Drinking problem - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 110 Old 09-19-2008, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavamamakava View Post
I really wouldn't have a problem with a nanny having one beer. I can imagine a nanny meeting other nannies for lunch with their kids and having an alcoholic drink with lunch. I also don't feel that I need to keep knowledge of my alcohol consumption from my children. I drink something alcoholic less frequently than once a month.
if i had a nanny and she did that, i would fire her. that's just me personally though. i don't drink. at all. i don't like the taste or anything about it. i have an alcoholic brother and have dealt with other alcoholic related problems with friends/family and it's just not worth it.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 110 Old 09-19-2008, 02:17 PM

I have a five month old, and I'm not comfortable with a midday drink when I'm the only one home with her. Which isn't to say that no one should, or that I'd be upset if someone else did. I just feel like I'd be worried about being able to be totally "on" if I'd had a drink. I have called my husband and said "I'm short on cope today, can you help by trying to come home on the early side" or handed the baby to him when he got home, poured a drink and gone into the other room to take a break ("I'm going into the bedroom, I'll fold the laundry and please don't bother me until I come out unless there's an emergency.")
#93 of 110 Old 09-19-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslinsibel View Post
No its not like that Just i said my opinion that all.so,don't take it as serious .
I am really not understanding you very well........kinda confused.
#94 of 110 Old 09-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytwogirls View Post
I am really not understanding you very well........kinda confused.
You are not the only one!

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#95 of 110 Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahC View Post
You are not the only one!
Me three.
Maybe I should have a drink to understand???
#96 of 110 Old 09-20-2008, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
What if you had to jump in the car to drive somewhere?
I would be comfortable driving after one drink.

Quote:
I really wouldn't have a problem with a nanny having one beer. I can imagine a nanny meeting other nannies for lunch with their kids and having an alcoholic drink with lunch.
On the other hand, as a childcare provider, I never drink alcohol when I'm watching someone else's children. It seems unprofessional.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#97 of 110 Old 09-20-2008, 01:07 PM

Even if I am past the point where I wouldn't feel comfortable driving, I would take a cab or bus if I needed to go somewhere or cal 911 if it was an emergency. By that logic, no one should drink ever.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#98 of 110 Old 09-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
I don't drink at all, but for most people I wouldn't see it as a problem, as long as you don't feel you need it to get through the day or it doesn't make you "off".
I think the way alcohol is viewed here is very strange though, compared to much of the world.
#99 of 110 Old 09-21-2008, 01:41 AM

I haven't had a beer during the day in quite awhile, but that's mainly b/c I don't want to go over 1/day, and I really like a nice beer in the evenings. But back when I was eating the house b/c of the nursing requirements of my son, I would have two desserts in a day and two beers sometimes, and sometimes one was during the day.

If something is an emergency, I'm calling 911, not driving, anyway. I was once pushed off the road by a woman driving her family in a very emotional state, and I vowed that if I was THAT upset I wouldn't be driving. I doubt her insurance company liked her all that much after the accident she caused, and I would hate to have my rates raised like that. She didn't even notice; her nephew in a rear-facing seat (big van, I guess) had to tell her she had run someone off the road! Anyway, I would call for an ambulance if there were an emergency.

I also don't see "after a hard day" as being a red flag for everyone. A nice microbrewed beer is a luxury, it tastes wonderful and is so relaxing even before it is metabolized. It would be like having chocolate pudding, if you really loved chocolate pudding. It would comfort you and be an extra treat after a hard day.

That said, you have to know yourself and be honest with yourself. A friend of mine who had her child in '97 would have one, even two, beers during any given afternoon. Although she never got into trouble, she did have to take a hard look at it when her neighbor, a SAHD that she used to have over for a brew, got a DUI while driving his kids somewhere. He was a very tall, athletic, solidly-built guy, and overestimated what he could drink and be OK, and oh boy did he pay. It let her think about her habits which was good, and even though I was nowhere near being married or having a kid, I think it was good for me as well, to have in the back of my head while making choices when DS was younger.
#100 of 110 Old 09-23-2008, 04:04 PM

Ok, kinda off topic, but I saw some Blue Moon Pumpkin Lager at the store. Is it any good? Anyone ever have anything like this? I wanted to buy some but at $9 for 6 bottles I thought I might want to get some opinions first.

(Having a Bud light right now during nap time...he he he)
#101 of 110 Old 09-24-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Ok, kinda off topic, but I saw some Blue Moon Pumpkin Lager at the store. Is it any good? Anyone ever have anything like this? I wanted to buy some but at $9 for 6 bottles I thought I might want to get some opinions first.

Blue Moon in general is good, though it's a Coors product, so if you're a strong Bud supporter you might rethink it. I've never had their pumpkin lager though.
#102 of 110 Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 PM

Drinking a pear cider right now....

Oldie but a goodie thread I guess.

Alcoholism shatters lives. If I had lived through that I'd probably be wary of alcohol as many of the PP are. But, alcohol doesn't cause alcoholism.

Alcohol is part of the human experience. The consumption of alcohol is as old as civilization and pretty must every culture has 'brews' unique to them. It's a part of our celebrations, our traditions and cuisine.

North Americans are so uptight about it. It must be our puritanical roots. There's definitely something wrong with a society that will give you a gun and send you off to war before you're old enough to buy a beer.

I found it so refreshing in France that the children would have a glass of wine with their supper. I don't expect they'll go on drinking binges when they get to college.

The distinction must be made between 'drinking' and 'getting drunk'.

Drinking alone? Fine. You can eat alone Why pass on the chianti because there's no one to share the pasta?

Getting drunk alone? Pathetic. No argument there.

I don't think there's any bad time of day to have a drink either. Some cultures have a beer with breakfast.

I have no problem having a drink or two during the day or night while alone with DD. It doesn't impair my judgement and I can drive should an emergency arise.

and
#103 of 110 Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 PM

I do not think you are weird but it is not something I would recommend doing with kids.
#104 of 110 Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsadvice View Post
I do not think you are weird but it is not something I would recommend doing with kids.
but why?

and
#105 of 110 Old 10-02-2008, 02:55 AM

Icome from a long line of alcoholics; my mother is an advanced stage alcoholic and we have very little of a relationship. I have gone around and around on this issue. I now live in Germany --the beer and Reislings are soooogood!!! I dont gt drunk, but usually have a glass of wine while making dinner. I am VERY careful.

I do know what stress does to the body--major chemical reactions that arent good for anyone. We live in stressful time. If a glass of wine or beer helps to relax you- reduce the adrenaline reactions happening in the body--then its a great medicinal purpose.

I am leaving for Rome in 2 days. Im sure I'll be having some wine.

I would like to say that with my family history , I am very in tune and "rechecking" myself often on this. Living abroad has helped me lighten up-cautiously. I do gt concerned about the increase in breast cancer risks by having more than 1 drink a day--having 2 a day increases your chances by 50%! I stick to 1
#106 of 110 Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
Blue Moon in general is good, though it's a Coors product, so if you're a strong Bud supporter you might rethink it. I've never had their pumpkin lager though.
Mmmmm it is good, I am having one right now. My one beer limit :
#107 of 110 Old 10-02-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Well, I bought some pumpkin lager last night just for you. The jury's still out though, as I decided to have coffee ice cream at the same time, and it was NOT a taste sensation as a combo. I will update tonight.
#108 of 110 Old 10-02-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
Well, I bought some pumpkin lager last night just for you. The jury's still out though, as I decided to have coffee ice cream at the same time, and it was NOT a taste sensation as a combo. I will update tonight.
Hey be sure and update me! You must have it REALLY REALLLLLLLY cold to drink...MMmmmmmm....very good!:
#109 of 110 Old 10-02-2008, 05:05 PM

I'v ehad the pumpkin lager- it is DIVINE IMHO!
#110 of 110 Old 10-02-2008, 06:06 PM

I work from home, and am done by 3 most days. At 4:30 or so I like to have a glass of wine and DD and I hang out on the couch and watch Giada on the Food Channel before I start our dinner.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page