Can we start a tribe for financially challenged SAHMs? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 44 Old 07-28-2005, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh~I forgot to answer the question!

I have always wanted to be a SAHM. Even before I had kids. I loved the thought of running a household.....but it was much easier in my imagination! I still love it though.

DH and I had discussed it for about a year, but financially we couldn't do it at that time.
When I got pregnant again, we realized that we would be paying WAY too much for childcare for the two girls and it wouldn't even be worth it. I'd be working only to pay childcare costs.
When we decided to go for it, we didn't plan at all really. The only planning we did was figure out how much we'd be paying the daycare center. When we saw that, I put in my 2 week notice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 07-28-2005, 05:10 PM

I've been a SAHM for almost a year now and finances are tight but we're doing ok. My dh kind of put his foot down when I was pregnant and said that one of us was staying home one way ir another or we were not keeping the baby. We weren't going to have her for someone else to raise her. I had been raised in childcare and saw nothing wrong with it and he had a SAHM and thought that was the only way. So he joined the Air Force and I stay home. I wouldn't have it any other way though. DD is the best thing to ever happen to me and it would break my heart to leave her with others. Sure, we only have one car, I'm paying off an old student loan, (in a career I've decided never to return to, may I add) but no CC debt. The CD decision and BFing have saved us a bundle. So, I never saw myself as a SAHM but now I couldn't see myself doing anything else. At least for now
#33 of 44 Old 07-28-2005, 06:50 PM

Hi mamas, add me to the list!

I always wanted to be a mama growing up, a sahm in particular. My mom was a sahm mom too and I think that influenced me a lot. Then I worked in the baby/toddler room at a daycare and knew for sure that was not what I wanted for my child... maybe some day cares were better than that one but I believe I can raise my child best by not putting her in daycare and am going to avoid it if at all possible. (disclaimer: no judgement or offense to mamas who have kiddos in daycare. this is just my thoughts on my child.)

That being said, we are very 'financially challenged'. DH does not make much at all. We are supplementing our income at the moment with inheritance from a rich grandpa (thank you, DH's rich grandpa, rest your soul!) but I am trying to arrange our budget so that we don't have to rely on that money or our credit card. We live on my in-law's land in the old family farmhouse, so we do not pay for housing at least.

That all being said, if we ever want a house of our own (which would be nice, as this place is TINY. Cute, yes, but tiny.) I am going to have to go back to work, at least part time. Luckily the inlaws live right next door and my family also lives in the area, so we wouldn't have to pay for childcare. As at least one pp said, if we had to pay for childcare so I could go back to work, that would eat up all the money I'd make! Not being a skilled/degreed person.

My daughter is just two months old and it has been kind of rough, being the one most responsible for her round the clock. But I love it and hope it can continue. We're hoping/planning on homeschooling too!
#34 of 44 Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome everyone to our tribe!

I just put my two weeks' notice in at my 10 hour a week job, because we only have one car now and we couldn't work out transportation. It was a job I was doing just for the love of it, not for the $$, but still . . .

In two weeks I will be a true-blue FCSAHM. Yikes!! :LOL

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#35 of 44 Old 07-30-2005, 08:43 AM

I just became a SAHM this year and I am loving it. We budget a lot tighter but I love that we don't pay childcare anymore. So much stress came off me when I quit working because I have a few special needs children and I was always trying to juggle work and illnesses. Now I have all the time in the world to help at school and talk to my kids. I love not missing anything. I just stress about money sometimes. My DH's pay fluctuates so I am always trying to tuck away for the slow times and I hate that. But I just stay optimistic and I even have my kids in the saving money mode. They bargain shop and compare right along with me.
#36 of 44 Old 07-30-2005, 11:54 AM

"Did you always know you would be a SAHM, or did you make the decision after your dc were born? If so, did you spend a while preparing for the transition financially or did you just go for it?"

Before dd was born, we saved up enough $ that dh took 2 months off and I took 6 months off. I didn't plan to be a SAHM, I orginally planned to work full-time while dh worked part-time from home, but that lasted 2 hellish weeks before we rearranged everything so dh worked full-time from home and I worked part-time in an office. Now I'm in the midst of switching from the part-time office job to SAHM... with a toy booth at a local flea market on Saturdays to make a little extra money. We're figuring out where we can save $ to make this work, so wish us luck!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#37 of 44 Old 07-31-2005, 12:09 PM

So glad to have found this tribe... DH and I have just decided for me to be a SAHM and I am nervous about the financial repercussions, though I am feeling SO happy that I will be home with Oliver. I'd always hoped to be a SAHM, but thought we would be better off financially. Just knowing that there's this great community here makes me feel that much better, and somehow more confident about our decision!

Amy

Wife to Adam and Mom to Oliver (6/5/05)
#38 of 44 Old 07-31-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiekicks
So glad to have found this tribe... DH and I have just decided for me to be a SAHM and I am nervous about the financial repercussions, though I am feeling SO happy that I will be home with Oliver. I'd always hoped to be a SAHM, but thought we would be better off financially. Just knowing that there's this great community here makes me feel that much better, and somehow more confident about our decision!

Amy

Wife to Adam and Mom to Oliver (6/5/05)
Welcome Amy!! Enjoy your SAH Mothering And congratualtions!!

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#39 of 44 Old 07-31-2005, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Of course you can join us Katie. I'm not "technically" a SAHM either. I do all kinds of side-stuff here and there to make extra money for our family. Right now I'm facilitating a children's support group once a week, helping our local preschool with new curriculum design, and selling some artsy-craftsy items I make at home. We FC Mamas can be so clever in coming up with ways to keep our family afloat, can't we?

Good luck with your toy booth--sounds like a great idea!

My Etsy Shop
#40 of 44 Old 08-01-2005, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi all, I'm a SAHM to 2 girls, 2 years and 6 months, and I love LOVE LOVE it.
Oh yes, we are definately financially challenged. Even DH, who is so laid back about money ( especailly money ) is freaking out a little about our financial situation.

To answer the question, I think that I have always just presumed that I would be a sahm. My mum did the same for us, so it was just second nature to me to do the same.
I was married in Novemebr of 2001, moved from FL. to RI in December and was pregnant in March 2002. I waitressed until about October 2002 ( brutal job whilst pg ) and gave birth to my first dd in Dec 2002. We just kind of fell into the traditional Bread winner Man and sahm, never really talked too much about it.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#41 of 44 Old 10-10-2005, 05:27 PM

i knew i wanted to be a sahm but it took almost 2 yrs for me to get there...i quit even though it wasnt a smart thing to do now we're hurting but i'm still home...and plan to stay here we'll just have to dig our way out...oh well i love being home
#42 of 44 Old 10-10-2005, 06:31 PM

YES, financially challenged!
I always knew I'd stay home. Dh and I moved from a high cost living area to a lower to accomadate our decreased income once ds was born. Unfortunately by the time we got here the cost of living (at least real estate) had soared. Dh was determined to buy and not throw money away on rent anymore. But now we've bought a little out of our budget, but the lowest on the market available. I was waiting tables before and not using my environmental education degree. I've thought of wahming or taking ds to work somewhere, but finding what or where is the problem. Plus I really don't want to, but I will definatley not work out of the home without ds!

Sahm, Marianne
#43 of 44 Old 10-12-2005, 01:20 AM

Can I join???? Financially challanged is a perfect description for us!

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#44 of 44 Old 10-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdypea
Did you always know you would be a SAHM, or did you make the decision after your dc were born? If so, did you spend a while preparing for the transition financially or did you just go for it?
I kinda did all of the above :LOL I always wanted to be a SAHM but with today's cost of living, I never thought it was actually a possibility. . . . Then I got pregnant. At that time I was assistant manager at Family Dollar, but really I was more like the Manager's slave : . It was an extremely stressful job, and DH and I knew too much stress could be bad for the baby, so we prayed about it, and felt the right thing to do would be to quit. So I did. A week later, I started bleeding ALOT. I went to the hospital, and they told me I had a "Threatened Miscarriage". So, basically, I ALMOST lost the baby. But I didn't (and boy, am I grateful). That was the big flashing neon sign telling us that I needed to SAH. And that was that. And now, even though we are Financially challenged, we are happier than ever (well...most days, anyway )

aknit.gif trekkie.gif mama to DS reading.gif and DD energy.gif autismribbon.gif  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page