

I wonder what would happen if every SAHM and every one who knows and loves a SAHM even WAHM or WOHM to write to congress. write, e mails ect..start a flood. it is about time we are recognised in the owrld as equals!
#9 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 02:45 PM

Good idea charmarty.

I weighed in page two of the other thread about this
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=280896

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#10 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 02:59 PM

ty!
#11 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
: Already subscribed to other thread...

Here is the argument I hate: "No they don't deserve to be paid because they are getting a free place to live!"
#12 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Amen, sister!
#13 of 24 Old 05-03-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I hate to be the rain on this parade...

I do not get (my own) SS benifits, but I also DO NOT PAY INTO THE SYSTEM. If SAHPs *really* want SS benifits, step one is being willing to put the $2-14K *in*.

#14 of 24 Old 05-04-2005, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, I guarantee that the position would be classified as "exempt" under the FLSA regs and the SAHMs would not get overtime.
#15 of 24 Old 05-04-2005, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2

I do not get (my own) SS benifits, but I also DO NOT PAY INTO THE SYSTEM. If SAHPs *really* want SS benifits, step one is being willing to put the $2-14K *in*.
Huh. I had never thought about the fact that we don't pay into the system as part of that equasion. TiredX2, you are absolutely right. And yet...I still think we deserve the SS benefits. There has got to be a way not to penalize in old age the women who do the work we do. What do you think?
#16 of 24 Old 05-04-2005, 12:42 PM

But we can't pay into the system because we don't get paid for the work that we do.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#17 of 24 Old 05-04-2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#18 of 24 Old 05-04-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2

No, we don't get to pay into the system, because we're busy raising future taxpayers. :LOL

I'd rather put my money into investments that I control.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#19 of 24 Old 05-04-2005, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdypea
But we can't pay into the system because we don't get paid for the work that we do.

Hypothetically, that could be changed. BUT, do you really want it to be is the real question?

For example, there could be a schedule that would determine your "worth" as a SAHM based on DPs salary, the area you live in, etc... Then, you could pay into the system at that rate for the years you stayed at home. For most people, though, it would probably not be worth it for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to):

1) Since you would not have a matching employer contribution, you would have to put in the full appx 15%.

2) Most SAHFamilies don't have that extra money just laying around--- if they did it would probably be better off fulling funding ROTH IRAs for both adults.

3) If you SAH long term, you will get benifits based on your partners level of pay--- if they are widely disparate it wouldn't "gain" you anything to pay into the system.

4) If meanwhile, you are only taking a few years off from a higher paid job, you wouldn't want your lower SAHM salary added into your years of earning.

On another topic--- your SS benifits are based upon earnings. It makes sense that people who have had less income have less expenses so saying you should be getting paid (eventually in SS) doesn't *really* make sense--- why should your income at retirement be based upon money you never actually had?

I think an obvious (unpalatable to most) situation is the following:

Remove the cap on SS taxes. It is currently capped around $90K. Any income should be taxed for SS (well, I actually would support the first $15K being untaxed because generally people earning under $15K yearly need every single penny).

Secondly, instead of considering it an individuals contribution, consider it a family contribution. If your family brings in $100K with 2 adults, you are both credited as $50K earners. Same for if your family earns $20K. (we would run into a problem on the lower end as you currently have to hit a "minimum" before you get the "credit"). These would be portable. If a couple was married 10 years w/one partner taking care of the home/children and they made $100K and then divorced--- each would take a record of $50K of earnings for those years to be figured into their lifelong average. If one partner died before retirement their family earnings would not magically "disappear." (This could be adjusted for widows/ers, etc...).

#20 of 24 Old 05-04-2005, 01:47 PM

I agree that there needs to be more respect given to SAHM's. But not paying SS is actually something I consider a benefit. We have the ability to save for our retirement any way we want - SS is just a forced way to do it. I think it's highly unlikely that any of the money I have (unwillingly) put into SS in the past (I worked before I had my kids) will ever be given back to me.

I don't want a salary - I'd just settle for some respect. For people not assuming I'm uneducated, or chose the 'easy way' by staying home. Ok, I lied. I would love a salary, I'm just not expecting one!

Take care,

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M
#21 of 24 Old 05-04-2005, 02:29 PM

But, Zaftigmama, not everyone does have the ability to save for retirement. There are plenty of sahms in families who are just making it on one salary and are not able to set $$ aside for old age. What happens to them?

TiredX2, your plan sounds plenty palatable to me. I think the idea of a family contribution to SS is excellent.
#22 of 24 Old 05-04-2005, 06:01 PM

I agree that not everyone has the ability to save for the future. But with SS the government is taking money out of your paycheck and deciding what to do with it, and there's no saying you'll get it back. So, if that's all you have for retirement, you could be in the same boat as a SAHM that doesn't work outside the house. Whoever said they want to put their money in investments they control, that's exactly what I'm talking about. At least you know it will be there when you need it.

A family contribution isn't a bad idea either, but I still don't want the government controlling it. I'd rather if my dh could split his 401(k) into accounts for both of us. I'm all for paying taxes that go to education, community assistance, etc.,. But forced retirement planning and saving? No thanks.

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M
#23 of 24 Old 05-04-2005, 08:19 PM
AJP

Talk of SS benefits for SAHPs may be entirely academic, since it might not be there at all by the time any of us are of retirement age, regardless of which side of the aisle comes out on top of the current debate.

I'd settle for tax credits and other similar acknowledgement for SAHPs.

There is no secret ingredient.
#24 of 24 Old 05-05-2005, 12:31 AM

It doesn't make sense to me to say that people who have had less income have less expenses. We are a "less income" family and still have rent, car payment, food, electricity, gas, water, clothing, etc to pay for... the fact that it is all covered by one income doesn't really cut our expenses. We have the same expenses that anyone would have but less money to cover them. We try to be as frugal as possible but there still is not much left over after taking care of our basic expenses.
I'm not asking people to hand me money when I retire. It'd be nice if there was some way society would recognize that SAHM are valuable and provide some financial credit for us though.
I have no confidence that if I was WOH and paying into SS that I'd get anything back from it.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page